Mapleton Officer Got a Ride He Won't Forget

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Sitting in a police car as it apparently was lifted up and carried about 150 feet by a swirling tornado was not like some amusement park thrill ride. It was, instead, utterly terrifying.
“At one point I thought I possibly could be dead because it was completely quiet,â€￾ said Tony Davis, 48, a reserve Mapleton police officer and lifelong resident of the Monona County town.
Davis was pulling a police shift Saturday night, patrolling the streets of Mapleton as the tornado approached from the west.
He was driving south on 4th Street, a primary north-south route through town, toward his house — and shelter — as the tornado hit.
Davis soon realized he was driving right into the twister.

Officer got a ride he won't forget - Omaha.com

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Re: Mapleton Office Got a Ride He Won't Forget

I thought the sirens were going off for 20 minutes before the town was hit? Maybe he was driving around the streets announcing the warning over a loudspeaker and didn't realize an actual tornado was coming before it was too late?

Kind of weird since if anyone would know of this coming it would be law enforcement officials.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

I thought the sirens were going off for 20 minutes before the town was hit? Maybe he was driving around the streets announcing the warning over a loudspeaker and didn't realize an actual tornado was coming before it was too late?

Kind of weird since if anyone would know of this coming it would be law enforcement officials.

You do know that law enforcement and fire are called out to spot for tornadoes when the weather is as bad as it was on Saturday night, right? I'm surprised that there aren't more caught out in the storm like he was.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011

You do know that law enforcement and fire are called out to spot for tornadoes when the weather is as bad as it was on Saturday night, right? I'm surprised that there aren't more caught out in the storm like he was.

Spot it! Don't drive in to it. Haha

Me State

Oct 19, 2007

Do you think that police and fire fighters go into shelter when tornado sirens go off and don't come out until the storm passes?

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
My favorite line was "I remember putting my foot on the brake, dont know what good that was going to do, But i remember pressing the brake quite heavily..."

I think i probably would be doing the same....

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
My favorite line was "I remember putting my foot on the brake, dont know what good that was going to do, But i remember pressing the brake quite heavily..."

I think i probably would be doing the same....
He needed air breaks. :)
Police officers or anyone else caught in their vehicles while in a city or town are at a disadvantage. With homes, buildings, and trees all around it can sometimes be difficult to know a tornado is upon them.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Pffffft. Helen Hunt and I survived an F-5 with little more than a belt tied to a water pipe.

Sincerely,

Bill Paxton