Big 12 is trying to promote a rivalry between ISU and KSU

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
look at bball and fball scheduling. they are scheduling the games on the same day as Bedlam (OU vs. OSU), Border War (KU vs. MU). Not much of a rivarly exists today.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
It wouldn't suprise me...rivalries bring money...I wouldn't mind another rival now that Nebby is leaving.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
One word.....Dumb....ISU has never had any true rivals within the Big 8/12/12-2...why force one when there isn't one nor has there ever been.....

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's not a bad rivalry today. I like it.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
I really don't see any team in the Big 12 needing a rivalry with Iowa State right now.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
One word.....Dumb....ISU has never had any true rivals within the Big 8/12/12-2...why force one when there isn't one nor has there ever been.....

True, there needs to be some sort of impetus, but it also is as good of fit as any in the conference.

MissouriFan

Jun 2, 2009
St. Louis
True, there needs to be some sort of impetus, but it also is as good of fit as any in the conference.

It makes sense to me. With Farmageddon and a long history of playing each other why not?

Current Big 12 rivalries
Missouri-Kansas
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State
Oklahoma-Texas
Texas-Texas A&M

If you and K-State grow into a large rivalry game the only schools without a large marketable rivalry are Tech and Baylor and I think they have played in Dallas the last few years for football?

Actually football scheduling in particular works out well if each school has a neutral site rivalry game.

Border War - Missouri vs. Kansas in KC
Farmageddon - Iowa State vs. Kansas State in KC
Red River - Oklahoma vs. Texas in Dallas
Unnamed - Baylor vs. Tech in Dallas

and maybe Okie State vs. A&M somewhere.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It makes sense, they have KU but KU hates Mizzou more. We have Iowa, but they're not in conference.

I definitely don't have any love for them and could learn to hate them like a rival. Martin is a spaz, if he stays that makes it easier. Their defensive backs have gotten away with more penalties than any other unit in sports history which has always ticked me off.

I'd rather be rivals with them than KU since KU fans don't watch football. Every team always gets up for KU in hoops anyway because they're KU. The Texas teams fan bases are not really passionate about basketball. KSU/ISU makes the most sense to build up for both.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
Why would K-State be any more of a rival to us than any other Big 12 team?

Oh yeah... but she's got a great personality

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If anything, Farmageddon is great name for a game. It just fits the two schools perfectly.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It makes sense to me. With Farmageddon and a long history of playing each other why not?

Current Big 12 rivalries
Missouri-Kansas
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State
Oklahoma-Texas
Texas-Texas A&M

If you and K-State grow into a large rivalry game the only schools without a large marketable rivalry are Tech and Baylor and I think they have played in Dallas the last few years for football?

Actually football scheduling in particular works out well if each school has a neutral site rivalry game.

Border War - Missouri vs. Kansas in KC
Farmageddon - Iowa State vs. Kansas State in KC
Red River - Oklahoma vs. Texas in Dallas
Unnamed - Baylor vs. Tech in Dallas

and maybe Okie State vs. A&M somewhere.

I love it! Farmageddon works for me!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
In some countries they arrange marriages too.

K-State's rival is Kansas

For them it is, but not for Kansas, whos rival is Mizzou, and that is a much bigger rivalry.

While a rivalry between us and KSU would be a good thing, the scheduling is as much because during the time of year we'd typically have the existing long-term conference rivalries with history of being played at the end of the fb season:

Missouri-Kansas
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State
Texas-Texas A&M

That leaves 4 teams out to be scheduled that week: Baylor, Texas Tech, KSU, and ISU. It makes sense to pair the 2 northern and southern teams together for that week, which has been done with both pairs.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
Contestant: Alex, I'll take future rivalries for 300 please...

Alex: These two Big 12 schools, for no apparent reason, become Rivals in the year 2011...

Contestant: uhhhh, what are K-State and Idaho State?

Alex: No, I'm sorry... but that was a tough one, it should be what are Kansas State and Ohio State, whoops I mean Iowa State

Reactions: LindenCy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For them it is, but not for Kansas, whos rival is Mizzou, and that is a much bigger rivalry.

While a rivalry between us and KSU would be a good thing, the scheduling is as much because during the time of year we'd typically have the existing long-term conference rivalries with history of being played at the end of the fb season:

Missouri-Kansas
Oklahoma-Oklahoma State
Texas-Texas A&M

That leaves 4 teams out to be scheduled that week: Baylor, Texas Tech, KSU, and ISU. It makes sense to pair the 2 northern and southern teams together for that week, which has been done with both pairs.

I agree. There are plenty of teams that have two or more real rivalries. Why can't KSU and ISU have more than one real rivalry?

Things end and things begin all the time. If someone told us 20 years ago that the intense Nebraska/Oklahoma rivalry would change to the extent that they don't play each other AT ALL, few would have believed it.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
look at bball and fball scheduling. they are scheduling the games on the same day as Bedlam (OU vs. OSU), Border War (KU vs. MU). Not much of a rivarly exists today.

More like a match up of leftovers.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Why are some people so against having a "rival" within our conference? Maybe it would get our fans to care about something other than the Iowa game with time. I embrace the ksu rivalry and farmaggedon, and you should to. The big xii needs people to start caring about isu and for that matter ksu too. It is certainly miles above the big ten giving Iowa purdue as a rival. At least this one makes sense. It will make a lot more sense when the new big xii pairs off up and down the line next year. Of course our stadium will be empty in two years for the game as our fans pack it in by thanksgiving.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
I like Farmageddon and hope they do in fact grow this into a major rivalry. KSU doesn't have a natural rival either (KU has MU) so it would be good for both. Things are gonna be a bit different in the B10 with the 2 gone so I think this would be a good way to perk up interest. Just do it !