Jackson Announces New Cyclone Wrestlers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] AMES, Iowa – Iowa State wrestling head coach Kevin Jackson has announced his recruiting class for the 2011-12 season. There will be nine new signees joining the Cyclones next year, including some with names that Iowa State fans will immediately recognize.
The nine new signees are: Connor Clarke (Sherwood, Ore.), Logan Molina (Lincoln, Neb.), Quean Smith (Highland Park, Mich.), Bo Schlosser (Bettendorf, Iowa), Aaron Sorenson (Forest City, Iowa), Alex Spooner (Forest City, Iowa), Tyler Swope (Davenport, Iowa), Shayden Terukina (Kamehameha-Kapalama, Hawaii) and Tanner Weatherman (Huxley, Iowa). Between the nine wrestlers, they have collected 13 state titles.
“I am really excited about the group that we are bringing in,â€￾ Jackson said. “I think that we have identified some really talented kids that have the ability to make an immediate impact, and if they are the best kids we have at that weight, they will wrestle.â€￾

More online at Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports.

[/FONT]

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Not a bad class. It addresses our immediate needs and also brings in some guys who have a year or two to develop before stepping into the line-up.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I agree that there are no blue chippers in this class. I do hope that once we get some depth and immediate needs covered, that we go after more blue chip recruit. Problems that were addressed are Hwt; with Kyle just coming off pretty extensive knee surgery and Matt Gibson not making grades 1st semester, hwt became a question mark. Tyler Swope and Quean will provide some big bodies to the weight. Schlosser, Connor Clarke, and Shayden Terukin will provide depth at 125, 133.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Where did the kid from Davenport Assumption go...Grothus? I'm not sure on the spelling of his name.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Where did the kid from Davenport Assumption go...Grothus? I'm not sure on the spelling of his name.

Iowa. I really hoped we could have gotten him. We weren't in final 3, they were Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Iowa. I really hoped we could have gotten him. We weren't in final 3, they were Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma.
Wow...ISU has almost fallen off the face of the earth for wrestling. This kid is going to be very good.

This class is sad...Jackson was horrible hire. Actually, he was one of the very few people that wanted to coach ISU.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
A little early to make those assumptions. A very good class last year. And the current high school juniors in the state of Iowa are very good. We need depth, we thought we were getting something very good in Chris Drouin, then he got hurt and cost us alot, because we didn't have DEPTH.
I hope we have some money next year. Gabe Moreno hopefully is a sure thing. Then add in Iowa talent like Hathaway, Devos, Clark, Peters, Bremer, Laux for little weights. Middle weights like Gabe, Witte, and Meyer. Upper weights like Miklus, Koethe and Scanlan. Throw in potential out of state studs like Bruno, Massa, and Liberatore that I heard we are looking at. If we could get a 1/4 of these kids that will be a very good class.
Just wasn't alot in Iowa this year. U of I only signed Grothus from the state and Trizzino as a walk on.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
A little early to make those assumptions. A very good class last year. And the current high school juniors in the state of Iowa are very good. We need depth, we thought we were getting something very good in Chris Drouin, then he got hurt and cost us alot, because we didn't have DEPTH.
I hope we have some money next year. Gabe Moreno hopefully is a sure thing. Then add in Iowa talent like Hathaway, Devos, Clark, Peters, Bremer, Laux for little weights. Middle weights like Gabe, Witte, and Meyer. Upper weights like Miklus, Koethe and Scanlan. Throw in potential out of state studs like Bruno, Massa, and Liberatore that I heard we are looking at. If we could get a 1/4 of these kids that will be a very good class.
Our recruiting ties hurt us.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Our recruiting ties hurt us.

I agree that we have to develop those ties. Hopefully we are with Brandon, Florida (whrere Joey Cozart is from). They have 3 guys ranked high in Bruno #1 at 130, Liberatore #1 at 135, and Glass #5 at 152. I here alot of people in the wrestling forum that think KJ is a class act and hopefully that will pay dividends. Even Trizzino with strong Iowa ties spoke about almost going to Iowa State because he like the staff.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I agree that we have to develop those ties. Hopefully we are with Brandon, Florida (whrere Joey Cozart is from). They have 3 guys ranked high in Bruno #1 at 130, Liberatore #1 at 135, and Glass #5 at 152. I here alot of people in the wrestling forum that think KJ is a class act and hopefully that will pay dividends. Even Trizzino with strong Iowa ties spoke about almost going to Iowa State because he like the staff.
Nice guy only get's you so far.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Just wasn't alot in Iowa this year. U of I only signed Grothus from the state and Trizzino as a walk on.

as 1 who went to the same school as Jordan, i can vouch that he is a feaking animal. my concern is his ability to pack any weight on. he had to cut a little to make it to 103 this year as a jr, and surely will have more next year as a sr, if not bumping up to 112. that said, 112 and 125 d1 college are 2 totally different animals. i hope he does it, love watching him go.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I'm a wrestling novice compared to most people on this board. Hell, my H.S. didn't even offer it. But if all the thing I've read about KJ are true, we're on the right track. He was the one I wanted for the job just because he wanted to be here because he love ISU & wrestling. From what I've read he is a hella good teacher, I think Reader pretty much answered that question for me. He wasn't a national champ when Cael was here was he. He was coached & worked to a title, and in that order. I love his fire and energy.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
2011-2012 lineup projections
I may have a few guys at the wrong weights. Still some speculating to do.

125 (7) - Hunter (JR), Dearden (JR), Jones (SO), Finch (RFr), Moody (RFr), Hallman (RFr), Spooner (Fr)
133 (3) - Cash (SO), Clarke (Fr), Schlosser (Fr),
141 (3) - Goettl (RFr), Mayfield (JR), Terukina (Fr)
149 (3) - Cozart (RFr), Aa. Sorenson (Fr), Hathaway (Fr)
157 (3) - Tr. Weatherman (SO),Moreno (RFr), Thompson (Fr)
165 (2) - An. Sorenson (SR), Pappas (RFr)
174 (5) - Spangler (JR,England (RFr), Wilson (RFr), Ta. Weatherman (Fr), Molina (Fr)
184 (4) - Ward (SR), Shafer (SO), Christensen (SO), Riley (RFr),
197 (4) - Hawes (SR), Schrock (SR), Gadson (RFr), Voelker (RFr)
HWT (5) - Simonson (SR), Gibson (JR), Tennant (RFr), Smith (Fr), Swope (Fr)

The name in bold is the projected starter

As you see the depth is alot better and hopefully prevents us from forfeiting weights when an injury occurs.

Last edited: