Car Repair: Automatic Window

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Looking for advice on repairing an automatic window in my car. I heard a snap just a few days ago when I was rolling up my window... when I looked over, the front end of the passenger window was dipping into the interior of the car door. With the winter approaching, and especially since I keep my car outdoors in the dorm parking lot, this needs to be fixed!

Does anyone know of a place in Ames that's close to campus where they fix this sort of thing?

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
You might need to take it to a body shop. I'm come across some garages that won't touch things like that. Most body shops have the experience and tools to take your door apart and put it back together properly.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Come on, just duct tape a trash bag around it. =) I never had to get my car repaired in Ames. Sorry Im no help.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
Looking for advice on repairing an automatic window in my car. I heard a snap just a few days ago when I was rolling up my window... when I looked over, the front end of the passenger window was dipping into the interior of the car door. With the winter approaching, and especially since I keep my car outdoors in the dorm parking lot, this needs to be fixed!

Does anyone know of a place in Ames that's close to campus where they fix this sort of thing?

I think Tuffy's can probably handle it for you. When I have problems with my car that is usually where I take it, they are really good with customer service, they gave me something free one time in exchange for hoping I would come back later to get my transmission fluid flushed with them. The thing I got for free was worth like 30 bucks too.

Just for reference, Tuffy's is over on Duff between the new Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
You might need to take it to a body shop. I'm come across some garages that won't touch things like that. Most body shops have the experience and tools to take your door apart and put it back together properly.

If you wanna go that route, take it to Wayne Larson's they did the work on my car when some lady hit it on her way out of a parking spot, did good and quick work. But I have a feeling in an issue like this it would cost more at Larson's than Tuffy's but you would probably just have to call and ask for a quote.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Oh I miss my 90 accord. Low sitting car with bucket seats. Lots of leg room. Good times. Hold onto that car forever. Never let her go.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Oh I miss my 90 accord. Low sitting car with bucket seats. Lots of leg room. Good times. Hold onto that car forever. Never let her go.

Yeah, it used to be my dad's, and he's taken extra care over the years to keep it in great condition. With the exception of this window, it's still in pretty good shape.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I am thinking the window regulator is your problem. Its the part that raises/lowers you window and keeps it aligned correctly. Did it pop about the time the window was going into the groove in the top part of the door? Here is a link to show you the part....

1991 91 Honda Accord Window Regulator with Power Motor (4 Door) Front Door Passenger Side at Underbid.com

If you are mechanically inclined, you could probably do it yourself. If not then I posted it so you can see what you could buy it for. My experience with some of the garages I took my vehicle to(Benson Buick), they know they do a lot of work for niave(sp) college kids and gouge the crap out of you. If you can take the door panel off I think the window clips on to the top rail on the picture. If it is glued that is another story then. Hope this helps......if it didn't sorry for wasting your time....:mask:

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I am thinking the window regulator is your problem. Its the part that raises/lowers you window and keeps it aligned correctly. Did it pop about the time the window was going into the groove in the top part of the door? Here is a link to show you the part....

1991 91 Honda Accord Window Regulator with Power Motor (4 Door) Front Door Passenger Side at Underbid.com

If you are mechanically inclined, you could probably do it yourself. If not then I posted it so you can see what you could buy it for. My experience with some of the garages I took my vehicle to(Benson Buick), they know they do a lot of work for niave(sp) college kids and gouge the crap out of you. If you can take the door panel off I think the window clips on to the top rail on the picture. If it is glued that is another story then. Hope this helps......if it didn't sorry for wasting your time....:mask:

That helped, thanks! I don't have any experience in repairing my own car, but at least I know what to ask for. Yes, the window did pop about the time when it was about to align itself with the top groove of the door.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Most places in Ames will bend you over $$$-wise. If you can, take it to Boone or Nevada.

Be prepared though, I had to spend $500 when my automatic window assembly thing broke.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
If you can do it yourself, look into a salvage yard. No need to buy new. Look them up online. There are plenty in the area. In fact, I found a part for my 00 Blazer, when we had it, from a place there in Ames. It's worth a shot and will save you a lot of money.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
You might even get a salvage yard employee to help you install it. Either that or do you know any friends who work on cars? If you want to learn, some salvage yards would have you take the part off the car in the yard and that way you can learn on the junked out car before you work on your own....

If nothing else, get the part and I'll work on it during tailgating if you supply the food and drink........:goofy:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
And then there is always Gorilla Glue if you do not want to use a baggy.

Or you could buy a snowmobile suit and full face helmet for when you drive it in the winter. Waterproof suit that is after a snowstorm fills part of the accord with snow....which you could use in place of a fridge to keep the food and beverage cool.....:twitcy:

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
This is why I refuse to own a car with electric doors/windows/locks.

Knowing some basic vehicle maintenance is a great investment.