Football TV Coverage map next year.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Anyone else worried what the football TV coverage map is going to look like next year. ABC was pretty evenly split right down the center of Iowa when it came to Big 10 / Big 12 Coverage for the big games. Now with Nebraska in the Big 10, how is this going to effect the ABC/ESPN network families coverage of Iowa. I could see ABC covering the whole state as Big 10 now and not giving a crap about ISU fans because of Nebraska. There might be a pocket in Des Moines, but ISU could royally get screwed now.

Any thoughts or inside news from the networks or local affiliates?

Last edited:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Wow...I never really thought about this...but I think your fears are going to play out. I guess it will depend on matchups and who is hot...but I think the entire state will get a decent Big Ten matchup over a decent Big 12 game.

BD4CY

Sep 22, 2007
As long as the Big 10 has the reverse mirror thing with ABC/ESPN I don't think it will be much of a problem

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
When does the ESPN/Big 10 contract end?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I believe there are only 2 ABC affiliates in Iowa (KCRG and WOI) Both of those will air an Iowa game over and ISU game if they are on ABC at the same time. I am also pretty confident in saying that both will air an ISU game over a Nebraska game if they are both on ABC at the same time.

In the games that do not involve any of the 3, I would not be surprised to see a little more of a shift to more Big 10 games, depending on the matchup...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I almost hope we aren't on ABC anymore. We (with exception of the Nebraska game) normally get stomped. I think Dez Bryant just scored another TD on us in Stillwater.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
I believe there are only 2 ABC affiliates in Iowa (KCRG and WOI) Both of those will air an Iowa game over and ISU game if they are on ABC at the same time. I am also pretty confident in saying that both will air an ISU game over a Nebraska game if they are both on ABC at the same time.

There is also KCAU out of Sioux City that is an ABC affiliate, but with half of their viewers in Nebraska it is safe to say that they will carry a Nebraska or Big 10 game over ISU & Big 12.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
I almost hope we aren't on ABC anymore. We (with exception of the Nebraska game) normally get stomped. I think Dez Bryant just scored another TD on us in Stillwater.

Ha I remember listening to Walters when they had the ball on about their own 10, and his play-by-play went something like this, "Bryant on the short slant, and ohhh God, there is no one around him......Touchdown Oklahoma State."

That game was awful, besides the fact that Leonard Johnson breaking some kickoff return yardage record just because he had so many opportunities.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
There is also KCAU out of Sioux City that is an ABC affiliate, but with half of their viewers in Nebraska it is safe to say that they will carry a Nebraska or Big 10 game over ISU & Big 12.

Not so fast. There were at least two instances in the 2010 season when Nebraska & Iowa were on ABC at the same time and both times, the Nebraska was shown on a digital subchannel of KCAU and Iowa on the main feed of KCAU (the subchannels aren't HD capable).

In the games that do not involve any of the 3, I would not be surprised to see a little more of a shift to more Big 10 games, depending on the matchup...

There are also ABC affiliates in Davenport, Kirksville, MO/Ottumwa, and Austin, MN/Mason City. Kirksville/Ottumwa normally goes with the Big 12 game, but in markets like Davenport, Austin/Mason City and Cedar Rapids, the only time in the past you would ever find these markets showing a 2:30pm Big 12 game is when Iowa St. is playing and the same can be said going forward as well. There just isn't the interest or demand for Big 12 football in these markets.

The 3 main markets you need to worry about are Omaha, Sioux City, and Des Moines. With KETV out of Omaha, I expect them to be Big 10 heavy for the 2:30 game and will only show Big 12 games when Iowa St. is scheduled. If we ever come to the bridge that ISU & Nebraska are scheduled to play at the same time on ABC. Most definately KETV will go with the Nebraska telecast. If that's the case and if the ISU game doesn't make it to the reverse mirror, i'm sure KETV will have the permission to put said ISU game on a digital subchannel.

I really don't know what route KCAU & WOI will go. My guess is probably a balance between the two conferences, but that depends on the matchup (say for example ABC picks up a TT/KSU game for the 2:30 game, my guess is that all ABC affiliates in Iowa will go with whatever the Big 10 game is, regardless of matchup).

The reverse mirror will be handy to get Big 12 games cleared, espcially in Central Iowa, but as I found out during the past football season, there's a limit as to the number of times that the Big 12 2:30 game can be used in the reverse mirror and for the 2010 season, that limit was maxed out in early November.

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Anyone else worried what the football TV coverage map is going to look like next year. ABC what pretty evenly split right down the center of Iowa when it came to Big 10 / Big 12 Coverage for the big games. Now with Nebraska in the Big 10, how is this going to effect the ABC/ESPN network families coverage of Iowa. I could see ABC covering the whole state as Big 10 now and not giving a crap about ISU fans because of Nebraska. There might be a pocket in Des Moines, but ISU could royally get screwed now.

Any thoughts or inside news from the networks or local affiliates?
I would not worry about it. Since ABC/ESPN became part of the same family of networks I think they would always show our games on one of their slew of alternate channels. Beebe's goal is for every game to be televised and I think it's attainable.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not so fast. There were at least two instances in the 2010 season when Nebraska & Iowa were on ABC at the same time and both times, the Nebraska was shown on a digital subchannel of KCAU and Iowa on the main feed of KCAU (the subchannels aren't HD capable).

There are also ABC affiliates in Davenport, Kirksville, MO/Ottumwa, and Austin, MN/Mason City. Kirksville/Ottumwa normally goes with the Big 12 game, but in markets like Davenport, Austin/Mason City and Cedar Rapids, the only time in the past you would ever find these markets showing a 2:30pm Big 12 game is when Iowa St. is playing and the same can be said going forward as well.

The 3 main markets you need to worry about are Omaha, Sioux City, and Des Moines. With KETV out of Omaha, I expect them to be Big 10 heavy for the 2:30 game and will only show Big 12 games when Iowa St. is scheduled.

I really don't know what route KCAU & WOI will go. My guess is probably a balance between the two conferences, but that depends on the matchup (say for example ABC picks up a TT/KSU game for the 2:30 game, my guess is that all ABC affiliates in Iowa will go with whatever the Big 10 game is, regardless of matchup).

The reverse mirror will be handy, but there's a limit as to the number of times that the Big 12 2:30 game can be used in the reverse mirror and for the 2010 season, that limit was maxed out in early November.

ABC affiliate in Davenport isn't actually in Iowa - it's in Moline, IL.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

There are also ABC affiliates in Davenport, Kirksville, MO/Ottumwa, and Austin, MN/Mason City. Kirksville/Ottumwa normally goes with the Big 12 game, but in markets like Davenport, Austin/Mason City and Cedar Rapids, the only time in the past you would ever find these markets showing a 2:30pm Big 12 game is when Iowa St. is playing and the same can be said going forward as well. There just isn't the interest for Big 12 football in these markets.

The 3 main markets you need to worry about are Omaha, Sioux City, and Des Moines. With KETV out of Omaha, I expect them to be Big 10 heavy for the 2:30 game and will only show Big 12 games when Iowa St. is scheduled. If we ever come to the bridge that ISU & Nebraska are scheduled to play at the same time on ABC. Most definately KETV will go with the Nebraska telecast. Wether or not the ISU game makes it to the reverse mirror, depends on who they are playin.

The reverse mirror will be handy, but there's a limit as to the number of times that the Big 12 2:30 game can be used in the reverse mirror and for the 2010 season, that limit was maxed out in early November.

I do agree. As far as coverage for ISU, nothing will change. The Big 12 will probably be shown less in Iowa, however, although it was already pretty Big 10 heavy...

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I don't want to seem to negative, but I just looked at the coverage map for ISU Nebraska last year. ISU coming off a big win over Texas, and Nebraska playing very well and half of Missouri still got the Northwestern / Penn State game. I have a feeling it is going to be total Big 10 domination of the airwaves.

https://admin.xosn.com/pics31/0/LZ/...138.jpg?SPSID=48323&SPID=4653&DB_OEM_ID=10700

Look more closely at the map, it was more like the Eastern quarter of Missouri that had the Big 10 game. These are areas that get their ABC from an Illinois TV market or a split market like St. Louis. The majority of Missouri had the Nebraska/ISU game.

Edit: I went back and looked at all of the 2:30 coverage maps for the 2010 season and the ABC in St. Louis went with Big 12 more often than they did with the Big 10, probably knowing the Big 10 game would automatically go to the reverse mirror (it's part of the Big 10 contract with ABC).

The NE & SE corners of Missouri were the only places in Missouri that were routinely shut out of the 2:30 Big 12 game on ABC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron