For those freaking out about DL recruiting

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I am working on transcribing CPR quotes from today and I thought that this one was worth posting. I see so many people worry about numbers at each position. I think that this is a good example of the need to trust the men (or women) in place to do their jobs. Here's what Coach Rhoads had to say about numbers by position in the 2011 class.

“We establish numbers and needs at every single position group. It is very systematic.” ---

“As we look at the numbers that we currently have on scholarship at the close of the 2010 season or about a year and a half before when we know what they are going to be, we start to assess what our needs are and how many at each position we want. Then we identify them and evaluate them and secure them. That’s where we ended up with this class. We are very close to all of those numbers at every position. Some people might panic saying ‘you’re low here or you’re high here.’ In truth, we are about right on the money with the numbers we want at every position group.”

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
You're telling me armchair coaches on message boards don't know more about recruiting than the coaching staff? Shocker :jimlad:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
We're freaking out about production; not numbers. It'd be nice to bring in a high school senior with some impressive stats as opposed to a juco or moving a DE inside. Cyclone fans are dying to see some more quarterback pressure.

That being said, I am cautiously optimistic about this season's squad. We've seen flashes.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
We'll see what Nelson brings to the table this year but what we have seen for penetration from our DTs has been constant improvement. Rump from 2009 to 2010 definitely developed and McDonough progressed as the season wore on. If the guys we have are developed right, and force teams to double team anyone other than our inside guys, then things will change pretty quickly.

Reactions: delt4cy

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
You're telling me armchair coaches on message boards don't know more about recruiting than the coaching staff? Shocker :jimlad:

Just to play devil's advocate, what else is Rhoads going to say? That we really wanted some DT but we missed out on all of them?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
They have even had numbers on how many players they want at each position NEXT YEAR. I'm sure we wanted on of those DTs but we are obviously not in a situation where we can't just take one more DT next year. It is a non issue.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
coach is a great man and i trust him but also believe he is only going to say positive things in a presser. we won't see how much it will hurt this year is a couple years down the road

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Why dont people freak out about how pathetic the offense is?

That is the story line here folks.

Id love to see the offensive scoring totals last year when you take the 5 defensive/special teams TDs out of the equation.

Reactions: Sloup

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not freaking out by any means. But i'd feel a bit better about those quotes if it wasnt for Louvan Green. We tried to get a DT and lost him to a lowly Mt West team at the last second.
If its so systematic, then we were trying for a DT for a reason.
But, im certainly not freaking out. I like this class.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Why dont people freak out about how pathetic the offense is?

That is the story line here folks.

Id love to see the offensive scoring totals last year when you take the 5 defensive/special teams TDs out of the equation.
What he said, QB and WR play over the last two years had been average at best.

Reactions: ajk4st8

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Who is on the 2012 D-line at the moment?
Rony Nelson, and Jake McDonough come to mind immediately. Who else has playing time under their belts that would be in this group?
Knott, Klein will be seniors in 2012 as well.

All that aside, I feel the defense this fall is going to be pretty salty and surprise a lot of people.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
People freaking out obviously don't remember how bad things were when we started true Freshman Matt Scherbring, at DT. We were notoriously thin at DT back then. I think we only had 4 on the entire roster IIRC.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I am working on transcribing CPR quotes from today and I thought that this one was worth posting. I see so many people worry about numbers at each position. I think that this is a good example of the need to trust the men (or women) in place to do their jobs. Here's what Coach Rhoads had to say about numbers by position in the 2011 class.

“We establish numbers and needs at every single position group. It is very systematic.†---

“As we look at the numbers that we currently have on scholarship at the close of the 2010 season or about a year and a half before when we know what they are going to be, we start to assess what our needs are and how many at each position we want. Then we identify them and evaluate them and secure them. That’s where we ended up with this class. We are very close to all of those numbers at every position. Some people might panic saying ‘you’re low here or you’re high here.’ In truth, we are about right on the money with the numbers we want at every position group.â€

Really Chris?

Everything I have read calls for an upgrade at D-Line, it doesn't really get into numbers......

Your post does nothing to address the lack of production from the D-Line and quite frankly CPR's quotes don't address the production of the D-Line they just address the numbers. Thanks for playin.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Really Chris?

Everything I have read calls for an upgrade at D-Line, it doesn't really get into numbers......

Your post does nothing to address the lack of production from the D-Line and quite frankly CPR's quotes don't address the production of the D-Line they just address the numbers. Thanks for playin.

No reason to be a ****.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I commend the effort Chris, but I fear this thread will evolve into the same cast of characters rehashing their fears for what seems like the 10,000th time.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Really Chris?

Ever think that offensive 3 and outs hurt the defense because we sure had a lot of those.