Charles Boozer

cyclonetrent

Feb 27, 2011
Johnston
After senior night i was wondering if anyone thinks that this season would have been any different if boozer decided to stay. I don't think it would have made much of a difference but it's interesting to think about.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
More depth and maybe a few more wins, but not like we were gonna win the Big 12 title.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
It wasn't his decision to stay. He was a moron for beating up his girlfriend. Plus he wouldve been coming back from that nasty knee injury he had at the end of his junior season

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
Not sure he would have made a huge impact, but as stated, he didn't really have a choice.

To really play the what-if game, you have to ask about Justin Hamilton.

clonecard

Oct 21, 2006
A couple more wins. Boozer is talented and FH would have made him a lot better. A lot. Gmac never had the hearts and minds of his players. FH has them and in the end that is really what matters. Look at the serious improvement of the individuals on that team.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Ghost of programs past. I'd rather forget almost everything about the McDermott era and focus on the good things ahead for ISU.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I had forgotten how bad our attrition has been. Think of all the guys that still could have been there last night.
2007 recruting class: Boozer, Brackins, Marcus Brister, Staiger, and Clayton Vette

2008 Class: Buckley, Eikmeier, Hamilton, Mann, and Pomlee

2009 Class: Colvin, Dendy,and Antwon Oliver

Thats a lot of players that did not finish eligibility for a variety of reasons.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Boozer was essentially what Bubu was. A guy that could defend, but not much else. Maybe hit a three here and there which is exactly what Bubu did. We also had the same 'booooooo' chear for them.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I just remember being so excited about his breakout 20 point game and then being crushed when he wrecked his knee the very next game. Had some potential to play some minutes and give us a spark off the bench, but the part about beating up his girlfriend did him in.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Boozer was essentially what Bubu was. A guy that could defend, but not much else. Maybe hit a three here and there which is exactly what Bubu did. We also had the same 'booooooo' chear for them.
He couldn't defend at all, nobody on the team last year could. He would have been a good rebounder for us though.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
The thing is, if Boozer wouldn't have gotten into trouble, there's one guy on this year's team that wouldn't have received a scholarship. Technically, Royce White was the last guy to sign with us, so that could mean no Royce White. But if we're going by position, we might have never gone after Jake Anderson, Chris Babb or even Chris Allen. Godfrey & McKnight were late signers as well.

Demarcus Phillips was already committed when Boozer had his run in, so it's not just as easy as saying, let's pretend DP never came here and we had Boozer instead. Ideally, you'd like to say that, but that wasn't the nature of our roster when everything went down. But, playing the hypothetical game, if we had Boozer instead of DP, I do think it could have meant the difference in a game or two. Boozer was an average shooter and was a energy guy off the bench. Like some have mentioned, he would have been coming off ACL surgery though, so who knows how effective he would have been. If he was even 80% healthy, his depth alone might have been able to help us in some of those close games, but it's all speculative.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

He was much better than McD allowed him to be. He could jump. He could get up and down the court. He could drive at the end. He was a decent defender. He could dunk easily. He was not utilized by the tight reigns of the coaching staff. And he screwed up bad. Would things have gone south for him so much if he had been in a CFH system? I think a New Day has Dawned for our basketball program. Instead of playing defense, we have chosen to play offense. It should be a good ride for the next few years.

And watching Godfrey make the breakaway dunk at the end, I had to think that if that was a McD team, we would still be dribbling the ball up to half court.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I had forgotten how bad our attrition has been. Think of all the guys that still could have been there last night.
2007 recruting class: Boozer, Brackins, Marcus Brister, Staiger, and Clayton Vette

2008 Class: Buckley, Eikmeier, Hamilton, Mann, and Pomlee

2009 Class: Colvin, Dendy,and Antwon Oliver

Thats a lot of players that did not finish eligibility for a variety of reasons.

Wow, I didn't realize we completely wiffed on two whole seasons and almost a third in '07 except for Brackins... Thanks a lot Greg!

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Check out the Omaha World Herald. I'm on my phone and don't feel like linking it, but it talks about his struggles here. And so sad to see that many players not make it here.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
Check out the Omaha World Herald. I'm on my phone and don't feel like linking it, but it talks about his struggles here. And so sad to see that many players not make it here.

how was he able to be successful at UNI but then fail at creighton? he may need a few years to get his players but his style somehow succeeded there and failed everywhere else did he run things differently at UNI or did he still do his boring *** slow tempo offense

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
I think Dendy would have made the biggest difference. Assuming he stayed and was committed to the team. He was big and athletic.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Does anyone know whatever happened to Boozer? Is he still at ISU taking classes or did he transfer somewhere else?

If what is being written about him beating up his girlfriend is true I can't feel too bad for him, but I am curious as to where he is now and what he's doing.

I agree about Dendy being a big difference maker. Not the highest basketball IQ by any means, but in an up-tempo system I think he could have had a big year.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Boozer transferred. I saw the press release and it was well written. You'd think they got our best player. Don't remember where.