Getting your shoes shined

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Chris,

Usually I can get on board with what you're saying, but you really missed it with the comment on shoe shining in your Monday's Musings. Throw some dress shoes on, go to the DSM airport, find a guy who looks like he's been shining shoes his whole life and buy the most expensive one he's got. You'll feel like, just for a second, you're on top of the world. It's a great feeling man. Pick up a USA Today and read that while you're getting them shine... It'll only add to the aura. And your shoes will never look better man. Think about it....

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I would feel like a jerk sitting around while somebody shined up my shoes while I read the paper. Maybe that's just me. Probably no different than getting a haircut, I suppose, but I've never taken the plunge, even when I've had shoes on that could use a good shine.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I would feel like a jerk sitting around while somebody shined up my shoes while I read the paper. Maybe that's just me. Probably no different than getting a haircut, I suppose, but I've never taken the plunge, even when I've had shoes on that could use a good shine.

You've never gotten a haircut?! Whoa!

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
A good shine is one of life's simple pleasures and something I sorely miss living in a smaller town. And put the paper down and talk to your shine. Those guys are like bartenders, they have all the answers to your problems. It's magical.

Reactions: Clonegrad07

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQkvjftbV8]YouTube - goodfellas-shine box[/ame]

Had to do it.:biggrin: Clip NSFW (language)

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I usually just have it done so I get to talk to the shoe-shiners. Some of the stories those guys tell you are worth their weight in gold.

Reactions: Clonegrad07

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
I usually just have it done so I get to talk to the shoe-shiners. Some of the stories those guys tell you are worth their weight in gold.

Agreed with the other poster and this one that the shoe shiners have great stories. The one guy in Dallas I always go to has stories about every Cowboy that walks through there. He said Michael Irvin was a great tipper and always had two or three women with him...

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Count me as one that enjoys a good shoe shine.

Chris said two things in his musings that were hard to read. One was on the shoe shining. The other was that he is a big NASCAR fan.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Count me as one that enjoys a good shoe shine.

Chris said two things in his musings that were hard to read. One was on the shoe shining. The other was that he is a big NASCAR fan.

He's a country music fan, I don't think being a NASCAR fan is any great leap from that. :smile:

I've never had a professional shoe shine, but I have a very nice pair of dress shoes with some scuffs on them. Will a pro be able to take those out, or are they doomed to be scuffed forever?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Chris,

Usually I can get on board with what you're saying, but you really missed it with the comment on shoe shining in your Monday's Musings. Throw some dress shoes on, go to the DSM airport, find a guy who looks like he's been shining shoes his whole life and buy the most expensive one he's got. You'll feel like, just for a second, you're on top of the world. It's a great feeling man. Pick up a USA Today and read that while you're getting them shine... It'll only add to the aura. And your shoes will never look better man. Think about it....

:twitcy: Funny stuff my man! Thanks for sharing.

Like I wrote in the musings, maybe if I didn't wear sneakers/boat shoes/flip-flops (depending on the season) all of the time, I'd "get it."

Maybe I just need to grow up, by a real pair of shoes and take the plunge?

Who knows?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
He's a country music fan, I don't think being a NASCAR fan is any great leap from that. :smile:

I've never had a professional shoe shine, but I have a very nice pair of dress shoes with some scuffs on them. Will a pro be able to take those out, or are they doomed to be scuffed forever?

Depends on how badly they are scuffed. If it is minor a "pro" will take that polish and make it shine like nobody's business.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
How about getting your own shoe shine kit and doing it yourself. I remember many Sunday afternoons my dad and I would sit in the family room watching TV and shining his dress shoes, my dress shoes, and on occasion, a few of my mother's. It think it is a valuable skill, and was fun to bond with my dad while we did it.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
How about getting your own shoe shine kit and doing it yourself. I remember many Sunday afternoons my dad and I would sit in the family room watching TV and shining his dress shoes, my dress shoes, and on occasion, a few of my mother's. It think it is a valuable skill, and was fun to bond with my dad while we did it.

Easy Easy... I also buff my own and shine them up from time to time, but when I travel, if I have time in the airport, no one does it better then those guys who do it for a living. They really know what they are doing and they have little waxes and polishes that I didn't even know exist. It's just a great experience that I believe everyone should do at least once.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I used to love to get my shoes shined at the times when I was wearing dress shoes going through O'Hare. Don't know why, but it was always good to bs with the shiner.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
I used to love to get my shoes shined at the times when I was wearing dress shoes going through O'Hare. Don't know why, but it was always good to bs with the shiner.

Yeah, in the early 2's, there were two hot chicks that did it at the west end of the B to C tunnel right by the escalator. Some good shine guys in the bathrooms in both B and C.

I also thought of Goodfellas, and this......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAv2rWj-NqI&feature=related]YouTube - Grandpa bashes black guy on a bus fight![/ame]

"Ooh, he leakin!"

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I do them myself sometimes at home, but as mentioned there is something about having a pro shine your shoes. Always look better than what I can do myself and shine seems to last longer as well. That said, I’ve never hit up an airport one but there are a few sprinkled throughout downtown (DM) that I use from time-to-time.

Do the ones in the airport cost more (just like everything else at an airport does)? I usually pay $6 or $7.
I also usually tip $1 as I assume that is expected. Others agree and is $1 about right?

I’m so glad we can have these deep, meaningful discussions here on CF!