This Chara hit tonight has totally changed my view on head-shot rules.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I know that I like to post big hockey hits, but this one is particularly gruesome and disturbing.

Ironic that it's on the 7-year anniversary of the Bertuzzi - Moore incident.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx2AxYxgqRA]YouTube - Zdeno Chara Hits Max Pacioretty (March 8 2011)[/ame]

It's interference for sure, and I have a hard time believing that Chara wasn't intentionally checking him in to the Plexiglas enclosure of the bench.
The physicality of the NHL was one of the most compelling aspects of the game to me. I thought this crusade against head shots was really really weak.

This makes me sick to my stomach. Things need to change. Hits like this could potentially kill someone. I hope the NHL should make a statement and suspend the "All-Star" for the duration of the season and playoffs.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
heres another clip

makes the Gillies hit last week look like childs play. Gillies got 10 games Chara should be out for the year. Chara knows exactly what he was doing and there is a history between the 2.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0]YouTube - Zdeno Chara hits Max Pacioretty Mar 8, 2011[/ame]

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
What is Barry smoking? Watch Chara's left glove push Pacioretty's head in to the plexiglass.

Once Pacioretty chips the puck by Chara, Chara is supposed to let him go the fact that he is ridding him into the glass is interference. The fact that he intentionally drives him into the center glass shows the intent.

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
Wow.... that's just dirty. That's. Wow. I don't even know what to say about that.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Good god that is brutal. I don't follow hockey much, but I would think there should be large backlash for that hit. Except it wasn't even a hit, more like abusing the rink or something.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Not excusing at all what Chara did, because that was a nasty, dirty hit, but these two teams have thrown it down a couple times this season and given that Boston was down 4 goals, doesn't really surprise me.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Not excusing at all what Chara did, because that was a nasty, dirty hit, but these two teams have thrown it down a couple times this season and given that Boston was down 4 goals, doesn't really surprise me.

I think it drives home the point that there was intent to injure with that hit. There is a history, which adds even more proof

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Here was the incident between the 2 earlier this year. This is also the incident that set the bad blood in motion as there was a game in Feb with a lot of penalties.

Pacioretty scores the game winner in overtime VS the Bruins Jan 8th and taps Chara in the back. Chara takes offense and makes an *** out of himself. at 1min 13 seconds

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Me9YN9VnS0]YouTube - Zdeno Chara Reaction After Habs Win[/ame]

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Good lord, that's damn near attempted murder!

Whether or not it was intentional, it needs to be addressed.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I must have missed something the first time I watched it, I'll have to take another look. On first view it didn't look intentional. I do think Chara is one of the dirtiest players in the league though and I wouldn't be suprised if it turns out it was an intentionally dirty hit. His interview after the game reminded me what a tool he is, he basically blamed it on the dude he hit and "bad luck".

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Watched it so many times, still not dirty to me. Yes, he rides him to the wall. Yes, that is interference (which was called). But after that, it's an unfortunate accident to me that he jumps off the ride by Chara and head first into the glass. Maybe there is a better way to design the rink so this type of hit isn't even possible.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Here was the incident between the 2 earlier this year. This is also the incident that set the bad blood in motion as there was a game in Feb with a lot of penalties.

Pacioretty scores the game winner in overtime VS the Bruins Jan 8th and taps Chara in the back. Chara takes offense and makes an *** out of himself. at 1min 13 seconds

YouTube - Zdeno Chara Reaction After Habs Win

Chara is a disgrace. He's huge and fairly skilled, but he's a disgrace.

After viewing this most recent "hit" again I can't say it was intent to injure. Looks to me like he was trying to dump the guy in the bench area, which happens fairly frequently, and just didn't time it correctly. It was after the guy moved the puck so it was definitely a penalty, and it looked like he was trying to make a point with his hit, it just doesn't seem like he was trying to drive the guy's head into the plexiglass. Could be wrong though.