Templeton Rye: Batch 3 vs. Batch 4

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
So a group of neighbors came over and we shared some Templeton Rye. We came to a general consensus that Batch 3 is smoother and has a crisp finish, while batch 4 left a slight burn with a "sticky" after-feeling in the mouth. Has anybody else noticed this change in quality?

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
So a group of neighbors came over and we shared some Templeton Rye. We came to a general consensus that Batch 3 is smoother and has a crisp finish, while batch 4 left a slight burn with a "sticky" after-feeling in the mouth. Has anybody else noticed this change in quality?

Great, right when I buy a bottle for my brother the quality goes down. Btw some bottles for sale in Dysart Iowa if you are looking. I will double check if you want me to.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Yes...i've done the same taste tests and the results i found were consistent with yours.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I'd join your taste test, but I'm down to half a bottle of batch 3 and don't want to waste if the quality is indeed going downhill.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
How were you able to keep a bottle of Batch 3 around long enough for Batch 4 to become avialable?? We are headed to Templeton, IA this morning for a tour of their facility.:notworthy:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I haven't had a bottle of batch 4 yet, but these are the dangers of single batch products such as this. They will have good years and bad, just like vintage wines. As with the grapes not being as good, sometimes the mix doesn't go perfect. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's a lower quality product. They don't have the benefit of multiple batches to blend together to get the perfect taste. When dealing with batches this small, it's inevitable that some years aren't going to taste like others.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I haven't had a bottle of batch 4 yet, but these are the dangers of single batch products such as this. They will have good years and bad, just like vintage wines. As with the grapes not being as good, sometimes the mix doesn't go perfect. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's a lower quality product. They don't have the benefit of multiple batches to blend together to get the perfect taste. When dealing with batches this small, it's inevitable that some years aren't going to taste like others.

We actually discussed this possibility, but except for the finish, overall the products are barley distinguishable. I would still take a glass of batch 4 over most American Whiskey.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
How were you able to keep a bottle of Batch 3 around long enough for Batch 4 to become avialable?? We are headed to Templeton, IA this morning for a tour of their facility.:notworthy:

Rationing. I've had this bottle for the past year and a half, and won't be able to get more until this summer at earliest.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron