NFL: Bears Sign Punter McGee

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Could replace Maynard

The Chicago Bears have signed punter Richmond McGee to a two-year contract.

McGee spent parts of last season on Chicago's practice squad, and he was with the Bears during the offseason and 2009 preseason, averaging 36.3 yards on four punts while landing two inside the 20.

A member of Texas' 2005 national championship team, McGee entered the league as an undrafted free agent with Philadelphia in 2008. He could be in line to replace veteran Brad Maynard, who is due to become an unrestricted free agent.

Bears sign punter Richmond McGee to two-year deal - NFL - SI.com

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Maynard's one of the best in the game. Is he just getting old or something?

WAS one of the best in the game. In fact, he was dead last in NFL in punting last year.

I don't know how many times he had a sub-30 yard punt last year...he needs to be replaced.

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Maynard article:

If the Bears' decision to sign Richmond McGee to a two-year contract signified the end of the Brad Maynard era in Chicago, the memo hasn't made its way to Maynard's desk.

The veteran punter is set to become an unrestricted free agent, and neither the 37-year-old Maynard nor his agent, Chad Wiestling, have discussed a new contract with the Bears. Maynard is frustrated about his uncertain Bears future yet confident in his abilities moving forward.

"I don't know what (McGee's signing) means right now because I have not spoken to the Bears," Maynard said Sunday. "And I'm not too concerned about it. I know things will take care of themselves in the end."

Maynard wasn't satisfied with his performance last season — his 10th with the Bears — as he finished 32nd in the league in punt average (40.1 yards) and 29th in net average (35.2). His recovery from right hip surgery affected his punting, and weather and field conditions late in the season, along with some pooch punts at the start, didn't help his statistics.

Chicago Bears: Punter Brad Maynard frustrated about uncertain future with Bears - chicagotribune.com