Templeton Rye vs. Iowa Bourbon Whiskey

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
I've seen the Iowa Bourbon Whiskey on shelves. I LOVE Templeton! Has anyone tried the Iowa Bourbon, and if so, does it compare? It is priced a little below Templeton, I'm just not sure if I want to try it out. Comments welcome!

Home Page

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I've seen the Iowa Bourbon Whiskey on shelves. I LOVE Templeton! Has anyone tried the Iowa Bourbon, and if so, does it compare? It is priced a little below Templeton, I'm just not sure if I want to try it out. Comments welcome!

Home Page

I thought Bourbon could only come from Kentucky?

My brand is Maker's but I like Templeton very much also. This Iowa "Bourbon" has piqued my interest.

CONEClone

Dec 16, 2009
Ames

My brand is Maker's but I like Templeton very much also. This Iowa "Bourbon" has piqued my interest.

Bourbon doesn't have to come from a certain place, it just needs to be made from a certain percentage of corn.

As for Templeton compared to Iowa Bourbon, just realize they are different types of whiskey, so they will have a different taste.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant

Mine too. The reviews I've read have come back very good. Think I'm going to buy a bottle.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Bourbon has to be 51% corn.
It has to be aged in new charred oak barrels.

It's strong, bold and is affected by the barrels a lot. You'll find a twinge on your tongue at first, followed by some heat and sweetness. It will then mellow.

Bourbon has perhaps the most fortified of taste in whiskeys.

Rye is made from 51% or greater rye grain.

Rye is has a peppery character to it. Templeton is very smooth, but you're going to get a little kick with it.

It is traditionally from the "Bourbon" County Area of Kentucky, however it doesn't have to be from there to be called Bourbon.

Scotch has to be from Scotland. Canadian Whiskey has come from Canada, and Irish Whiskey has to come from Ireland however.

I love Cedar Ridge Bourbon, and honestly believe it's going to be the next think you're going to see people hoarding.

Last edited:

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I have had both, at the same time actually. We were doing a taste test. I think I prefer the Templeton, although I liked the Cedar Ridge.
My buddy, who is a big whiskey/bourbon connoisseur, prefers the Cedar Ridge. So, to each his own.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Bourbon has to be 51% corn.
It has to be aged in new charred oak barrels.

It's strong, bold and is affected by the barrels a lot. You'll find a twinge on your tongue at first, followed by some heat and sweetness. It will then mellow.

Bourbon has perhaps the most fortified of taste in whiskeys.

Rye is made from 51% or greater rye grain.

Rye is has a peppery character to it. Templeton is very smooth, but you're going to get a little kick with it.

It is traditionally from the "Bourbon" County Area of Kentucky, however it doesn't have to be from there to be called Bourbon.

Scotch has to be from Scotland. Canadian Whiskey has come from Canada, and Irish Whiskey has to come from Ireland however.

I love Cedar Ridge Bourbon, and honestly believe it's going to be the next think you're going to see people hoarding.

too late. i haven't been able to find any at hy-vee in ankeny and University & 42nd in Des Moines the last couple of weeks and they usually had it in the past.

Hawkcigar

Oct 22, 2006
I've had both and you can't really compare them because rye and bourbon have different tastes.

I think the Cedar Ridge is a really good bourbon and is a great "introductory" bourbon for people who aren't used to drinking it. It has a really smooth character that doesn't overwhelm you at all.

It's pretty easy to get over here on the east side and I'm sure that's because the Cedar Ridge distillery is just up the road near Swisher, Ia. If you can't find it in your local store, they will sell at Cedar Ridge also.

I recommend trying it if you can find a bottle.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
The Cedar Ridge Bourbon is alright. Their first batch that came out last year was ok. Incredibly smooth but lacking a little in the taste department.

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
Cedar Ridge Bourbon is very good. I would suggest trying it. Also for you wine enthusiasts, Cedar Ridge makes a very good Port worth trying.

sweetwater

Apr 10, 2006
I have had the 20 and 23 year Pappy Van Winkle. Out-freaking-standing. Not that it shouldn't be, for the price.

Rittenhouse rye is fairly cheap, and really, really good. The 100 is better than the 80, but they are both great.