FOUR CYCLONES EARN AUTOMATIC BIDS TO NCAA WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
AMES, Iowa – Four Iowa State wrestlers have earned automatic berths to the NCAA Championship through the first session of the Big 12 Wrestling Championships Saturday at Hilton Coliseum. Cyclone 174-pounder Jon Reader improved his record to 33-0 with a 14-6 major decision over Jeff James of Oklahoma. At 197-pounds, third-seeded Jerome Ward of Iowa State beat second-seeded Andy Johnson of Nebraska, 3-1 to also advance to the finals.
After the first session, Oklahoma State is the team leader with 61 points, followed by Oklahoma (59.5), Missouri (54), Nebraska (40.5) and Iowa State with 27 points. Iowa State 184-pounder Cole Shafter and heavyweight Kyle Simonson finished fourth and earned automatic qualifying berths for the NCAA meet March 17-19 in Philadelphia, Pa.
Finals begin at 7 p.m.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Certainly losing Sorenson to the elbow injury hurts us, but it's still alarming to "clinch" last place in a conference meet that we're hosting.
I hope JP is looking into things with wrestling. We're a proud program, and this should not be happening.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Certainly losing Sorenson to the elbow injury hurts us, but it's still alarming to "clinch" last place in a conference meet that we're hosting.
I hope JP is looking into things with wrestling. We're a proud program, and this should not be happening.

Well nationals are in Pennsylvania, so JP should be able to thank Cael and all he has done for and to the program in person.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Looking into what exactly? The team has far outperformed pre-season expectations, and most of the guys on the team wrestled at or above their seeding today. We avenged a lot of losses from earlier in the season this morning.

The only guy on the team that underperformed today was Drioun.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
AMES, Iowa – Four Iowa State wrestlers have earned automatic berths to the NCAA Championship through the first session of the Big 12 Wrestling Championships Saturday at Hilton Coliseum. Cyclone 174-pounder Jon Reader improved his record to 33-0 with a 14-6 major decision over Jeff James of Oklahoma. At 197-pounds, third-seeded Jerome Ward of Iowa State beat second-seeded Andy Johnson of Nebraska, 3-1 to also advance to the finals.
After the first session, Oklahoma State is the team leader with 61 points, followed by Oklahoma (59.5), Missouri (54), Nebraska (40.5) and Iowa State with 27 points. Iowa State 184-pounder Cole Shafter and heavyweight Kyle Simonson finished fourth and earned automatic qualifying berths for the NCAA meet March 17-19 in Philadelphia, Pa.
Finals begin at 7 p.m.

I think his name is spelled Shafer. :)

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I thought there were 5 auto bids at 165. Shouldn't we have gotten Spangler in based on that? I am somewhat confused. Also, I would be surprised if Sorenson doesn't receive an at-large bid if he is healthy.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames

We had 4 guys wrestle above their seeds 4 wrestle to their seed and only 2 below. What needs to be looked at? We just don't have the bodies this year. KJ needs 2 more years. I think he has done very well with what he has to work with. If you have a clue about the team you know what kind of tallent he has red shirting and have higher expectations when he gets a squad of his guys in.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I thought there were 5 auto bids at 165. Shouldn't we have gotten Spangler in based on that? I am somewhat confused. Also, I would be surprised if Sorenson doesn't receive an at-large bid if he is healthy.

Sorenson didn't compete today so he can't go to the NCAAs. Also, since he couldn't compete, the B12 only has 4 automatic qualifiers.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com

Brackets only indicate that there are only four automatic qualifiers from the 165 bracket...

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Nothing to brag about. Reader is legit, of course. The rest are just going to natls to fill out a bracket. No chance to do anything. Jackson is on the hot seat.

Finals begin at 7 p.m.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Brackets only indicate that there are only four automatic qualifiers from the 165 bracket...

Apparently with Sorenson out his auto qualifier was lost. Which sucks because that bracket was loaded, and I am not sure if Spangler has had enough matches for the committee to think he deserves a wild card berth.

Editing: Also, since Sorenson's absence is going to cost us a lot of team points in Philly. So for everyone who just looks at the scores and then starts posts about how the sky is falling... we just lost a likely All American due to injury. This will prevent us from scoring in the top ten this year. We know this, and it won't be a "giant disappointment and how could ISU not be in the top three and KJ should be fired" event.

Reader and Ward will score us points, and Shafer/Simonson will likely win a match or two, but one of our big guns is hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: SvrWxCy

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Nothing to brag about. Reader is legit, of course. The rest are just going to natls to fill out a bracket. No chance to do anything. Jackson is on the hot seat.

You don't think Ward is competitive? Do you even follow wrestling?

Jackson is about as far from the hot seat as possible. This team has overperformed, and as the results show, he had them ready to go today.

Drioun underperformed. One guy out of 10.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
Judoka brings up a great point.. When you lose a quality wrestler and a big point scorer for us like Sorenson was we are going to look a lot worse than the time actually was.

Well said sir...

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
"Likely" AA? Not sure on that one. Also, I can't see Schafer winning any matches.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Judoka brings up a great point.. When you lose a quality wrestler and a big point scorer for us like Sorenson was we are going to look a lot worse than the time actually was.

Well said sir...

Definitely have to +1 this one.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
You don't think Ward is competitive? Do you even follow wrestling?

Jackson is about as far from the hot seat as possible. This team has overperformed, and as the results show, he had them ready to go today.

Drioun underperformed. One guy out of 10.

I agree totally. You give KJ a roster like Cael had, talent-wise, and watch out. Time will tell if he can get the bodies to Ames, but if he does, they will wrestle as they should.

It is amazing that people were going to give McD another year, but are already claiming KJ is on the hot seat in year two. If year 4 looks like this year, then for sure. But year 2? Come on.

KJ is the man, and I remain optimistic and hopeful about the results and championships he will eventually bring to Ames.

Reactions: Judoka

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron