MLB: Nats, Yankees Interested in Silva

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
According to ESPN's Bruce Levine, there were scouts on hand to see Silva pitch Sunday against the Reds. The Nationals seem most interested with 3 scouts in attendance. The http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/cubs-den/silvasmall.jpg
Yankees are also said to be looking for pitching and had at least one scout on hand to see Silva's best performance of the spring. Silva gave up just 2 runs on 3 hits in 4 innings before tiring and giving up 2 more runs in the 5th. It's also important to note that Larry Rothschild is the Yankees pitching coach and he did a pretty good job resurrecting Silva last season -- at least in the first half.
Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/cub...ankees-interested-in-silva.html#ixzz1GaOibUrE

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Good, what terrible contract would the Cubs have to take back in return for this POS? Either that or I bet the Cubs offer to pay most of his salary in return for a few prospects.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Good, what terrible contract would the Cubs have to take back in return for this POS? Either that or I bet the Cubs offer to pay most of his salary in return for a few prospects.

Calm down brother. Silva had a good year last year. We definitely came out on top in the Silva/bradley deal.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
carlos silva sucks...the yanks would be ******** to pick him up. why would they want a player like this

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Silva was pretty good last year. The yanks need more depth in their rotation. I could see the yanks trading for him and picking up 8 million or so on his contract. The Cubs want Cashner to start anyway. Wells is a lock for the #4 spot IMO.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Wells should have been a lock before spring training. It's a joke that he even had to compete for a rotation spot but I'm glad he's kicking some serious butt in Spring training.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
How about they just do a straight up trade of borderline obese pitchers: Jaba Chamberlain for Silva.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
big deal silva had 1 good year...how many terrible seasons has he had in the past? that might explain whys he been traded so much. im glad the twins got rod of him

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Calm down brother. Silva had a good year last year. We definitely came out on top in the Silva/bradley deal.

Apparently you didn't pay attention to what he did post All-Star. His health issues finally caught up to him and he made just 4 starts going 1-3 with a 11.12 ERA. He's been hit hard all spring so far and already been involved in a dugout incident with Ramirez. I think he's back to being the crappy pitcher he was prior to the Cubs getting him.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wells should have been a lock before spring training. It's a joke that he even had to compete for a rotation spot but I'm glad he's kicking some serious butt in Spring training.

I have a feeling they made him compete for a job so it would light a fire under him. Sometimes guys need that pressure of having to earn their spot and Wells even had that wonderful "I got too big for my britches" quote last year when he started to struggle basically admitting he was getting over-confident and not preparing himself properly.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
big deal silva had 1 good year...how many terrible seasons has he had in the past? that might explain whys he been traded so much. im glad the twins got rod of him

No kidding - his 4 years with the Twins were so forgettable I had blocked him out of my memory and had to remind myself that, in fact, he actually did pitch in Minnesota a blue moon ago. It also makes me wonder why the hell the Yankees are fighting with the Nationals for his services based on one season of "success" (being a relative term) preceded by season after season of sub-mediocrity...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Also, Silva has not pitched well enough to earn a spot in the rotation right now and will probably be a headcase in the clubhouse if he's demoted to the bullpen so if the Cubs can find a taker for him then good riddance! He has a 16.20 ERA in 8 1/3 innings so far this spring and has served up 18 hits and 4 homers. It's just spring training and a lot of starters struggle early trying to stretch their arms back out but even that is just a terrible stat line for a guy fighting for the #5 spot. Even Big Z has a 1.38 ERA in 13 innings and he typically starts off slow every year.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
one season of "success" (being a relative term) preceded by season after season of sub-mediocrity...

There's no question he's grossly overpaid, but I think you're overstating things. In the six seasons he's started at least 20 games, he's had an ERA of 4.22 or lower in four of them. Three of those four were in the AL (with the Twins).

He's no ace and not worth anywhere near $12 million, but any team looking for a veteran back of the rotation guy might take a look at him. The obvious question is how much of that salary are the Cubs willing to eat in a trade (or what kind of bad salary are they willing to take in exchange).

awasux

Oct 3, 2006
There's no question he's grossly overpaid, but I think you're overstating things. In the six seasons he's started at least 20 games, he's had an ERA of 4.22 or lower in four of them. Three of those four were in the AL (with the Twins).

He's no ace and not worth anywhere near $12 million, but any team looking for a veteran back of the rotation guy might take a look at him. The obvious question is how much of that salary are the Cubs willing to eat in a trade (or what kind of bad salary are they willing to take in exchange).

Keep in mind that the Cubs are only on the hook for $6mil of his salary this year. The Mariners are still picking up the rest. Realistically, they won't get anything in return via trade, but opening up a roster/rotation spot to get Cashner more experience could be invaluable in the long run.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Apparently you didn't pay attention to what he did post All-Star. His health issues finally caught up to him and he made just 4 starts going 1-3 with a 11.12 ERA. He's been hit hard all spring so far and already been involved in a dugout incident with Ramirez. I think he's back to being the crappy pitcher he was prior to the Cubs getting him.

You didn't see what I said. There is no need for ill will towards Silva. We got a serviceable year out of him and got rid of Bradley. I agree that I would rather have the young guys in the rotation, but I would rather have Silva on this team instead of milton.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Keep in mind that the Cubs are only on the hook for $6mil of his salary this year. The Mariners are still picking up the rest. Realistically, they won't get anything in return via trade, but opening up a roster/rotation spot to get Cashner more experience could be invaluable in the long run.

I had forgotten that the Mariners were paying that. Contract details are here: Cot's Baseball Contracts: Chicago Cubs

He does have a $2M 2012 buyout that the Cubs will have to pay as well.

That makes it easier for the Cubs to move him, although the Cubs would still have to eat some of that or take on a bad contract if they did. I can't see a team paying more than 2-3 million of his salary. The Cubs have enough young options for the 5th spot in the rotation that I'd like to see him moved as well. I agree that Cashner would be the best option for that 5th spot right now. The Cubs might contend for a playoff spot, but this isn't a team that's expected to make the playoffs so they can make moves with an eye to the future. Move Silva, get a low-level prospect or two in return, eat 5-6 mil in salary+buyout or take over a similar amount in another team's bad contract, and get some younger guys rotation experience.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
You didn't see what I said. There is no need for ill will towards Silva. We got a serviceable year out of him and got rid of Bradley.

And saved money as well. Prior to the deal the Cubs were on the hook for $9M in 2010 and $12M in 2011 for Bradley. After the deal, the Cubs are now on the hook for $8M in 2010, $6M in 2011, and a $2M 2012 buyout for Silva. That's a $5M savings.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron