Davies booted for sex

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
He knew what he was getting himself into before he enrolled, no one to blame except for himself. Curious if he turned himself in or how it is was reported.

But in this day and age, suprised that BYU is able to get any decent athletes.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Who is BYU's natural rival? ORU? Wondering if they are flaming them on their message boards, si milar to our own Hawkeye/Cyclone lovefest?

Poster: "Hey, just read that BYU's library is reporting an epidemic of books being returned late. Losers!"

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
He knew what he was getting himself into before he enrolled, no one to blame except for himself. Curious if he turned himself in or how it is was reported.

in the article it says that he admitted to it

Brandon Davies was dismissed from BYU's basketball team after he admitted to having sexual relations with his girlfriend

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
No wonder those BYU players always look so ashen, run down, and weak. No booze. No girls. No movies. No videogames. No smoking. No nothing. Just bball. What a boring college experience.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
in the article it says that he admitted to it

Brandon Davies was dismissed from BYU's basketball team after he admitted to having sexual relations with his girlfriend

well he admitted, doesn't mean someone didn't rat him out before he admitted it or the coach had reason to ask him about his relations.

Did Adam Robinson turn himself into KF before the bowl game to get suspended or did he admit to "whatever he did wrong" after rumors made KF ask him about his wrong doings.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You have to wonder how this got reported. You'd almost have to think that there was a pregnancy or something that this couldn't have been swept under the rug.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA

I can see how they can put together a basketball team, but I have no idea how they get enough athletes to field a decent football team...which they often do.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
You have to wonder how this got reported. You'd almost have to think that there was a pregnancy or something that this couldn't have been swept under the rug.

how many other college athletes get girls pregnant and we never hear about it...its really not a big deal as long as they step up and help take care of the kid

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
BYU says Brandon Davies' honor code dismissal not criminal in nature - ESPN

seems like we need to get on this now. i knew it would be for something ********

this was also in the article: a code that also forbids use of alcohol and coffee and requires students to be honest and attend church regularly....im not sure id have made it through freshman and sophmore year without alcohol

you probably wouldnt have, but you probably arent mormon either so...
i mean we could go down the list of what other people have to do because of where they live, or religion... and im guessing 99% of us on this board would not fit in. so its not BYUs, or the mormons issue (though i think they are crazy), its the kids issue. he knew the rules before attending and went anyway.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
you probably wouldnt have, but you probably arent mormon either so...
i mean we could go down the list of what other people have to do because of where they live, or religion... and im guessing 99% of us on this board would not fit in. so its not BYUs, or the mormons issue (though i think they are crazy), its the kids issue. he knew the rules before attending and went anyway.

im not saying they didnt have the right to kick him off since he knew the rules. im just saying the rules are ******** and unrealistic

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Who is BYU's natural rival? ORU? Wondering if they are flaming them on their message boards, si milar to our own Hawkeye/Cyclone lovefest?

Poster: "Hey, just read that BYU's library is reporting an epidemic of books being returned late. Losers!"

Utah. Both schools are in the Salt Lake City metro area, and even though both schools are going their separate ways away from the MWC next year, since BYU will be an independent, it's hard to imagine their rivalry won't continue.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Utah. Both schools are in the Salt Lake City metro area, and even though both schools are going their separate ways away from the MWC next year, since BYU will be an independent, it's hard to imagine their rivalry won't continue.

That rivalry will definitely continue. BYU will look to stomp down some heathens each year, and the Utes will be looking to stick it to some prudes. Last fall one of the Ute posters mentioned that the rivalry has been called the "holy war" at times.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think more schools need to be like BYU. Now don't jump on me about this, I am not talking about enstating some type of honor code like this at every school. I think this is a little extreme. But they have a set of rules, a player violated the rules, and he was removed from the team. This would have been a historic year for BYU basketball with Davies, but now they will be asking what might have been. They are sticking to their rules, which is something a lot of schools don't seem to care about in the money-making business of college athletics. When an OSU AD is begging the NCAA to allow his guilty as sin players to take the field because it will make them more money, there is something very wrong with the state of college sports. I love that BYU has the courage to do this, especially based on the season they are having.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
im not saying they didnt have the right to kick him off since he knew the rules. im just saying the rules are ******** and unrealistic

I may not necessarily agree with the rules, either, but no, they're not unrealistic. For more than 100 years hundreds of thousands to millions of students have been able to abide by these so-called "unrealistic" rules, so it must not be THAT unrealistic if you really want to go there.

It's quite simple, really - if the primary experience you want to gain out of your time in college is to get high off of whatever chemical compound you can and **** anything that walks in the process, don't go to a private religious university that does not tolerate such behavior. It's not as if you don't have a choice in the matter.

You said it yourself - the kid knew the rules - he didn't HAVE to go there. But he went there, and in doing so agreed to abide by the rules, and he failed to do so, and is now reaping the consequences. Quite frankly, that's the end of the discussion. Saying BYU's rules are too strict or unrealistic doesn't really pertain to the discussion.

Help Support Us

Become a patron