Hooking Up Multiple Cable TV Lines

bobh33

Apr 11, 2006
When we built our house, we had them run cable TV to every room possible. I thought this was normal but both the electrician and Mediacom guy acted like they had never seen this done before. Therefore, neither one wanted to hooked them all up, so I still have half of them just hanging there in the mechanical room.

I have heard about punch boards, amplifiers, boosters, etc. etc. There are at least 15 cable outlets to hook up so what can I do to finish the job and make sure I have a solid signal going all over the house.

I am seriously missing the electrician/mechanical gene so take it easy on me when you are kind enough to try to help me out!!!!!!

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
Since you have a palatial 15 room estate, you should probably just hire an AV guy to do it for you. But here are some things to consider:

Do you have 15 tv's?
Is it analog or digital cable?
Do you have phone service or internet from Mediacom?

Best of luck.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
With an analog signal you could probably hook up nearly as many as you wanted, digital is another story I'm sure. I haven't had Mediacom since 2005 but my basic cable I could hook it up in as many rooms, even split the feed with one of those cheap 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 adapters on the same jack and have 2 TVs in the same room if I wanted. With digital I'm sure it's a lot like my Dish is where each feed runs off it's own receiver. You could essentially put the adapter in and split it but you's have 2 TVs running off the same receiver so they both would be seeing the same channel and not running independently.

bobh33

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks everyone! Is it true that the satellite systems have 100% pure audio coming in where cable TV does not?? It seems I never have consistent audio on our home theatre system via cable.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
When I used to install dish I saw some splitters in the basements that were pretty big. I don't know if they came from Media com or a AV shop. They would have one imput and 2 rows of 10 or so outputs. I'm pretty sure it had to have a amplifier in it of some sort, but any good AV shop should have what you need. Most important rule of thumb, every splitter you have in the system causes signal/voltage drop.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have 8 cable outlets in my house. The cable into the house goes into a combination splitter amplifier. Mine was just replaced in the last year or 2. I think the one I have now can have extra splitters added to it.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
When we built our house, we had them run cable TV to every room possible. I thought this was normal but both the electrician and Mediacom guy acted like they had never seen this done before. Therefore, neither one wanted to hooked them all up, so I still have half of them just hanging there in the mechanical room.

I have heard about punch boards, amplifiers, boosters, etc. etc. There are at least 15 cable outlets to hook up so what can I do to finish the job and make sure I have a solid signal going all over the house.

I am seriously missing the electrician/mechanical gene so take it easy on me when you are kind enough to try to help me out!!!!!!
If you find yourself needing any equipment, check out

solidsignal.com
monoprice.com

I'm sure you could find a combination splitter/amp on one of those sites for a reasonable price.

bobh33

Apr 11, 2006
Why on earth would you want to have them all hooked up? Any one that is not connected to something is basically a waste of signal strength. I'd figure out which is which, and label them, and connect them as needed.

Even with a really good amplifier/splitter, do you still lose alot of signal strength??

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Even with a really good amplifier/splitter, do you still lose alot of signal strength??

It depends. How far is the farthest pull and how many times is the signal split? I'm doubting the pull is all that far, but you could see a faint sign of visual noise if all 15 rooms share a splitter.

If it were me, I would break my home up into zones - basement, main floor, 2nd floor; or bedrooms, essential rooms (man cave, tv room, den), secondary rooms (kitchen, dining room, bathroom [I've seen it done]). Each zone would have one amplifier off the main feed and that amp feeds a splitter tapped for 4-6 rooms. The essential rooms where you know will have TVs will want to have the least amount of resistence, so figure out rooms based on importance and you can determine which rooms need amplified and which can deal with some noise. Of course, if it were me and I had 15 rooms, I would just buy an HDMI switcher and pull cat5e for a whole home audio/video distribution system:smile:

DowntownCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Ankeny

Are these homeruns from each room in the house to a central location? Or are these one coaxial cable with splitters to each room?

It sounds like the former and if so it should be fairly simple to finish them all off. I use something similar to the following in a cabinet in my basement...Amazon product

DowntownCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Ankeny
Are these homeruns from each room in the house to a central location? Or are these one coaxial cable with splitters to each room?

It sounds like the former and if so it should be fairly simple to finish them all off. I use something similar to the following in a cabinet in my basement...Amazon product

And then I see the post date