Des Moines in the top 5

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Why is it so important to list what our favorite restaurant and retailer is when proving that we have high credit debt?

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Columbus, OH - Favorite restaurant: Bucca Di Beppo, closely followed by Hooters.

Nice.

Also, favorite retailer is Saks? Saks and Hooters, that's an interesting combination.

Last edited:

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Columbus, OH - Favorite restaurant: Bucca Di Beppo, closely followed by Hooters.

Nice.

Also, favorite retailer is Saks? Saks and Hooters, that's an interesting combination.

Was there last weekend. Ate at Hooters twice. You're welcome Columbus!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Wait. The one costco in des moines is the city's favorite retailer? I call shenanigans.

Captain O'Hagan: I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."
Mac: Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?
Farva: You mean Shenanigans?
Mac: OOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Thorny: OOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
[as they hand the Captain their pistols]

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My guess is that Mint just looks at Credit card transactions of it's members to pick out the favorite places. Here is why i think Costco would be number 1.

#1 A large percentage of Costco users use their American Express to pay. At least I do.

#2 There is only one Costco in the metro. If you go to places like Wal-mart/Hy-Vee it shows up as a different transaction based on which one you go to. If you did combine sales, places like Wal-Mart would bury Costco.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
My guess is that Mint just looks at Credit card transactions of it's members to pick out the favorite places. Here is why i think Costco would be number 1.

#1 A large percentage of Costco users use their American Express to pay. At least I do.

#2 There is only one Costco in the metro. If you go to places like Wal-mart/Hy-Vee it shows up as a different transaction based on which one you go to. If you did combine sales, places like Wal-Mart would bury Costco.

exactly.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Favorite restaurant is appelbees is all you need to know about DES moines.
Hahahahahahahahaha

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Favorite restaurant is appelbees is all you need to know about DES moines.
Hahahahahahahahaha

Kinda hard to make fun of anyone when you're a Royal's fan. I mean...how do we take you serious knowing that?

Des Moines has plenty of favorable rankings to make it a legit small-to-mid-sized city. I can cut/paste the list if you'd like me to provide it. The Royals, on the other hand, have zero creditability to make them a legit major league baseball team...unless of course, their competition is limited to the Pittsburg Pirates.

Last edited:

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Kinda hard to make fun of anyone when you're a Royal's fan. I mean...how do we take you serious knowing that?

Des Moines has plenty of favorable rankings to make it a legit small-to-mid-sized city. I can cut/paste the list if you'd like me to provide it. The Royals, on the other hand, have zero creditability to make them a legit major league baseball team...unless of course, their competition is limited to the Pittsburg Pirates.

stay strong Des Moines backer!! I am a Royals fan but am not defined as a Royals fan, you obviously have a huge napoleon complex about your Appelbees loving city. Enjoy being the butt of pretty much every joke and living in a city that is worse than Omaha.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM

I'm guessing the opposite, actually. How else would Applebees be our favorite place to eat?

Gotta be combined locations. Costco does well because a lot of small business shop there for corporate needs. high dollar/volume items.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
stay strong Des Moines backer!! I am a Royals fan but am not defined as a Royals fan, you obviously have a huge napoleon complex about your Appelbees loving city. Enjoy being the butt of pretty much every joke and living in a city that is worse than Omaha.

2011 Rankings

2010 Rankings

source: http://www.seedesmoines.com/learn_more/did_you_know.php

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Damn.. no reason to pull out the fact book on him.

You like DSM.. that's all that matters.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
All this tells me is that people in Des Moines are living beyond their means. They either need better jobs or lower cost of living, or a combination of the two. I read the article on the iastate website that shows that Iowa has one the highest corporate tax rates in the nation. Until the state capitol does something about that, high debt will continue. You need coporate investment to create the well- paying jobs.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
All this tells me is that people in Des Moines are living beyond their means. They either need better jobs or lower cost of living, or a combination of the two.
I don't think the idea of the article was to point out that Des Moines has a higher credit card debt than anywhere else. It was to show consumer confidence.

As far debt and cost of living, Iowa is never near the top except for college graduates and our cost of living along with disposable income is always better than the average state.