Georges Niang to visit Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Last edited:

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Not sure what to think, obviously his game skills are good, he was named tourney mvp on a team that has several prospects that could go D1....however, those game skills better be incredible because the athletic ability shown in this dunk tape appears less then stellar and thats exactly what espn's rating of him is.....very talented kid with every move in the book but very limited athletically and rebounds only his area.....one concern i have in recruiting un-athletic kids is the ability to defend the highly athletic kids we have to defend night in and out at the Big 12 level....

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102752/georges-niang

You be the judge....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oet1bedLQ3c]YouTube - Tilton Dunk Contest[/ame]

Last edited:

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Not too excited about this, but more because this guy looks like a poorer man's Daniel Dingle, and I thought we sat pretty well with him. I would much rather have us push hard after an Anthony Bennet type player, athleticall gifted and raw in terms of skill, than a Niang, who is very skilled but very athletically limited.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
Not too excited about this, but more because this guy looks like a poorer man's Daniel Dingle, and I thought we sat pretty well with him. I would much rather have us push hard after an Anthony Bennet type player, athleticall gifted and raw in terms of skill, than a Niang, who is very skilled but very athletically limited.

Niang reminds me too much of Doug McD. Maybe we should notify UNI of him. I hope we don't offer. He's the type that will dominate the MVC, but look bad if he had to play in the Big 12 every night.

I think Anthony Bennett is the best player we are recruiting that I've seen(I have yet to see Okoro play). The guy is like Godfrey with a little more size.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AwPJmj51Bg"]YouTube - Anthony Bennett flying high at B Game Camp[/ame]

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Niang reminds me too much of Doug McD. Maybe we should notify UNI of him. I hope we don't offer. He's the type that will dominate the MVC, but look bad if he had to play in the Big 12 every night.

I think Anthony Bennett is the best player we are recruiting that I've seen(I have yet to see Okoro play). The guy is like Godfrey with a little more size.

YouTube - Anthony Bennett flying high at B Game Camp

You think Doug McD would be a bad Big 12 player?

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa

YouTube - Anthony Bennett flying high at B Game Camp
McDermott would have been our best post player this year. He'd be ok in the Big 12.

wags

Dec 13, 2008
DSM
Just because he is visiting doesn't mean he has an offer..Even if he is a fallback plan you want him to visit just in case

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Calvin Godfrey and Doug McD are not mutually exclusive. Doug is a very good player and my guess is he'd be a 4 year starter under Freddy.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Might not offer yet. Probably see how he plays with the guys and then make an offer if he can compete

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I think Iowa had a undersized power forward with only mid major offers this year and he was arguably their best player (not saying much but the kid is legit).

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think Iowa had a undersized power forward with only mid major offers this year and he was arguably their best player (not saying much but the kid is legit).
Basabe is a long, athletic 6-8. He fell under the radar because of his bad team. Niang plays on one of the better teams in Boston(players like Alex Oriakhi have come out of there) and he looks pedestrian athletically. Basabe is a player you would take anywhere. This kid is not.