Templeton Rye...How much is too much to pay for a bottle?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Have been on a number of waiting lists and HyVee, HyVee drug and a few stores out of Ames. Last time I got a couple bottles the going rate was about $43. I found a bottle in Ames yesterday for $69.99, plus tax. Guy says he has people traveling up from DsM to get a bottle. What do you think? Too much or not?

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Have been on a number of waiting lists and HyVee, HyVee drug and a few stores out of Ames. Last time I got a couple bottles the going rate was about $43. I found a bottle in Ames yesterday for $69.99, plus tax. Guy says he has people traveling up from DsM to get a bottle. What do you think? Too much or not?

35 tops, from a TR fan. Too many other options at that price point (or below).

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Too much... You can get other Rye Whiskey that taste just as good for less. I don't know if people are fooled by it being an Iowa product or what? It's good not great, and not the true original recipe.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Anything over face value, if you think its that good... pay it. But next year think ahead and there will be plenty of places to find it a few weeks out of the year.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I picked up my first ever bottle (I'm out of state) a couple of weeks ago for $38.

It's good stuff, but I probably won't be buying it much anymore.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Around $36, maybe $40 tops. If you are being rational. If you love the stuff, and really don't care about watching where your beverage dollar goes, I would think $70 should be the upper limit.

It is good stuff, and I do enjoy it, but if I find it I give it as a gift to out of state friends.

isutoad

Nov 12, 2008
IOWA
Where do you live? We have had it setting on the shelf at Fareway and not to many interested. I think it is around $36.00. If you were getting the real stuff it would be worth that.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
The craziest thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was at Wine & Spirits (west) in Ames. I walked in to buy a bottle of Jack. I saw that there was a sign about TR next to the whiskey so I took a second to read it. An employee came up to me and asked me if I wanted a bottle. She went to the back and I paid 36. I had previously seen it for like 70 in Ames and asked her about that. She told me that businesses weren't supposed to be jacking up the price on it and that it is borderline illegal to do so. Who know?

I've since saved the bottle for when my wife gets a job. There will be a big celebration that night.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I'll pay up to 50 for the stuff with duct taped bottle cap in a schnapps bottle. :yes:

The duct tape is off and it's a Bacardi bottle, but I just cracked open a fresh one.

Considering the duct taped version only comes in 1.75L, $50 is a steal.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Considering the duct taped version only comes in 1.75L, $50 is a steal.

There is probably more than one brewer then. The person that my dad knows used to sell him a lot of .375's and he gave them away as gifts. It was a regular glass bottle and it had a white mailing label on it with an American flag that said "Greeting from Templeton, IA" on it. I know he has a .750 in the liquor cabinet at home that is also very similar.
The person who sells him this is getting up there in age and might be done cooking.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
The craziest thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was at Wine & Spirits (west) in Ames. I walked in to buy a bottle of Jack. I saw that there was a sign about TR next to the whiskey so I took a second to read it. An employee came up to me and asked me if I wanted a bottle. She went to the back and I paid 36. I had previously seen it for like 70 in Ames and asked her about that. She told me that businesses weren't supposed to be jacking up the price on it and that it is borderline illegal to do so. Who know?

I've since saved the bottle for when my wife gets a job. There will be a big celebration that night.

I'm not sure the IABD lets prices become a free for all either. I was looking and it doesnt look like any of my classmates are employed there any more or I'd ask.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
Where do you live? We have had it setting on the shelf at Fareway and not to many interested. I think it is around $36.00. If you were getting the real stuff it would be worth that.

You work at Fareway? Where at? I've been to other Fareway stores and they have always been sold out.