Thank You Diante and Jake.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Thanks Diante for sticking with ISU over your 4 years. You showed amazing class and will always be a true Cyclone. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Thank you Jake for choosing ISU to play your final college season. You went out with an amazing game and had an outstanding season. Your hustle and fight helped a Cyclone team that wasn't expected to compete, have a chance in almost every ball game. You, as well as Maquis Gilstrap are two of the best 1 and done players anyone could ask for.

greatshu

Dec 4, 2007
KS
Diante deserves his jersey to be retired. He stuck with Iowa State for 4 long years. I wish he could have played under Freddy for another year.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Diante deserves his jersey to be retired. He stuck with Iowa State for 4 long years. I wish he could have played under Freddy for another year.

While he was a great player, only 6 or 7 Cyclones have their jersey retired. Just cause he stuck it out during some rough times does not bring him up to this level. Thanks for a great 4 years DG. Hope you make it in the NBA.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
While he was a great player, only 6 or 7 Cyclones have their jersey retired. Just cause he stuck it out during some rough times does not bring him up to this level. Thanks for a great 4 years DG. Hope you make it in the NBA.
When he gets to the NBA, then you can retire his jersey when he comes back.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And thanks to Jamie too.

We'll miss all 3 next year, but when this program is turned around and I think it will be, it will be in large part to the examples that DG and Jake were.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Thanks Diante for sticking with ISU over your 4 years. You showed amazing class and will always be a true Cyclone. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Thank you Jake for choosing ISU to play your final college season. You went out with an amazing game and had an outstanding season. Your hustle and fight helped a Cyclone team that wasn't expected to compete, have a chance in almost every ball game. You, as well as Maquis Gilstrap are two of the best 1 and done players anyone could ask for.
I'll second that!:yes:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

Tinsley and Fizer haven't got their jerseys retired and they're some of the top players in Iowa State history.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
And thanks to Jamie too.

We'll miss all 3 next year, but when this program is turned around and I think it will be, it will be in large part to the examples that DG and Jake were.

I agree, Jamie isn't the most well liked player but he gave it up for the team and the coaches he played under. He isn't your traditional 6'11" player and I think thats why a lot of people don't like him, along with his defensive skills but everyone including DG and Jake has had those lapses and cost us games in other ways.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I am going to miss watching these guys play.

I really wish we could have Diante play next year where he wouldn't have to be the main focus of the offense and be a true point guard. I think with a whole lineup of capable scorers he could have a special season allowing him to run an offense and distribute the ball instead of having to be the whole offense like this year.

I also have a big soft spot for Jake. I have been rooting for him since this summer. At fanfest this summer he spent alot of time talking with my 4 year old son. He asked him if he was in pre school, if he likes his little sister, showed him how to play defense, etc. Just went way out of the way to make sure that my son had a great time and Jake really seemed like he enjoyed spending time with the kids instead of just taking a pic and moving on to the next one. Railey also was there talking to my son and they were both great with him, he still talks about it all the time. He even had to have his picture of him, Jake, and Railey framed and hung up by his bed he was so proud of it. Every game we go to he wants to know where Jake is right away so he can wave at him (I then play along that Jake waved back when he wasn't looking). So anyways I will miss Jake for what he has meant to my son as well as I've never seen someone play with more heart.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I can only imagine what Diante would have looked like under this staff all 4 years - and with better talent around him.

He's the fan favorite whipping boy - but all he did was reach some amazing stats and is now mentioned alongside Jeff Hornacek.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I can only imagine what Diante would have looked like under this staff all 4 years - and with better talent around him.

He's the fan favorite whipping boy - but all he did was reach some amazing stats and is now mentioned alongside Jeff Hornacek.

Bingo. Those that don't realize what DG accomplished here need to get a clue. I shudder to think what this team would have been like the last 4 years without him. If you don't think it could have been worse you are wrong. WAY WRONG.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
DG salvaged his legacy by having a great senior season. His first three years were really really bad; however, most of his problems during this time were largely a result of the coaching system he was in, so it's hard to blame him entirely for how awful the first three years were.

Does he deserve to have his jersey retired? Ummmm...no, and it's not even close. He never even made a post-season appearance, let alone won a post-season game.

Having said that, I'm glad he had a good year and helped to lay the foundation for Fred's coaching tenure here.

clone99

Sep 14, 2007
Iowa
Thanks to all the seniors. Especially to Diante for surviving the four years of termoil. I have seen a lot of players improve from year to year, but I have never seen a cyclone improve as much as Diante from junior to senior year. The first 3 years were pretty similar with small improvements, but this last year a little bit of a surprise. I definitely didn't see all conference it his future a year ago.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
A big thank you to all 3 of our seniors. Diante stood out all year long, Jake had a big year, and JVB played a huge role in most of our big wins. Had Hamilton or Dendy stayed we would probably be in the NCAA picture, but this team gave us a lot of close entertaining games that set the stage for a bright future.