Stephen Paea sets combine bench press record

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yes, bench press is an overrated football lift. But, this is still damn impressive! Beast! 49 reps x 225lbs.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee2cWddxHdI"]YouTube - Stephen Paea breaking the NFL Scouting Combine Record for Bench Press 225lbs X 49reps[/ame]

ilovetheclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 17, 2006
Ankeny, Ia
Nice to notice that iowa's vaunted weight program helped their tight end put the the fewest reps for all tight ends invited at 14

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Not enough power shakes after the Big Incident.

The incident? I thought maybe they stopped drinking them since they couldn't get any snow to cool them down anymore.

I keed, I keed... Sorry, couldn't let an easy one like that slip by.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
He's not locking out on any of the reps.

"Locking Out" means you must lock your elbows so your arms are completely straight.

Not locking out makes it easier to do high reps. Going fast makes it easier also - you don't let the lactic acid build up.

Still, good for him.:smile:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
He's not locking out on any of the reps.

"Locking Out" means you must lock your elbows so your arms are completely straight.

Not locking out makes it easier to do high reps. Going fast makes it easier also - you don't let the lactic acid build up.

Still, good for him.:smile:

I'm sure the officials at the combine are aware of what "locking out" is. Obviously that is how they measure bench at the combine and every single person doing the lift is doing the exact same thing.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
The record list following his lift exemplifies, at least to me, how unimportant the lift is for fball success...haven't hears of any of the guys on the list. That said, still very impressive.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Anybody know how much that equals? Every time you rep the weight that you get credited for goes up.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Ok, you can bash Iowa's strength coach if it will help you feel better, but don't we have only 1 player at the combine?

Does anyone know how many Iowa has? I don't, but I'm pretty sure they have at least Stanzi, Clayborn, Ballard, Sash, Reisner and probably another 1-2.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Yes, overrated, but holy crap - 49 times? I'm lucky if I can lift that once...

right, but how much do you weigh? Im guessing this dude is over 240 lbs. if you put it in prespective of percent of your own body weight you can judge how wimpy you really are. :)

for instance a guy who weighs 260lbs... 225lbs bench is about 86% of their body weight.. so for me at 190lbs it would be similar to lifting 163 lbs. That i can do 20 times. not 49 though, that is some freaking stamina.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
right, but how much do you weigh? Im guessing this dude is over 240 lbs. if you put it in prespective of percent of your own body weight you can judge how wimpy you really are. :)

for instance a guy who weighs 260lbs... 225lbs bench is about 86% of their body weight.. so for me at 190lbs it would be similar to lifting 163 lbs. That i can do 20 times. not 49 though, that is some freaking stamina.

325 (and going down monthly - I've lost a lot of weight since July, mostly since Thanksgiving, thanks to P90X), so yeah, I'm probably a pretty big weakling. Then again, I don't bench, I do push-ups. I can do about 30 standard push-ups in one minute and about 225 push-ups in the hour-long P90X Chest and Back workout.

By the way, I do personally think push-ups would be a more relevant measure of test-of-strength than bench presses.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Ok, you can bash Iowa's strength coach if it will help you feel better, but don't we have only 1 player at the combine?

Does anyone know how many Iowa has? I don't, but I'm pretty sure they have at least Stanzi, Clayborn, Ballard, Sash, Reisner and probably another 1-2.

Anyone see Schuylar Oordt from UNI. Weighed in at 261 and ran a 4.67. Reisner weighed in at 248 and ran a 4.97. UNI must have a better strength program...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why is the Bench Press overrated?

Because no football player, particularly linemen, generates power from their chest - they generate it from their legs, hips, and core, three things that you don't work out when you do a bench press. Okay, chest strength is useful when trying to separate yourself from an opponent, but you're not going to bowl over an opposing linemen or tackle or break a tackle because you can do a lot of bench presses - you're going to do that with superior leg and core strength as well as superior technique - things which bench press cannot measure.

By the way, # of squat presses at 750 or more lbs as well as push-ups would be more relevant strength tests than the bench press.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Iowa has 8 players total at the combine. It is likely that they'll have several first day draft choices and probably at least 5-6 drafted total.

This is the area where Coach Rhoades needs to improve dramatically for us to take another step forward as a program. 5-7 wins is all that you can possibly do with our talent level, which puts 1 player in the NFL every year or two.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Because no football player, particularly linemen, generates power from their chest - they generate it from their legs, hips, and core, three things that you don't work out when you do a bench press. Okay, chest strength is useful when trying to separate yourself from an opponent, but you're not going to bowl over an opposing linemen or tackle or break a tackle because you can do a lot of bench presses - you're going to do that with superior leg and core strength as well as superior technique - things which bench press cannot measure.

By the way, # of squat presses at 750 or more lbs as well as push-ups would be more relevant strength tests than the bench press.

Ok, I guess you know more about the situation than the NFL does. Obviously the bench press doesn't translate 100% to the football field, but it certainly is an indicator of upper body strength.

Please tell me which strength/speed/agility test equates 100% to the field.....

Have you ever seen a player do a standing broad jump? No, but it is a good indicator of lower body explosiveness.

Have you ever seen a player run a 40 yard dash, while wearing track spikes, no pads, and tights, and doing so on their own start? No, but this test gives you an idea of generally how fast they are.