Where we COULD be right now.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
OK, so I'm an eternal optimistic. But, here's where Iowa State could be in football right now.
Kent State-with even a decent effort and half the turnovers, this is an I State win, we are 1-0
Northern Iowa-same story. Game could have come down to a field goal, and I State pulls it out
2-0
Iowa-Iowa State wins with Shaggy staring
3-0
Toledo-Iowa State flurting with top 25, getting some votes. Big win
4-0
Nebraska-Iowa State comes in ranked 22 in the country. Takes a close win.
5-0
Texas Tech-Iowa State ranked 18th in the nation loses
5-1
Texas-Big TV game, but Cyclones lose
5-2
Oklahoma-chance for Iowa State to redeem themselves, pull out a victory
6-2
Missouri-Battle for Big 12 North, ISU again in Top 25 and wins at Columbia
7-2
Kansas State-Cyclones ranked 12th in the nation, need a big win....
(Hey, I only said it could have happened)

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Well, we could play the UNI game next Saturday and the result would be very similar IMO.

We should have beat Toledo, no doubt about that.

Kent State? That game is still very iffy to me the way they ran it down our throats in the second half.

Nebraska was already in the tank when we played them and we still couldn't get the job done.

Texas Tech would still cause problems for our secondary, especially the lack of depth we apparently have back there.

So basically we could be 3-6 if we got to do somethings over again. Still got a ways to go.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Holy Cow man I love the picture you just put in my head! Now my only question for you is why is the water in Owatonna so damn good, what ever is in that stuff you need to ship some up North. :smile: Someday my friend that prediction will be a bad year for us. Someday.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
OK, so I'm an eternal optimistic. But, here's where Iowa State could be in football right now.
Kent State-with even a decent effort and half the turnovers, this is an I State win, we are 1-0
Northern Iowa-same story. Game could have come down to a field goal, and I State pulls it out
2-0
3-0
4-0
5-0
5-1
5-2
6-2
7-2

I hope you have a designated driver

C

Cyclone42

Ummm... this is the most meaningless post I've ever read. You must have a really short memory. I mean, a REALLY REALLY short memory, as in milliseconds. Up until the Oklahoma game, we were BAD. Really bad. God-awfully bad. Stink-to-high-heaven bad. So bad Chizik's job might appear on Mike Rowe's show on the Discovery Channel, that bad. There was just no way were were going to win those games, period. End of story.

H

HGPuck

We could have and should have won some of those games. It wasn't about the other team it was about our own mistakes...

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Ummm... this is the most meaningless post I've ever read. You must have a really short memory. I mean, a REALLY REALLY short memory, as in milliseconds. Up until the Oklahoma game, we were BAD. Really bad. God-awfully bad. Stink-to-high-heaven bad. So bad Chizik's job might appear on Mike Rowe's show on the Discovery Channel, that bad. There was just no way were were going to win those games, period. End of story.

My memory isn't that short. We had Toledo won until the meltdown. And if I remember, Kent State was turnovers from Sandvig and Meyer that cost the game. And I was at the Nebraska game. Meyers pass interceptions cost us the game. So I agree, we did not win the games. But if the skill positions started the season as assets instead of liabliities, the rest of the team MIGHT have risen to the challenge.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
NE0401013e043.jpg

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
You've gone and mixed up the Playstation 3 world and the real world. This looks more like a NCAA 08 season but I wouldn't see how we'd be ranked after beating Kent State, a bad Iowa team, Toledo, and UNI. Just wouldn't happen. Not with where we started the season in most eyes. You shouldn't probably provide some reasoning as to why we would have won those games.

But seriously, coulda, shoulda, woulda, but didn't.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Pfft, 2 losses?? And you call yourself optimistic. Everyone can obviously see we're just 8 plays away from being the most dominant team in NCAA history. A couple less turnovers here, a few dozen touchdowns there and we're undefeated. GO CYCLONES!!

Other answers that will be accepted are: Remainder of B12 comes down with the plague, ISU wins by default. And crazy ISU fanatic sniper sets up shop on top of JTS and mows down opponents en route to ISU victories.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The first two games we played with little passion, Toledo was a meltdown, Nebraska could have been had, Oklahoma was doable and Missouri was possible. Only two blowouts and Texas sounded worse by the score than it was. We could have, yet we were not good enougnh to take advantage. Maybe in a couple of years.

Last edited:

cyclone79

Apr 17, 2006
2-0
3-0
4-0
5-0
5-1
5-2
6-2
7-2

I agree but we decided to train a new staff. Hopefully it won't take 6 years for these guys to have a winning season.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
Pfft, 2 losses?? And you call yourself optimistic. Everyone can obviously see we're just 8 plays away from being the most dominant team in NCAA history. A couple less turnovers here, a few dozen touchdowns there and we're undefeated. GO CYCLONES!!

Other answers that will be accepted are: Remainder of B12 comes down with the plague, ISU wins by default. And crazy ISU fanatic sniper sets up shop on top of JTS and mows down opponents en route to ISU victories.

Wow, must be fun to be such an optimistic person. Why do you bother. I think Ketelmeisters point was this COULD have happened. I've been at all the games home and away and this team has improved tremendously. And I agree if you take some of the most blantent turnovers away, the record could have been different. I appreciate the spirit of the thread. Shows things can get better.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Well, we could play the UNI game next Saturday and the result would be very similar IMO.

We should have beat Toledo, no doubt about that.

Kent State? That game is still very iffy to me the way they ran it down our throats in the second half.

Nebraska was already in the tank when we played them and we still couldn't get the job done.

Texas Tech would still cause problems for our secondary, especially the lack of depth we apparently have back there.

So basically we could be 3-6 if we got to do somethings over again. Still got a ways to go.

I disagree on UNI. If my memory serves me, the first drive of the game we were moving the ball into their territory, before Meyer threw the pick. If we get points, rather than giving them the ball with good field position, that changes the tone of the game. Then, after they scored, we came back and scored. On the ensuing drive, our defense forced a three-and-out. They punted, and Sadvig fumbled. Again excellent field position for them instead of (potential) points for us. We were done at that point. If a couple of breaks had gone our way, however, it could've easily been a different game, and we could've won.