Winners and Losers in the Draft

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
Who do you think had a good draft and who failed miserably?

I think the Lions got a steal w/ Fairley and that defensive line is gonna be good for along time to come. If the packers werent in that division and if stafford could stay healthy, they'd be winning the division in 2 or 3 year

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Losers: Redskins - Niles Paul :wink:

I don't think their ineptitude was limited to just Niles Paul. They got a ton of picks, but nearly every one arrives with questions, except maybe Kerrigan.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
i think the chiefs failed when they picked up stanzi. if they were serious about a QB they should have gotten mallet or dalton in the 2nd or 3rd round

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
i think the chiefs failed when they picked up stanzi. if they were serious about a QB they should have gotten mallet or dalton in the 2nd or 3rd round

I don't like Stankzi any more than the next guy, but for a 5th rounder, intended to be a backup, he's not a bad pick. He'll hold a clipboard for a while, maybe his whole career, but he'll probably keep his roster spot.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009

I think the Lions got a steal w/ Fairley and that defensive line is gonna be good for along time to come. If the packers werent in that division and if stafford could stay healthy, they'd be winning the division in 2 or 3 year
Just a reminder, Packers didn't win the division last year.

I liked
Colts-Drake Nevis, Castonzo
Lions-Fairley, Titus Young, Leshoure
Patriots- Solder, Mallett, Dowling
Cardinals- Peterson, Ryan Williams

Didn't like
49ers-Aldon Smith at 7, Kaepernick
Vikings first 2 picks, I liked the Ballard, Burton picks
Bills- I think they'll regret picking Dareus over Peterson/AJ Green. Aaron Williams bleh

I hope
The Cowboys drafted players can play up to their talent level. Tyron Smith, DeMarco Murray, and Bruce Carter can be beasts.
Da'quan Bower's Knee is perfectly fine, and he shows up all the doctors
Ponder/Mallett(even though I hate the Patriots) become the best QBs in this draft

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
I don't like Stankzi any more than the next guy, but for a 5th rounder, intended to be a backup, he's not a bad pick. He'll hold a clipboard for a while, maybe his whole career, but he'll probably keep his roster spot.

ya but we need a backup for cassel he's old (in football years) and we need a more reliable passer

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
ya but we need a backup for cassel he's old (in football years) and we need a more reliable passer
QBs can play for a long time, and you weren't gonna get a more reliable qb than Cassel in this draft.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
QBs can play for a long time, and you weren't gonna get a more reliable qb than Cassel in this draft.

not for a couple years at least. i think andy dalton would have been a reliable after sitting on the bench and learning the playbook for a couple years

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
How would they get Dalton, though? He went as the 3rd pick of the 2nd round. Should KC have passed on Baldwin to take Dalton?

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
How would they get Dalton, though? He went as the 3rd pick of the 2nd round. Should KC have passed on Baldwin to take Dalton?

i would have traded up to get him since they picked up a bunch of picks after they traded down in the first round.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
i would have traded up to get him since they picked up a bunch of picks after they traded down in the first round.

Say what you want about Ricky but he was a very good QB last year as far as stats go, he struggled in his So and Jr years but last year he was very comparable to Dalton and Ricky played better teams.

Dalton Stats:

2010 - Attempts/Completions 309/216 for 66.1%, 27TDs with 6 INT, for a 166.5 Rating

Stanzi Stats:

2010 - 345-221 for 64.1%, 25 TD's with 6 INT, for a 157.6 Rating

I know its only one game but Stanzi had a much better game against Wisconsin in 2010 than Dalton did.

Dalton is a much better runner than Stanzi but running isnt really what you are asking them to do.

If I had to put money on it I would bet that they are both decent NFL QB's but neither are starters or at least starter quality.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

I'm a Bears fan and the Fairley pick scares the hell out of me. Fairley, Suh, Vanden Bosch, thats a nice DL. The Titus Young and Leshore picks were good too. Detroit has a lot of nice young pieces now, just have to keep Stafford healthy.

I also think Mallett is going to turn out to be by far the best QB to come out of this draft and him going in the third round is an absolute steal by the Pats.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado

He is 28 and will be on his 3rd season as a true "starter". How is that old? The Chiefs did not need a starting QB. Unless Cassel stops his progression and starts to decline this year (not sure why he would, he is only 28), the Chiefs just need a better backup. A 5th round pick on someone who will be a backup for most (or all) of his career is not a bad pick. He can learn the offense in the next 2-3 years and develop into a capable backup. I think nearly anyone in the draft would be better suited than Croyle, however. I don't think the Chiefs were trying to pick up their future star QB...they were trying to provide capable depth to a position that they desperately needed depth at.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
He is 28 and will be on his 3rd season as a true "starter". How is that old? The Chiefs did not need a starting QB. Unless Cassel stops his progression and starts to decline this year (not sure why he would, he is only 28), the Chiefs just need a better backup. A 5th round pick on someone who will be a backup for most (or all) of his career is not a bad pick. He can learn the offense in the next 2-3 years and develop into a capable backup. I think nearly anyone in the draft would be better suited than Croyle, however. I don't think the Chiefs were trying to pick up their future star QB...they were trying to provide capable depth to a position that they desperately needed depth at.

Hell the guy has hardly any miles on him at all! Hes always been a backup!

cyzguy

Sep 2, 2010
The Packers were most certainly winners! Wow did they just get a lot better! Ol Teddy Thompson seems to be really good at late round value?!?!

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I'm a Bears fan and the Fairley pick scares the hell out of me. Fairley, Suh, Vanden Bosch, thats a nice DL. The Titus Young and Leshore picks were good too. Detroit has a lot of nice young pieces now, just have to keep Stafford healthy.

I also think Mallett is going to turn out to be by far the best QB to come out of this draft and him going in the third round is an absolute steal by the Pats.

x2

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Yeah, and its not like he is going to be any worse than Brodie Croyle. He has proven over and over again that he can't win in the NFL.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

not for a couple years at least. i think andy dalton would have been a reliable after sitting on the bench and learning the playbook for a couple years

Based on your username alone - you can't debate this particular subject without bias. Move along. :)

I personally don't think the Stanzi pick was a bad one. IMO, he will have a Sage Rosenfels like NFL career. Backup QB that may get the chance to start because of injury - but won't be consistent enough to truly compete for a starting gig.