UNO to the Big XII???

bbrill140

Jul 1, 2006
With the B12 losing Neb. what is the status of our qualifying tournament? Do we go with just 4? Will the NCAA make us go to a western qualifying tournament? Would the B12 try to get UNO to keep wrestling and join them? Maybe add UNI, South Dakota, Air Force and Wyoming?

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
The Big 12 has already announced that we will not be expanding for next year, meaning we will stay at 4 teams. The NCAA has also already announced that the conference will not get any automatic qualifiers, meaning that each wrestler will have to get an at-large big to make it to the NCAA championships.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The Big XII doesn't allow non-affiliate members to join for one sport. If they did choose to do so UNI would be the obvious first choice (and has made their interest clear). After that I would have to think schools like Air Force would be next the next invite. A school just coming up to D-1 wouldn't get consideration, I don't think.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The Big 12 has already announced that we will not be expanding for next year, meaning we will stay at 4 teams. The NCAA has also already announced that the conference will not get any automatic qualifiers, meaning that each wrestler will have to get an at-large big to make it to the NCAA championships.

The way I understand it is; we are not guaranteed any automatic berths for the champion at each weight. We will have automatic berths based on performance. This will allow upsets and non qualifying wrestlers (such as Shafer did) to wrestler their way into the NCAA tourney. Currently, the champion of every weight class of every qualifying tourney gets an automatic berth whether there is anybody that meets the criteria or not. (We lose this option)

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I thought about that. What if all the B12 teams join the B10. 16 teams but may but may help put and end to many small programs. Would be a great tournament though.

Won't happen and never will. Big 10 doesn't need anybody outside their conference.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I always thought it was fake at least one of the Kansas schools doesn't have wrestling. They are surrounded by it with Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Iowa.

I can understand the Texas schools not going for it but there really is no excuse for the Kansas schools.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The way I understand it is; we are not guaranteed any automatic berths for the champion at each weight. We will have automatic berths based on performance. This will allow upsets and non qualifying wrestlers (such as Shafer did) to wrestler their way into the NCAA tourney. Currently, the champion of every weight class of every qualifying tourney gets an automatic berth whether there is anybody that meets the criteria or not. (We lose this option)

Actually you have it kind of backwards. If nothing changes this summer, the guys who had autoqualified would be going regardless of what happens at Big XIIs (as wildcards), but the chance of someone working their way into a wild card berth at Big XIIs would be very slight, though not impossible. So for example, under the system next year Shafer wouldn't have been going to NCAAs, but the person whose autoqualifier spot he took would be.

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Actually you have it kind of backwards. If nothing changes this summer, the guys who had autoqualified would be going regardless of what happens at Big XIIs (as wildcards), but the chance of someone working their way into a wild card berth at Big XIIs would be very slight, though not impossible. So for example, under the system next year Shafer wouldn't have been going to NCAAs, but the person whose autoqualifier spot he took would be.

This is what I heard at Big 12 and was also posted on Okie State Forum

Secondly, I was told on Saturday that the NCAA has granted the conference a waiver for a four-team qualifier. One condition, however, is that the conference will have no automatic qualifiers for its 10 champions. Right now, if a qualifying tournament does NOT have a Gold or Silver status wrestler as champion, the conference champion still gets an automatic bid. Will not be true for Big 12.
HOWEVER, going into the tournament, the four schools will have earned X number of automatics by virtue of the number of Golds and Silvers it has produced. Just like it is now. But it's possible (though not likely) that one weight class might not have ANY gold or silver status wrestlers. Thus, the "no-guaranteed-qualifier" clause thrown in for that situation.

(This is from the Okie State forum)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe if we took our wrestlers and their UNO wrestlers in a merger, we could be Top ten again.:jimlad:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Maybe if we took our wrestlers and their UNO wrestlers in a merger, we could be Top ten again.:jimlad:
Not sure if the best DII wrestler are be any better than the National Champion JUCO guys (Carr, Hunter, Hawes) we have on our team now.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
This is what I heard at Big 12 and was also posted on Okie State Forum

Secondly, I was told on Saturday that the NCAA has granted the conference a waiver for a four-team qualifier. One condition, however, is that the conference will have no automatic qualifiers for its 10 champions. Right now, if a qualifying tournament does NOT have a Gold or Silver status wrestler as champion, the conference champion still gets an automatic bid. Will not be true for Big 12.
HOWEVER, going into the tournament, the four schools will have earned X number of automatics by virtue of the number of Golds and Silvers it has produced. Just like it is now. But it's possible (though not likely) that one weight class might not have ANY gold or silver status wrestlers. Thus, the "no-guaranteed-qualifier" clause thrown in for that situation.

(This is from the Okie State forum)

I'd be totally okay with that being the case. I think that would be the best option for the Big XII if they aren't willing to add affiliate schools.