Why Can't Curtis Stinson Get Into The NBA?

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I don't think he has been getting "called up" due to the fact that the Iowa Energy's tie in franchises are the Suns and the Bulls. Two teams that definitley do not need point guard play right now.

It's unfortunate....he should be in the NBA with those numbers. Heck, he should have been in last year too.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
I don't think he has been getting "called up" due to the fact that the Iowa Energy's tie in franchises are the Suns and the Bulls. Two teams that definitley do not need point guard play right now.

It's unfortunate....he should be in the NBA with those numbers. Heck, he should have been in last year too.

The Energy have had a player signed by the Wizards and the Rockets this year... Curtis is not tied to the affiliation. He can sign with any team that wants him.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
Stinson's problem is that he is not a jump shooter, and he is now going to be 29. I think he's deserving of at least 1, 10 day contract in his life, but when you have the rep for not being able to shoot, that reputation follows you around.

I feel bad for him, but his window on going to the NBA is probably closed, since he didn't get it this year. I hope he can go somewhere internationally and make some real cash, as opposed to the 25k he makes for playing for Iowa.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I thought each player individually had some sort of affiliation tie? (On their jerseys...each guy has team logos of whom they are affiliated?) Mabey I was misinformed.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
I thought each player individually had some sort of affiliation tie? (On their jerseys...each guy has team logos of whom they are affiliated?) Mabey I was misinformed.

You are sort of right.

The Energy are affililated with Chicago and Phoenix... Meaning that Chicago and Phoenix can send guys down to Iowa to play if they do not have room for them to play up there, if they are recovering from an injury, or want to give somebody more development time.

At the same time, The Energy can sign guys who are independent from any affiliation. Curtis Stinson plays for the Energy because the Energy signed him as a free agent, or "drafted" him (can't remember)... He isn't a guy that Chicago or Phoenix signed but sent down....

There isn't enough money in that league to have all the NBA prospects play in it. A guy can make 4-5 times what they are making in the D-League overseas if they are good.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I think his biggest drawback, if not his only drawback, is his 3-point shooting percentage.

Stinson's problem is that he is not a jump shooter,

This.

In the NBA, if a guard can't hit the jumper, the defender will back off and take away the drive, making such a guard not very helpful to the offensive effort. Furthermore, if a guard can't hit the jumper, his defender can be used to double team another scorer.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
2 Reasons...not that I think these are valid:

3pt shooting: 16.1%
TO/s game: 4.5

To Curtis credit his FG % is close to 50% even with the horrendous 3pt %.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
2 Reasons...not that I think these are valid:

3pt shooting: 16.1%
TO/s game: 4.5

To Curtis credit his FG % is close to 50% even with the horrendous 3pt %.

I've watched a lot of NBA... and a good amount of D-League... Curtis can go whereever he wants in the D-League... I don't think he could do that in the NBA, as the NBA point guards are a little more quick than him. That's why at the next level, his ability to hit the jumper is needed.

Curtis is the equivalent of a MLB AAAA player. He's one of the best at the level he is at, but doesn't have the upside of the next level.. I still feel like he has earned the chance to get a 10 day contract, suit up with a team, and have the whole experience. He's a guy who could play 4-5 minutes in a game and distribute the ball.... But in the NBA, they are going to give that role to a young up and comer as opposed to a 29 year old, IMO.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron