Why the hatred of Jim Walden and love for Dan McCarney?

C

Cyclone42

Someone in another thread recently made some disparaging comments about Jim Walden, and that got me wondering why so many people hate him so much who love Dan McCarney so passionately. Dan Mac did not leave the football program in any better shape than Jim Walden did. If anything, one can very easily argue that things are worse than after Walden.

For example, Jim Walden did not have the benefit of major facilities improvements and a very supportive administration. Second, Jim Walden left the program with a KICK-*** offensive line, great special teams, and the best running back in ISU history.

Dan McCarney had all the support a coach could ask for, and yet he left the program in a total shambles. It was only by shear luck that he did not lose the first three games last year.

I guess the total hypocrisy of the love for Dan McCarney and hatred for Jim Walden is a big part of why I have a seething hatred for Dan McCarney and everything he stands for.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
For example, Jim Walden did not have the benefit of major facilities improvements and a very supportive administration.

This is exactly the reason why Mac left the program in better shape. Mac's product on the field for a number of years resulted in new facilities being built, an improvement in the AD position, and a better overall support for the football program. DMac gave the school a taste of what success could be, and now we're on to better things. Walden gave us none of that.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
For those who read this thread and wish topics about former football coaches to end reply with.

YEA

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So much for the Eye of Sauron being attracted - this is Saruman leading us straight to Sauron himself... :no:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Dan 5 bowls
Jim 0 bowls

Nuff said.

To be fair, if Mac played in Walden's era, you can most likely take about 4 of those bowls away.

20 years ago, Mac has one legit bowl team - the Insight squad. One or two borderline teams. And two that had no shot.

Everybody knows Mac's bowl success was mostly a product of favorable schedules, down years at other schools(iowa, NU, CU, etc) and twice as many bowls as there had ever been

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
For example, Jim Walden did not have the benefit of major facilities improvements and a very supportive administration. Second, Jim Walden left the program with a KICK-*** offensive line, great special teams, and the best running back in ISU history.

I always liked Walden & agree that he didn't get the support he needed to be successful. At the same time, he was responsible for many of his own failures by targeting too many 3rd tier level guys for scholarships. Mac & Loney deserve as much or more credit than Walden for the OL that blocked for Troy. Walden left behind one elite tackle , 2 serviceable blue-collar guards, and a lame option blocking scheme. Mac brought in a very solid player in Agnafa and resurected a forgotten 5th year sr(Heintz) who hadn't played a meaningful down in 4 years under Walden. Loney gets credit for the zone blocking scheme which was perfect for Troy's running style.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If you want to know people's thoughts on this subject...read the other 85,000 threads about this on the football board, and sadly, even on the basketball board! Seriously, some people need to quit living in the past. If the main thing you are worried about right now involving ISU athletics is Dan McCarney or Jim Walden, you need to quit living in the past.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
So much for the Eye of Sauron being attracted - this is Saruman leading us straight to Sauron himself... :no:

saruman.jpg

I'm glad this topic has never been discussed before on this board.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't think Walden gets a fair shake, but he had a pretty horrible record. The thing about Walden is that he would beat some teams he wasn't supposed to, which was nice. I think Walden was a better coach than people give him credit for, but it isn't like it was the golden age.

If nothing else, I think McCarney was a much better recruiter. Walden may have been a better game day coach, I don't know.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Walden didn't have a very good record, but there are some reasons for why Mac had a much easier road to hoe.

Knowing both of them personally, I can say that Walden is twice the man that Mac could ever be. Walden is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Walden didn't have a very good record, but there are some reasons for why Mac had a much easier road to hoe.

Knowing both of them personally, I can say that Walden is twice the man that Mac could ever be. Walden is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Mac's record was horrid as well...just four percentage points better than Walden's as I recall.

Your comment about them as men fascinates me as many continually pound the drumbeat as to how wonderful a person McCarney was. I know you are not saying McCarney is a bad guy...but you just don't hear many say Walden is a better guy than McCarney.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Someone in another thread recently made some disparaging comments about Jim Walden, and that got me wondering why so many people hate him so much who love Dan McCarney so passionately. Dan Mac did not leave the football program in any better shape than Jim Walden did. If anything, one can very easily argue that things are worse than after Walden.

Dan McCarney had all the support a coach could ask for, and yet he left the program in a total shambles. It was only by shear luck that he did not lose the first three games last year.

I guess the total hypocrisy of the love for Dan McCarney and hatred for Jim Walden is a big part of why I have a seething hatred for Dan McCarney and everything he stands for.

While I don't share your hatred for mccarney I do respect jim walden. He had a better record than mccarney with tons of less facilities, money, and support. I almost think if Walden would have had another year or two he might have got it done here in spite of the fans and athletic department...what with troy davis and co on board.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
If nothing else, I think McCarney was a much better recruiter. Walden may have been a better game day coach, I don't know.

I think this might ultimately get at the heart of their coaching. Walden could beat good teams and mac couldn't. Mac got 2 and 3 star athletes to come here that probably otherwise wouldn't have.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
While I don't share your hatred for mccarney I do respect jim walden. He had a better record than mccarney with tons of less facilities, money, and support. I almost think if Walden would have had another year or two he might have got it done here in spite of the fans and athletic department...what with troy davis and co on board.

He had a better record? I am not a math major but....

28-57-3 - Walden

56-85 - McCarney