Let the hype begin...

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
For what could be one of the most anticipated men's basketball seasons in Iowa State history. I want to thank this year's team and especially the seniors for their efforts...especially Jake Anderson for his fight and emotion today...but for all of their hard work this year in placing a foundation for next season and years after to grow upon.

I hope next year is even 75% as good of some of the expectations I've seen around here, because if so, it will be a special one. NCAA Tournament is absolutely the goal, and I hope we can achieve it. Go Cyclones!

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
i will just say the few times we have had high expectations we fell flat on our face, just hope we live up to them

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Ehhhh...I will not be getting my expectations up until we show we can win in B12 play and can at least challenge for even a .500 league record.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
So much will depend on the schedule, but I think a 20-win season is a good goal, as fans.

Lower than 20 will be a disappointment, more will be gravy.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
What's wrong with hype? It's better than dragging around all summer knowing our team is going to be total crap.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Teams in the Big 12 I think we are better than. TTech, OU, Baylor, KSU, maybe OSU, Maybe even KU (if they lose Robinson, the Morris twins, Selby).

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Isu will go 19-13 next year....I'm not buying the hype with the addition of 3 role players...

Chris Allen and Royce White are not role players. McGee will be a starter so the jury is still out. The rest of the guys we are bringing in will give us depth, which we had zero of this year.

There is absolutely no way we win only 3 extra games next year.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Chris Allen and Royce White are not role players. McGee will be a starter so the jury is still out. The rest of the guys we are bringing in will give us depth, which we had zero of this year.

There is absolutely no way we win only 3 extra games next year.

Even if we only win 3 more games next year, the past 5 years have set the bar so low, that that'd be a good season by those standards.

chiwellsh

Mar 9, 2011
Sorry, but.....

Let me first say that I am excited about Mayor and think that he will do great things as the head of our program. Unfortunately I had the displeasure of sitting next to a group of Nebraska fans in the Power and Light District today AFTER they were finally ousted from Big XII play for sure, but in their classy manner they continued to talk crap all of the way through our game, so that has me in a foul mood.

As much as this team did this year with very little in terms of resources....me must have to learn to close games. I realized that we have a tired bunch of boys due to lack of depth, but what concerns me is the mental aspect of closing out a game. It does a number on most 20-year olds mind to lose like that time and time again. I personally don't care much about how awesome our individual players are next year, but the culture has to change, we must close, the league is too tough to play for 36 minutes and then be proud because you played hard. At the end of the day, and at the end of this season, the W's and L's are the only thing that will be in the books.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Even if we only win 3 more games next year, the past 5 years have set the bar so low, that that'd be a good season by those standards.

Considering how tough the Big XII might be next year, 19-13 could get us in the tournament.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't see the problem with expectations. It's sure a lot more fun that way. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. That happens.

I honestly expect to see the tournament next year. I'll definitely be thinking that way during my 4-day couch vacation next week.

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
Re: Sorry, but.....

My three biggest concerns for next year as follows:

1. Winning close games/finishing teams off
2. Overall team defense
3. Point guard play

In no particular order, those are going to be HUGE if we are going to be successful next season.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

I wouldn't be satisfied with anything under 20 wins.

I would be satisfied with at least a winning Big 12 record (10-8) and then depending on the difficulty of the non conference schedule 10 wins or more. We play UNI and Iowa at home next year along with Virginia at home. I think if we do the same thing we did this year and don't drop any "gimmies" to bad teams we could have a similar non conference record to what we had this year only with a tougher schedule. That could be tough though. Maybe 12-2 or 11-3 non conference.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic in non-con and not optimistic enough in conference?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Teams in the Big 12 I think we are better than. TTech, OU, Baylor, KSU, maybe OSU, Maybe even KU (if they lose Robinson, the Morris twins, Selby).

I'll believe a B12 team is better than KU when a B12 team is better than KU.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Re: Sorry, but.....

My three biggest concerns for next year as follows:

1. Winning close games/finishing teams off
2. Overall team defense
3. Point guard play

In no particular order, those are going to be HUGE if we are going to be successful next season.

I think our defense will be better just because of the infusion of athletes we have coming in Royce and Booker will be huge improvements over JVB defensively. Allen and Babb are both highly regarded defenders. Plus with more depth our players will be less tired. We will be able to press more with that depth as well.

I agree with the other two and one thing I will add is rebounding. How many second chance points and easy buckets did we give up because we had a lack of size rebounding. I think that could be huge next year.