Player Profile:Jared Brackens

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Good as always, Trevor. So who is competing for the S spot this fall? I assume Jared will RS.

That's a good question. I think Givens, Brooks, Broomfield and Washington will all be fighting for it. Bennett could also make a push for some playing time there.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I apologize for the errors in that piece. Something happened in the transition from Word to the current format and it left a couple words out that were kind of important to the meaning.

-In regards to the first paragraph, it was supposed to say that 4.5 may not be out of the question as far as his speed.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
That's a good question. I think Givens, Brooks, Broomfield and Washington will all be fighting for it. Bennett could also make a push for some playing time there.

I'm most excited to see Washington's progression. Stepping up and into the LB spot for part of the year last year shows he a pretty "heady" DB, and his knowledge of the defense will only improve with that experience. I'm anxious to see how he fills that SS role.

Broomfield and Brooks seemed ahead of Givens all fall so I'm curious which one is going to step up this Spring, but I wouldn't discount Jared next year. He's a Very good tackler, solid fundamentals and great instincts. This past year he really worked on his speed from his summer time so I wouldn't be surprised if his 40 time is pretty close. He's played Corner and Safety in HS and went from the big hit Safety to a shut down Corner this past season so I wouldn't be surprised if we see him in Nickel situations at the very least, but that is also going to be dependent on our DLine and how much spread we'll see next year.

I'm also curious about Richardson playing in the Nickel. I can't see him not playing next year on special teams. The guy blocked 6 kicks and a punt last year so he might be ready to go right out of the gate and depending on his development this summer he could be ready for the Defense too.

Last edited:

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Like the writeup. The photo of him at his official with the other recruits suggests that he has plenty of frame on which to grow muscle. If he can keep some quickness and footspeed, he could be a force at the OLB. So is Darian Cotton locked in for a safety spot in the future? I figured that was the case, but just curious.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm most excited to see Washington's progression. Stepping up and into the LB spot for part of the year last year shows he a pretty "heady" DB, and his knowledge of the defense will only improve with that experience. I anxious to see how he fills that SS role.

Broomfield and Brooks seemed ahead of Givens all fall so I'm curious which one is going to step up this Spring, but I wouldn't discount Jared next year. He's a Very good tackler, solid fundamentals and great instincts. This past year he really worked on his speed from his summer time so I wouldn't be surprised if his 40 time is pretty close. He's played Corner and Safety in HS and went from the big hit Safety to a shut down Corner this past season so I wouldn't be surprised if see him in Nickel situations at the very least, but that is also going to be dependent on our DLine and how much spread we'll see next year.

I'm also curious about Richardson playing in the Nickel as well. I can't see him not playing next year on special teams. The guy blocked 6 kicks and a punt last year so he might be ready to go right out of the gate and depending on his development this summer he could be ready for the Defense too.

Really? I have a feeling the staff could get charged with involuntary manslaughter if they put him out as a true freshman. He is only about 160 pounds. He is smallish, but I think he needs the redshirt year like Jeremy Reeves to put on enough muscle to stay alive on the field. Reeves was also an all-world HS player for the best team in the nation that year(Allen), but he wasn't going to sniff the field that first season.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Like the writeup. The photo of him at his official with the other recruits suggests that he has plenty of frame on which to grow muscle. If he can keep some quickness and footspeed, he could be a force at the OLB. So is Darian Cotton locked in for a safety spot in the future? I figured that was the case, but just curious.

Adding speed on defense is huge for ISU. The trend is undersized yet fast LBs that wreak havoc at the line and in covereage. Taking the edge away from a running standpoint would be huge.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Really? I have a feeling the staff could get charged with involuntary manslaughter if they put him out as a true freshman. He is only about 160 pounds. He is smallish, but I think he needs the redshirt year like Jeremy Reeves to put on enough muscle to stay alive on the field. Reeves was also an all-world HS player for the best team in the nation that year(Allen), but he wasn't going to sniff the field that first season.

He's not seeing the field on Defense if he doesn't do any developing this Summer(which is why I said he needs to develop), but would you want to sit a kid on special teams that blocked 6 kicks and a punt in one of the better conferences in Texas?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Honestly, I think you have it right. To me, Brackens looked like he was a strong 6'2 and 240 shouldn't be out of the question. I just think that is too much potential not to use. I could see Mattison moving to the safety spot and Brackens then going to LBer. To be honest, I never understood the Mattison to Lber deal.

Reeves didn't redshirt and he did see the field.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He's not seeing the field on Defense if he doesn't do any developing this Summer(which is why I said he needs to develop), but would you want to sit a kid on special teams that blocked 6 kicks and a punt in one of the better conferences in Texas?

Here's the thing. Normally I would agree but next year lose our of our 4 best corners and then lose the other the next year. I think we have some decent corners but if you can stretch out the depth, I think you do it. IMO, unless they are needed, you redshirt every DB in this class because right now we have the depth. In a couple years, we may not. That is of course considering none of them are beating out other players at the CB or S position. At his size, he isn't going to be that kick blocking threat like he was.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009

He's pretty thick right now. I'd say Richardson is around 170, Reeves was listed at 168 last year. With that being said he'll likely redshirt. Rhoads seemed pretty impressed by Matthew Thomas. We also have quite a few S/LB types to put on special teams this year that we don't need Richardson unless he proves to be a killer return man.

In the coach review of the recruits on cyclones.com, Rhoads made it sound like Cotton and Brackens were the future at Saftey. Brackens is probably 6-2 200. Bennett is 6-1 214 and Givens is 5-11 218. Its safe to say we are looking for some big safties. What's funny is Bennett is bigger than Mattison, George, and Morgan (all LBs).

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I'm most excited to see Washington's progression. Stepping up and into the LB spot for part of the year last year shows he a pretty "heady" DB, and his knowledge of the defense will only improve with that experience. I'm anxious to see how he fills that SS role.

Broomfield and Brooks seemed ahead of Givens all fall so I'm curious which one is going to step up this Spring, but I wouldn't discount Jared next year. He's a Very good tackler, solid fundamentals and great instincts. This past year he really worked on his speed from his summer time so I wouldn't be surprised if his 40 time is pretty close. He's played Corner and Safety in HS and went from the big hit Safety to a shut down Corner this past season so I wouldn't be surprised if we see him in Nickel situations at the very least, but that is also going to be dependent on our DLine and how much spread we'll see next year.

I'm also curious about Richardson playing in the Nickel. I can't see him not playing next year on special teams. The guy blocked 6 kicks and a punt last year so he might be ready to go right out of the gate and depending on his development this summer he could be ready for the Defense too.
Since first seeing his recruiting video, I have been a fan of Broomfield. He is smaller, but the kid had good instincts and was a GREAT tackler. Watching recruiting video is troubling sometimes as kids show big hits instead of solid tackling technique. It is refreshing to see kids that tackle well. Reminded me of watching Klein's recruiting video. Always in the right spot, always drove through the ball carrier, always wrapped up, and always made the tackle.

Last edited:

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Iince first seeing his recruiting video, I have been a fan of Broomfield. He is smaller, but the kid had good instincts and was a GREAT tackler. Watchig recruiting vidoe is troubling sometimes as kids show big hits instead of soloid tackling technique. It is refreshing to see kids that tackle well. Reminded me of watching Kleins recruiting video. Always in the right spot, always drove through the ball carrier, always wrapped up, and always made the tackle.

I agree. I think Broomfield is going to be a stud. He was also in on most of the tackles on special teams this year, a lot like Knott and Klein were the year before.

I think the safties will be Washington at SS and Broomfield at FS with Givens coming in on certain downs and get playing time like Sandvig got. Bennett will probably be on special teams, until he proves himself.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Honestly, I think you have it right. To me, Brackens looked like he was a strong 6'2 and 240 shouldn't be out of the question. I just think that is too much potential not to use. I could see Mattison moving to the safety spot and Brackens then going to LBer. To be honest, I never understood the Mattison to Lber deal.

Reeves didn't redshirt and he did see the field.[/QUOTE]

Your right. i thought sure I saw a RS next to his name on the roster. I don't remember seeing him at all, as Kennard Banks and Leonard Johnson pretty much held down those positions, and Benton came in at the end of the season.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
6'1 200 lbs is not big for safety.

I found the picture. Brackens is about the size of our TE(DE) signee.
148268_1238328854534_1718667637_434462_7545439_n.jpg

back row is Jevohn Miller, Steele, Donald Smith. Front: Lemke, Richardson, Standard, Brackens

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008

Anyone watch Cotton's highlights video? To me, he seemed cat quick. I was startled by how quick he appeared.

In a recruiting day interview, Bob Elliott said they got four DBs in the class, covering all positions: two corners (Richardson, Lynn) and two safeties (Cotton, Brackens). Can't help but think the staff would like to keep Brackens at safety, but, then, over time, things can change. . . .

Right now, looking at depth, isn't Brackens needed at safety more than he would be a OLB?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Anyone watch Cotton's highlights video? To me, he seemed cat quick. I was startled by how quick he appeared.

In a recruiting day interview, Bob Elliott said they got four DBs in the class, covering all positions: two corners (Richardson, Lynn) and two safeties (Cotton, Brackens). Can't help but think the staff would like to keep Brackens at safety, but, then, over time, things can change. . . .

Right now, looking at depth, isn't Brackens needed at safety more than he would be a OLB?

Yes, maybe. It depends on Bennett. I thought he was listed as a LBer but he isn't. He's still a safety. I just have a feeling Brackens is going to grow out of safety. He's a lot bigger kid than I thought he was. Like I said, I would prefer Mattison move to safety and Brackens to LBer.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
. . . I just have a feeling Brackens is going to grow out of safety. He's a lot bigger kid than I thought he was. Like I said, I would prefer Mattison move to safety and Brackens to LBer.

I believe I understand your thinking here. F. Mattison is a thin guy, perhaps he'll have a problem adding weight to get to linebacker size. But, IIRC, he's got outstanding speed. I can see how a Brackens-Mattison positions switch looks possible.

Either might be well-suited to play the hybrid nickel-back role, too, wouldn't you say? Say, isn't this position similar to the Monster back defense that Michigan State's great teams of 1965-66 ran (George Webster?) If so, what goes around comes around, I guess.