Cyclone Nation Need To Step Up

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bbrill140

Jul 1, 2006
During the interview with Wright after he won the 184 championship he talked about how since Cael has came to PSU that a lot of people have stepped up and made the program grow to what we saw this weekend. He mentioned that people on and of campus are more involved with the program. Between this and how dedicated Reader talked after his match I will be joining the Cyclone Wrestling Club today. We can not let the gap grow between our program and the others (PSU, Iowa, OSU, Cornell). We have to show our wrestlers and future wrestlers that we really want this program to be on the top. We need to do our best to prove Cael and the rest of the college wrestling world (Dan Gable for example) wrong by showing them that ISU is a school, and KJ is a coach that can win National Championships.

Reactions: isudoc03

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Should we step up like the ISU Athletic Department did back in 2004 and have Cael draw a salary in a made up position in the Department which allowed him to train for the Olympics full time with the University?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
During the interview with Wright after he won the 184 championship he talked about how since Cael has came to PSU that a lot of people have stepped up and made the program grow to what we saw this weekend. He mentioned that people on and of campus are more involved with the program. Between this and how dedicated Reader talked after his match I will be joining the Cyclone Wrestling Club today. We can not let the gap grow between our program and the others (PSU, Iowa, OSU, Cornell). We have to show our wrestlers and future wrestlers that we really want this program to be on the top. We need to do our best to prove Cael and the rest of the college wrestling world (Dan Gable for example) wrong by showing them that ISU is a school, and KJ is a coach that can win National Championships.

I agree. $50 to support the Cyclone Wrestling club is cheap. This also give you a shot at NCAA tickets in 2013 in Des Moines. They will be difficult to get and Cyclone wrestling club will get the chance before non members.

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
Good for you, I just made my annual contribution as well....we def need many, many more to think this way or we may wind up floundering in wrestling obscurity.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Should we step up like the ISU Athletic Department did back in 2004 and have Cael draw a salary in a made up position in the Department which allowed him to train for the Olympics full time with the University?

Like we do right now with Trent Paulson? Or will with Reader? This is not uncommon.

The wrestling team needs support. The fans at ISU really need to push for a standalone practice facility for the team. That is a major difference between what ISU has and what most other schools that are the haves are using.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Well, you can only have so many coaches, and keeping high level guys around is very important.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
I wonder if the athletic department is making any kind of targeted effort to cultivate some wrestling sugar daddies.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I think this article hits a lot of good points. Though they do already have a dedicated locker room (though if I remember it's on a different floor). But expanded coaches offices, dedicated training and film rooms, and a lounge for the wrestlers should be a no brainer and wouldn't even cost a huge amount. A dedicated building would be great, but I think we all realize that the ISU budget can't support that. However, decent facilities for our most successful sport should be on Pollard's list.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Wrestling will have their own facility when someone steps up and decides to be a lead donor. Volleyball is worse off than wrestling but likewise, they won't have a facility until someone steps up as a lead donor.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Volleyball is worse off than wrestling

How?

VB has the run of Hilton now. Dedicated locker room. Brand-new offices. No more packing up and moving around campus just to hold practices.

Intheno

Jul 13, 2010
Reader's post interviews after semis and finals. He credits hugely the Paulsons for his success. KJ made it happen for the them to be here and train, kept Z here and now wants to keep Reader here. But the aren't stay'n for FREE! Paying them to stay is the name of the game, and the $ to do this comes directly from the club. It is sooo important, and its proven to work. Paulsons and Z could be living at the olympic training center, completely free, no housing cost, no food cost. But they CHOOSE to train with KJ. We have to support Cyclone Wrestling Club to keep these guys around. Have too!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l47QtaOeBmQ]YouTube - NCAA Semifinals: Iowa State's Jonathan Reader[/ame]

v=l47QtaOeBmQ[/URL][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IETjfcT4mi8]YouTube - 174-pound champion Jonathan Reader of Iowa State[/ame]

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
How?

VB has the run of Hilton now. Dedicated locker room. Brand-new offices. No more packing up and moving around campus just to hold practices.
Volleyball is fine right now. Christy has no trouble bringing in better talent than almost any other sport at ISU. Really, wrestling is the only sport that recruits better most years. But that changed when Cael went out the door, and Jackson needs to find a way to build momentum.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Like we do right now with Trent Paulson? Or will with Reader? This is not uncommon.

The wrestling team needs support. The fans at ISU really need to push for a standalone practice facility for the team. That is a major difference between what ISU has and what most other schools that are the haves are using.

Well, you can only have so many coaches, and keeping high level guys around is very important.

My remarks were to show that ISU supported Cael and his WRESTLING CAREER and he turned his back on that support. I don't give a damn what Cael thinks and he can go fall in a deep hole for all I care.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
He's coaching at Penn State with Cael.
He is being supported by the Nittany Lion wrestling club to follow his Olympic dreams. Fanthrope and Cyler are also there. The reason NLWC supports Iowa State grads is to bring in recruits and make National championship teams. We had no chance of keeping Varner here, he was alway going to leave for Penn State when he finished his collegiate career.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
He is being supported by the Nittany Lion wrestling club to follow his Olympic dreams. Fanthrope and Cyler are also there. The reason NLWC supports Iowa State grads is to bring in recruits and make National championship teams. We had no chance of keeping Varner here, he was alway going to leave for Penn State when he finished his collegiate career.

He was classy about it though. In the pre-finals interviews at NCAAs last year they were asking him about it and he just said he'd discuss it after the season was over. Everybody knew he'd be following Cael, but as far as I know he didn't burn any bridges on his way to Happy Valley.