Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't know it existed, but I went to the online menu and it didn't look too bad. The steaks were reasonably priced.

So, what'd you have?

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006

Beside the fact that it looks like a place someone would bring you upon being kidnapped from the outside, the inside was similar to any other dive bar restaurant you would eat at in Iowa. It's run by one guy, in his mid 60's I'd say, who's just about as nice as they come.

The menu is an eclectic mix of dishes from Mexico to South America.

I had an avocado type blt sandwich that was outstanding. He told us that he changes the menu frequently and offers a daily special.

He also doesn't have american soda, but offers this:

Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xGKbC2bomCM/RyrSDeDvtBI/AAAAAAAAA2I/IgWBp00Nhog/s400/70686813.jpg

, which is pretty much "win" in a can. I'm currently looking at finding where I can buy a case of the stuff.

I'll be going back. I love dives.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Beside the fact that it looks like a place someone would bring you upon being kidnapped from the outside, the inside was similar to any other dive bar restaurant you would eat at in Iowa. It's run by one guy, in his mid 60's I'd say, who's just about as nice as they come.

The menu is an eclectic mix of dishes from Mexico to South America.

I had an avocado type blt sandwich that was outstanding. He told us that he changes the menu frequently and offers a daily special.

He also doesn't have american soda, but offers this:

Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xGKbC2bomCM/RyrSDeDvtBI/AAAAAAAAA2I/IgWBp00Nhog/s400/70686813.jpg

, which is pretty much "win" in a can. I'm currently looking at finding where I can buy a case of the stuff.

I'll be going back. I love dives.

Interesting. Did you go there for lunch? Is it cash only?

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Interesting. Did you go there for lunch? Is it cash only?

As far as money goes, we paid cash... I didn't see a machine anywhere, but he may accept cards.

Went there for lunch today with a friend. We were the only one's in there. It looks like it is more of a Hispanic night club type place, but he has a pretty extensive menu and everything is prepared on order by him.

Don't want to get everyone excited... it's basically a bar that serves food, but it's unusual food and it tastes good if you like trying new things.

Instead of fries we were served yuca fries, which supposedly are some central american tuber similar to a potato. They were quite good.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
As far as money goes, we paid cash... I didn't see a machine anywhere, but he may accept cards.

Went there for lunch today with a friend. We were the only one's in there. It looks like it is more of a Hispanic night club type place, but he has a pretty extensive menu and everything is prepared on order by him.

Don't want to get everyone excited... it's basically a bar that serves food, but it's unusual food and it tastes good if you like trying new things.

Instead of fries we were served yuca fries, which supposedly are some central american tuber similar to a potato. They were quite good.

Oh don't worry about getting me overly excited, I drive by that place frequently on the way to UPS or FedEx, I know what I'm getting into! How do you compare it to food at say Cafe Baudelaire?

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Oh don't worry about getting me overly excited, I drive by that place frequently on the way to UPS or FedEx, I know what I'm getting into! How do you compare it to food at say Cafe Baudelaire?

Cafe Beaudelaire is my favorite restaurant in Ames. I would say the types of dishes on there would be similar in their uniqueness. He had several lamb dishes, a couple of seafood dishes, baba ganoush... basically stuff you aren't going to find any other places in town.

What I had wasn't as good as Beaudelaire, but it's different, which I like. I did notice that most of the food had numerous sauces or ingredients so both things we tried were very flavorful.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's Lovish for those of you that remember him. He owns the Magnostinos building while he was renting the campustown one. He wasn't getting anyone to rent out Magnostinos from him and moved his operations there and I drive by it daily and don't see too much activity.
I think a lot of his money is from phone cards, hispanic money transfers, etc.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It's Lovish for those of you that remember him. He owns the Magnostinos building while he was renting the campustown one. He wasn't getting anyone to rent out Magnostinos from him and moved his operations there and I drive by it daily and don't see too much activity.
I think a lot of his money is from phone cards, hispanic money transfers, etc.

Ah, the old, old Hickory Park building. Now I know what you are talking about. I'm nervious about trying any restraurant that isn't busy. Hard to say how long the food sits around....

When we go out for lunch we usually end up at the Cafe.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Cafe Beaudelaire is my favorite restaurant in Ames. I would say the types of dishes on there would be similar in their uniqueness. He had several lamb dishes, a couple of seafood dishes, baba ganoush... basically stuff you aren't going to find any other places in town.

What I had wasn't as good as Beaudelaire, but it's different, which I like. I did notice that most of the food had numerous sauces or ingredients so both things we tried were very flavorful.

I never knew that was actually a food. The only time I had ever heard it was on that Japanese game show deal on Spike. Learn something new every day on this board. :twitcy:

cq3wxDj8Doijvgkc8msmJ7SKo1_400.jpg

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I actually thought it was closed the last few times I was on E. Lincoln.

Who knew....

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006

via urbandictionary.com :

To be used in place of 'well', when one feels there is no more to say. This word was originally brought to the peoples' attention in 1994, from Jim Carrey in the cult classic, Dumb & Dumber.
This is simply one of the many words and phrases that continue to be used in teen conversation today.
Initial use of/birth of the word: "Hey fellas. Big Gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later!"

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
whelp​
(​
hwèlp, wèlp) noun

1.​
A young offspring of a mammal, such as a dog or wolf.

2.​
a. A child; a youth. b. An impudent young fellow. See Usage Note at adage.

3.​
a. A tooth of a sprocket wheel. b. Nautical. Any of the ridges on the barrel of a windlass or capstan.

verb​
whelped​
, whelp·ing, whelps verb, intransitive

To give birth to whelps or a whelp.​
verb​
, transitive

To give birth to (whelps or a whelp).​

[Middle English, from Old English hwelp.]

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I didn't know that Pierre Pierce opened a restaurant! Oh wait, that's Mandingo's!!!

cyclonefreak5

Sep 25, 2010
Ames
Just got home from my first ever trip to Mangostino's!! Super sketchy looking place, but the food was very very good. Highly recommend it and I will be going back soon!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Whelp - now that y'all have resurrected it, maybe I should point out that the word goes back much farther than Dumb & Dumber. I use it because my grandpa (b.1899 d.1994) used to say it. Maybe Jim Carrey learned it from him?