Player Profile: Teddy Lampkin

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
So do we think Lampkin is the fastest player in this class? Other competition for that honor appear to be Richardson, Lynn, Nealy, and Standard, but I was wondering what everyone else thought. Would love to have all these guys too close to tell. Speed can go a long way to shoring up and covering other weaknesses.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
He is certainly one of the fastest. He would probably take a 100m dash, didn't he run something like a 10.9 last year as a jr? Short burst may be different story.

Any way you look at it, I like him in the return game!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So do we think Lampkin is the fastest player in this class? Other competition for that honor appear to be Richardson, Lynn, Nealy, and Standard, but I was wondering what everyone else thought. Would love to have all these guys too close to tell. Speed can go a long way to shoring up and covering other weaknesses.

Straight line, I think so. I don't think he has the flexibility of CBSR, Lynn or Nealy and I just think he's faster than Standard. This is all going off of some reported times and tape but Lampkin looks to me like he goes really fast. He might be the fastest player in the last two classes if we are conceding that West was the fastest last year but I'm with coach Wells, West has a little more shake.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Lampkin and West could be really fun to watch in a couple years if they reach full potential.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I just hope that Jarvis West isn't another Keno Laney.

I remember Laney. He ran like a 10.5 100 in high school out of Missouri and, if anything, he was shorter and smaller than Lampkin. If I remember correctly, Laney was about 5-5, 150 and they were probably being generous. He was our highest profile recruit on signing day that year and never did much on the gridiron at Iowa State.

We got another high profile kid from Missouri around this time who had some eye-popping measurables but didn't last long at State. I can't remember his name, but I remember salivating at the thought of a 6-3, 220-pound LB who ran a 10.7 100 in high school. I think he stuck around for a year or two and then quit the team.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I remember Laney. He ran like a 10.5 100 in high school out of Missouri and, if anything, he was shorter and smaller than Lampkin. If I remember correctly, Laney was about 5-5, 150 and they were probably being generous. He was our highest profile recruit on signing day that year and never did much on the gridiron at Iowa State.

We got another high profile kid from Missouri around this time who had some eye-popping measurables but didn't last long at State. I can't remember his name, but I remember salivating at the thought of a 6-3, 220-pound LB who ran a 10.7 100 in high school. I think he stuck around for a year or two and then quit the team.

Laney was just too small it seemed to make an impact. Dexter Green and Jeff Curry were smaller backs but they were about 5-8 180 lbs.

Laney was lucky if he was 5-4 150 lbs. That guy was really tiny. But I remembered when he was first on the team that he was expected to make a big impact. Never happened.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm going to predict that Lampkin will start right off the bat at KR and as a gunner on the punt team.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm going to predict that Lampkin will start right off the bat at KR and as a gunner on the punt team.

That may be but I think he will have to be significantly better at returner or be pushing hard for time at WR to not redshirt. I don't think you burn a redshirt if it's close but that's just me and it would be a matter of philosophy which is always different. I am usually a big fan of redshirts. It will just depend on what he shows this summer and fall. My hope is that between Jarvis West, Shontrelle, LJ and Lenz, they can handle it.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
If Shontrelle is getting a good number of carries, I doubt we will see him as a kick returner.

mksmith2

Apr 30, 2010
Ames, IA
let's not forget his rapping skills, we could have an original intro song for as long as he's here.

Seriously though, his highlight videos have been impressive and I hope he is able to do just as well against B12 competition.