Recruit Genarlow Wilson

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I think we would be setting an example that everyone in the United States already knows.....this ruling, has ruined this young mans life....well, he gets a scholarship offer to play ball at ISU this would be one minor step in rebuilding this young mans life.

Great article about his situation....

ESPN.com - E-Ticket: Outrageous Injustice

His athletic ability - his last two years of high school he was a DB assigned to cover their rivals best player - he had 4 catches in two games no touchdowns. Oh by the way, that receiver was Calvin Johnson from Georgia Tech who was pretty good...

I know what's going on over at EIU, but, this is nothing similar...this kid is not a thug, he had consensual oral sex with a classmate, she just happened to be a freshman and he a senior as happens everyday at some school in america. But, this kid gets sent to jail....I remember back to my high school, if this were the law in Iowa half my high school graduating class would have been gone.

Send a message that this is a tragedy that should never have happened....the schools that were recruiting him before the incident were at the top of the athletic and academic lists - were talking a quality kid - give him a shot.

Last edited:

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
I think we would be setting an example that everyone in the United States already knows.....this ruling, has ruined this young mans life....well, he gets a scholarship offer to play ball at ISU this would be one minor step in rebuilding this young mans life.

Great article about his situation....

ESPN.com - E-Ticket: Outrageous Injustice

His athletic ability - his last two years of high school he was a DB assigned to cover their rivals best player - he had 4 catches in two games no touchdowns. Oh by the way, that receiver was Calvin Johnson from Georgia Tech who was pretty good...

I know what's going on over at EIU, but, this is nothing similar...this kid is not a thug, he had consensual oral sex with a classmate, she just happened to be a freshman and he a senior as happens everyday at some school in america. But, this kid gets sent to jail....I remember back to my high school, if this were the law in Iowa half my high school graduating class would have been gone, including me.....

Send a message that this is a tragedy that should never have happened....the schools that were recruiting him before the incident were at the top of the athletic and academic lists - were talking a quality kid - give him a shot.

Are you kidding me with this post?

Let him have his chance on someone else's dime. We are rebuilding and we are not trying to send a message to anyone. I would not touch this with a "10-foot poll"....we do not have the schollies to waste on a PR move. He is out and should not have been in jail...

Last edited:

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i actually some what agree... i think we should look into this guy.. he is a good player and not a bad guy..

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Freshman weren't like that at my school. Sucks for me though, huh?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I would guesstimate that 10-15% of people, if not more, have been involved in something similar during their high school career.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
we do not have the schollies to waste on a PR move.

ITS not a PR move, although indirectly just like so many on here discussing Jack Elway when we already would have 4 qb under schollies....

This kids was a stud DB (5star quality) and judging by the academic schools that were recruiting him, he's smart...this kids been humbled and given the opportunity i would bet he would give the type of intensity and effort you would want out of everyone of our student athletes....

So you know, the reason i posted this, was because a friend of mine who's a huge Vols fan sent me the link where they're discussing it on their board....but i agree....

If he can shut down Calvin Johnson and were short on DB's, his body is matured by a couple of years, i think its worth the schollie....

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
ITS not a PR move, although indirectly just like so many on here discussing Jack Elway when we already would have 4 qb under schollies....

This kids was a stud DB (5star quality) and judging by the academic schools that were recruiting him, he's smart...this kids been humbled and given the opportunity i would bet he would give the type of intensity and effort you would want out of everyone of our student athletes....

So you know, the reason i posted this, was because a friend of mine who's a huge Vols fan sent me the link where they're discussing it on their board....but i agree....

If he can shut down Calvin Johnson and were short on DB's, his body is matured by a couple of years, i think its worth the schollie....

It would be a complete PR move...come on seriously...this guy has been in jail forever...thanks but no thanks...sad story, but definately a wasted schollie unless it is a D-2 school.:skeptical:

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Umm...maybe it's just me, but a senior guy and a freshman girl seems a little iffy, regardless. I try to stay within my own age-range. Regardless, the kid did get a pretty raw deal.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It would be a complete PR move...come on seriously...this guy has been in jail forever...thanks but no thanks...sad story, but definately a wasted schollie unless it is a D-2 school.:skeptical:

Yeah, because no one ever goes to jail and comes out with the athleticism they once had. Not Muhammed Ali, Jamal Lewis, Jason Berryman or any of a host of others. If he can play, he's worth a look. I think most of us agree that what he did wasn't really a crime, and certainly that the punishment didn't fit with what he did.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
But would the cloud be constantly surrounding him? Think about it. Say he excels and takes us to bowl games, etc. Would the media talk about the player or the criminal aspect? Do we want that kind of attention? Im not saying yay or nay, but you know how the media is.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Yeah, because no one ever goes to jail and comes out with the athleticism they once had. Not Muhammed Ali, Jamal Lewis, Jason Berryman or any of a host of others. If he can play, he's worth a look. I think most of us agree that what he did wasn't really a crime, and certainly that the punishment didn't fit with what he did.

Exactly.....and unlike the aforementioned, i'm not even looking at the jail time as an issue....everyone thats seen this case laughs at Georgia, it mad an a^* out of itself....

What i meant was, this kid might be off of a lot of programs radar, and his talent back in the day would have had him rated so high that he probably would have been off ours as well....If the kids got the talent, and only if he's got the talent...give him a shot.....i don't want to bring him in for circus day.....but, our secondary could definately use a shot in the arm of talent and Bell will be a senior next year....

By the way, i was mistaken, not sure if it were senior/freshman or what, the only thing indicated was that it was an act that happened between people that are within 3 years of age of one another. That means technically if your 18 and shes 17, that you would apply even if you were both seniors. Just stupid......

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This is unrelated... but will Bell actually be a senior next year? I thought he came in with 3 years left to play. If not, my bad.