When's Our Next Kicker Recruit?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
They wanted to bring another one in this year so that they dont have to have another true freshman kicker. It does not make any sense to have 3 scholarship kickers on roster, so it didnt happen. I do not believe that Zach has a redshirt year, so next year will be his last season as well.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that's a good question. Guyer didn't kick this year, so he could have redshirted. Or, if the coaches don't believe he's the right guy for the job, maybe they want him to go ahead and graduate. My preference would be to sign a kicker in the 2012. Have him compete against the RS SR Guyer. If he wins the job, fine. If Guyer wins it, the FR redshirts.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Cole Netten kicker from Ankeny. Has started since he was a freshmen.

He didn't start varsity until Zeb Miller broke his collarbone. He did split time starting between my freshman team and the soph. team. Still I would like to see him at ISU. He is a Cyclone fan.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm hoping Matt Easley from Newton gives Iowa State serious consideration.

Last edited:

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I hope Guyer gets a legit shot to win the job this summer. Nothing against Grant but he's too hot and cold. He'll have 3-4 games in a row where he looks like a professional, then he'll have 5 games in a row where he looks terrible. The staff puts him in some tough spots, though. He gets a ton of long attempts. Not sure if those are hurting his confidence or not.

I hope we continue to use scholarships for kickers. Drove me crazy when McCarney wouldn't always do that.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Schmadke from Waterloo C has the best stats in the state.
7/8 FG long 48
36/58 kickoffs were touchbacks

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Guyer did red-shirt and will get a chance in 2012. They will probably bring in a kicker in the next class and red-shirt him for 2013 or start him in 2012 if he beats out Guyer.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I hope Guyer gets a legit shot to win the job this summer. Nothing against Grant but he's too hot and cold. He'll have 3-4 games in a row where he looks like a professional, then he'll have 5 games in a row where he looks terrible. The staff puts him in some tough spots, though. He gets a ton of long attempts. Not sure if those are hurting his confidence or not.

I hope we continue to use scholarships for kickers. Drove me crazy when McCarney wouldn't always do that.

Grant is quite a bit better.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

He's had a "legit shot" the past 3 seasons.

Guyer did red-shirt and will get a chance in 2012. They will probably bring in a kicker in the next class and red-shirt him for 2013 or start him in 2012 if he beats out Guyer.

No, he didnt. He is a true Junior. Next year will be his final season.

Cycofan1

Jan 12, 2009
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bT_bSdy3hA]YouTube - 2011 Underclassmen Challenge Highlights - Kohl's Kicking Camps[/ame]

At 1:48 Cole Netten kicks a 57 yard field goal.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think that's a good question. Guyer didn't kick this year, so he could have redshirted. Or, if the coaches don't believe he's the right guy for the job, maybe they want him to go ahead and graduate. My preference would be to sign a kicker in the 2012. Have him compete against the RS SR Guyer. If he wins the job, fine. If Guyer wins it, the FR redshirts.
We need better fieldgoal kicking in cold weather.