The Elephant In The Room That's Worthy of a Thread Topic

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Larry Eustachy loses 4-outta-5 and finishes 4th place in a weak conference and will miss the Post-season Dance for what is it now: 6 / 7 years while at the helm at So Miss.

And this was suppose to be his best team; the team that contends for the conf title.

I wonder if this will convince some posters here - and there's a few who consider Larry to be the greatest coach in collegiate history, that maybe - just maybe, there's room for consideration that he's just sorta average....at best......:swoon:

Reactions: isuno1fan

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Since you brought it up (and i really dont see it as an 'elephant in the room') maybe, just maybe, he's at a school thats always been and always will be mediocre.

Believe what you want... but there's no way you will convince me that LE coaching the kind of talent WM was able to bring in wasnt going to be a recipe for success.

Reactions: cyfanatic

terryk

Apr 13, 2006
Grimes
Since you brought it up (and i really dont see it as an 'elephant in the room') maybe, just maybe, he's at a school thats always been and always will be mediocre.

Believe what you want... but there's no way you will convince me that LE coaching the kind of talent WM was able to bring in wasnt going to be a recipe for success.

+1 for Larry

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'd put my $ on Tim Floyd over LE in that conference.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

Wasn't he was also at powerhouses like Idaho St and Utah St ?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Agree 100%! Southern Miss's success could be measured similar to ISU's football history...and if there weren't 40 bowls in the current environment...we would celebrate a .500 season by doing cartwheels...not by going to Shreveport or elsewhere. It is much harder to win at some schools than others.

LE is a damn good coach!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Whats your point he proved himself at a Big 12 school?

He proved himself at that big 12 school and at those other 2 schools, winning 4 conference championships in 6 years at those 2 schools, and 6 conference championships in 9 years between the 3 schools.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Whats your point he proved himself at a Big 12 school?

That he flamed out his last 3-seasons at our B12 school and hasn't done anything since because he's kinda an average coach whose personality or performance can't attract decent recruits.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That he flamed out his last 3-seasons at our B12 school and hasn't done anything since because he's kinda an average coach whose personality or performance can't attract decent recruits.

Read Alarsons post about his performance.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Flamed out in the last 3 seasons? One of those was a conference championship. If thats flaming out give me that every year.

As for the last two.. i dont care who we get in here, we are always going to have rebuilding periods. We will never be a power like KU or Duke that just reloads. Therefore i think you have to look into what was coming down the pipe for ISU in the next couple years for our program, and when you look at what LE wouldve had to work with in 04 and 05, i hardly think that wouldve ended up looking like a coach that had 'flamed out'.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Flamed out in the last 3 seasons? One of those was a conference championship. If thats flaming out give me that every year.

As for the last two.. i dont care who we get in here, we are always going to have rebuilding periods. We will never be a power like KU or Duke that just reloads. Therefore i think you have to look into what was coming down the pipe for ISU in the next couple years for our program, and when you look at what LE wouldve had to work with in 04 and 05, i hardly think that wouldve ended up looking like a coach that had 'flamed out'.

And one was an NIT season...which would feel like a breath of fresh air around here after the past 5 years! If a guy wants to hate on LE...fine...but give me a break! Acting like the guy lucked out when his teams won and not giving the coach any credit is ridiculous!

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Thank you for getting that elephant out of the room. Now, let's talk about the bigger elephant. If Johnny Orr could live forever, and never age passed 55, would he still be coaching at Iowa State.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Elephant in the room? Grassy knoll? Do you even know what those phrase refer to because I have no idea what you are talking about.