I have to wonder

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
If Majors or Bruce had been asked by Pitt, Tenn or Ohio State to leave Ames after only two years (and little success) would they have done the same thing chiz did and go to an established power job??

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
The answer is yes, they would! And would be crazy not to (leave that is. I don't begrudge Chiz that). Majors and Bruce were excellent, excellent coaches

Does that make you feel better, or worse?

And I guess I better clarify my statement. Check to see what Pittsburgh did before Majors got there. Ohio State already was an established power, but Bruce did great things there -- except the one year they lost THREE freaking games and the spoiled fan base and boosters went nuts and fired Bruce.

My bad, OSU lost four games Bruce's final year.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You are never going to convince us that what he did was right. Its not about him leaving! Its about how he did it.

Yup, and the runup to him leaving didnt help either. Remember that the whole 'firmly entrenched' thing came after radio reports about him talking to his friends about how bad he thought this job was and how he regretted coming here.

I dont have any problem with him actually leaving. If he'd left on good terms, a lot more ISU fans mightve been cheering for Auburn (aside from the cam newton thing)

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
If Majors or Bruce had been asked by Pitt, Tenn or Ohio State to leave Ames after only two years (and little success) would they have done the same thing chiz did and go to an established power job??

I have to wonder: why does it bother you that people justifiably dislike Chizik?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You are never going to convince us that what he did was right. Its not about him leaving! Its about how he did it.

+3

I understand you thought up a new argument (Majors/Bruce). But you still dont seem to understand the situation.

Chizik didn't even tell his own mother, much less his AD, that he was bolting for Auburn. Then he spent mere minutes with his team and jumped on a plane. Chizik was NEVER commited to doing the hard work at ISU. He was told by the good old boys at Auburn to get head coaching experience so it would look better when they hired him. It was a backroom handshake deal from the start.
Chizik did the bare minimum at ISU. His two recruiting classes were full of busts and no shows. He recruited a bunch of JuCos in hopes of winning a few games right away rather than rebuilding from the bottom up. He mad abolutely no effort to recruit in Iowa, instead preferring to spend as much time recruiting in the south, which looks better on a resume.

There really aren't that many people on the board who blame Chizik for leaving for a job that doubled his salary. It's how he did it that matters. Couple that with the **** poor job he did while at ISU and you have the reason why we can't stand your posts reb.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
I have no problem w/ him leaving for Auburn. No doubt a step up in college football ranks. As everyone has said, it is how he did it.
to answer original question: i do think all of them would have left.

Gene is gone, he won a NC. I'm happy for him. But i'm very happy with who is ISU's coach now. Win-win for everyone in my opinion.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
+3

I understand you thought up a new argument (Majors/Bruce). But you still dont seem to understand the situation.

Chizik didn't even tell his own mother, much less his AD, that he was bolting for Auburn. Then he spent mere minutes with his team and jumped on a plane. Chizik was NEVER commited to doing the hard work at ISU. He was told by the good old boys at Auburn to get head coaching experience so it would look better when they hired him. It was a backroom handshake deal from the start.
Chizik did the bare minimum at ISU. His two recruiting classes were full of busts and no shows. He recruited a bunch of JuCos in hopes of winning a few games right away rather than rebuilding from the bottom up. He mad abolutely no effort to recruit in Iowa, instead preferring to spend as much time recruiting in the south, which looks better on a resume.

There really aren't that many people on the board who blame Chizik for leaving for a job that doubled his salary. It's how he did it that matters. Couple that with the **** poor job he did while at ISU and you have the reason why we can't stand your posts reb.
Nearly everything you say here is message board legend and has little to no basis in fact. A couple examples of the hyperbole, look at next years two deeps and who recruited them; the JUCO numbers were similar or less than any comparable class. Also, I would argue that a quick exit is the best way to go........limited defections and pulled the team together??? My only real point in all this is how easily anger clouds judgment. The guy just won a National Championship and coach of the year in all the polls. 53 years was a long drought for Auburn.

Last edited:

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I think for the most part Gene is a ok guy and believe it or not I do think that there are many coaches out there a lot worse than Chizik in the since of integrity. I do also believe that he handled the move without class.

I'm not saying that it makes him a horrible human being, but you can't act like he did nothing but wonderful things at ISU. This isn't about him leaving, we all thought he was going to leave; but we thought he had more integrity than he showed at his departure and something like that is hard to get over. It was like he kicked the dirt of his feet as he left and never looked back. No regret for not having won more games at ISU, or leaving us at one of the worst times recruiting wise. Fact is I heard him try to take partial credit for Rhoads bowl game last year.

That may not have been his intention. He may have just been showing us, once again, he wasn't ready to be a head coach at a place like ISU. However, it doesn't matter the intention, when you mis-handle the situation and never apologize it makes it hard for other to forgive and it brings into question the persons integrity.