NFL: ESPN's Bill Simmons on the NFL labor dispute

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
I'm a big fan of Bill Simmons, and I think this column is to this point the best thing I've read on it.

Bill Simmons: Greed is good in NFL labor talks - ESPN

Professional sports leagues outpricing most of their fans is nothing new. The MLB is doing it as well in a lot of markets.

I think the way people stick it to the owners is to NOT go to the games. I've been to NFL games. Going once a year or so is fine, but more than that is just not worth it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's on ESPN Radio for free, isn't it?

Why would you pay for his podcast? They're all available for free.

Did you guys not read the article?

My site wasn't as good in Year 3. A few of my best writers bolted because I didn't give them a bigger revenue cut. A few rival sites launched -- all free, all cutting into my traffic -- and the backlash over my PSLs and exorbitant subscription fees hasn't slowed down. Not that I care; my only concern is not showing enough growth. Even after selling one-third of the business to foreign investors for $100 million (my employees don't get a cut of this, of course), and even after raising subscription fees to a staggeringly obscene $50 for Year 4 -- which my 300,000 subscribers are forced to pay since they were dumb enough to buy those PSLs that they can't sell now

It was a freaking tongue-in-cheek statement... :no: