Wanna know the pros/cons of a iPad versus a Droid tablet?

cjb1978

Apr 9, 2010
Des Moines, IA
Use the following table to help answer any questions you may have:

ipad_2_xoom_optimus-pad_galaxy-tab_touchpad_playbook_specs.jpg

Android Central | Android Forums, News, and Help

Reactions: PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Thanks for posting, I have been looking at finding a chart with that very information to make my selection!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Key difference is in the OS here:
Android3.0 Honeycomb:Actually built to take advantage of the increased screen size
iOS: Just a blown up version of whats on the iphone.

The hardware specs are pretty comparable, with the ipad being a bit thinner\lighter, xoom having expandable memory and a free LTE upgrade.

I have no need for either (i have a lightweight 13" asus laptop that pretty much covers me) but if i was in the market id definitely go Xoom.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
It's really about the apps. Ipad wins easily today. A year from now I'd bet Android makes it close enough to be a wash for most people.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's really about the apps. Ipad wins easily today. A year from now I'd bet Android makes it close enough to be a wash for most people.

Both app stores have so many apps that the difference between the two is largely just how many junk apps. For the stuff most really want to do there's a fully capable app for both systems.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Both app stores have so many apps that the difference between the two is largely just how many junk apps. For the stuff most really want to do there's a fully capable app for both systems.

This isn't and Android phone verus iPhone. In that case you'd be correct. But this is tablet; iPhone versus iPad.

I'm sitting here with a Xoom. Maybe 12 apps for it. It can run some of the regular apps, but most take a **** or just don't scale well enough to use. Honeycomb is new; like I said there just aren't the apps yet.

I have an iPad also and if I had to send one back it's definitely the Xoom. I love the Gmail on the Xoom and that I can really customize it, but it's not ready for prime time and needs some apps badly.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This isn't and Android phone verus iPhone. In that case you'd be correct. But this is tablet; iPhone versus iPad.

I'm sitting here with a Xoom. Maybe 12 apps for it. It can run some of the regular apps, but most take a **** or just don't scale well enough to use. Honeycomb is new; like I said there just aren't the apps yet.

I have an iPad also and if I had to send one back it's definitely the Xoom. I love the Gmail on the Xoom and that I can really customize it, but it's not ready for prime time and needs some apps badly.

Most apps out there will work on the Xoom (Honeycomb), the developers just need to update their manifest to include it. But, I'm sure there are a lot that won't scale well, like you said.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

True, those adjustments will have to be made to some of the regular apps. Im sure a lot of the developers of the popular\good apps are making those adjustments now.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5YBqty1qrM&feature=fvst]YouTube - Nook Color Honeycomb with Android Market Review[/ame]

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
How are you liking it? I'm considering doing this too. Does the processor run a full Froyo/Honeycomb rom okay?

Any trouble installing apps from the market?

I love it. It has made it run a bit slower, but it's not too bad. It literally took me about 10 minutes to root it...very easy.

One of the reasons I didn't end up putting Honeycomb on it just now is that there are a few extra steps to go through to have it integrate with the Android Market. With Froyo, it's already linked automatically. The NC retains all of the B&N functionality. Very nice.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you rooting details.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm holding out for a BlackBerry Playbook. The customized version of QNX looks very fluid. Plus, I'll like the integration with BlackBerry.

IMO -- Purchasing any device without Flash support defeats the purpose of using the Internet. Sorry Apple...

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'm holding out for a BlackBerry Playbook. The customized version of QNX looks very fluid. Plus, I'll like the integration with BlackBerry.

IMO -- Purchasing any device without Flash support defeats the purpose of using the Internet. Sorry Apple...

At this point too much of the internet is flash, so robbing people of the experience is irritating. Lots of cool stuff coming down the pipe that should bury Adobe Flash, but it will take some years to establish it.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Another comparison : http://topicfire.com/share/iPad-2-Vs-Motorola-Xoom-Vs-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10-1-16986563.html

Sent from my DROID Incredible using Tapatalk

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006

The problem is they are comparing them on paper which doesn't mean crap.

For example The iPad has no SD Card Slot, but the the Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab do Yeah my Xoom has an SD card slot, very true, doesn't actually work. Did come with a nice card in the box that said it will work someday. Kind of like Flash. I don't even want Flash, but a supposed selling point on paper that it doesn't actually have. Kind of like no apps.

Or this one: The Xoom and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 likely have double the RAM of the iPad 2 Great, but in real world use the iPad runs fast all the time. I don't even care how much ram it has. My Xoom I can bog down pretty easily. It basically can't play high quality video at all.