S. Johnson, K. Hamlin and K. Boyd and not Barnett, Capello and Richardson...hmm

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Anyone else a little surprised that we're losing Sedrick at WR, Hamlin at LB and Boyd the LB committment instead of one of our backup QBs and QB commitments?

We all know what our depth looks like at WR and LB. Sure we have some solid players at both positions, but overall depth at WR isn't anywhere it needs to be for proper progression of this program(although this recruiting class REALLY helps). We also have some stud LBs, but we all know what happened to our depth when Matty Tutu (thats what I'm going to call him since I yet to spell his name correctly on the boards) went down last year. Still a guy like Hamlin leaves the program and Boyd decommits when he has a great shot at making a quicker impact on this team than anywhere else in the Big 12.

I'm not really sure what to think about the whole QB depth, but I like the 4 guys in the system right now (including Jantz), and I like the 2 HS QB recruits (possible 3). So why are they all so committed to the program with such an abundance? Good position coach, nature of their position, more open competition gets a higher level of investment, or something? What's your thoughts?

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
If the guys we have competing for the quarterback spot have any confidence or competitive drive at all, they should love this situation. Whoever prepares the best and works the hardest from now until September will be the starter. Besides, I think only one of the guys in this recruiting class will stay at the quarterback position, unless there are some transfers.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm not and it should also be noted we haven't started next season yet. A LOT can happen. You just never know. We could be left with only 3 QBs on the roster. I'm not saying anyone will or should transfer, but there's a lot of time. Sam Richardsen worries me. I think he could be much better than his recruiting story tells.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
I'm not and it should also be noted we haven't started next season yet. A LOT can happen. You just never know. We could be left with only 3 QBs on the roster. I'm not saying anyone will or should transfer, but there's a lot of time. Sam Richardsen worries me. I think he could be much better than his recruiting story tells.

I'm really just hoping we are doing something right at that position and if we are I hope we can learn from it for other positions. We've all seen our share of RBs come and go, but if there is a formula or something we're doing right at QB, then I hope it can translate. It seems to me like leaps beyond just a couple years ago and the Phillip Bates situation. Maybe the landscape is changing, I don't know. Just look at Nebraska last year, they had 3 QBs and their best QB against us was their RB running the wildcat. So I can kinda see why the QBs are all still here and we haven't heard anything about any of them leaving (knock on wood). I just hope it is on purpose and not by accident or luck.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Why does that worry you then? He will play if he is good.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Anyone else a little surprised that we're losing Sedrick at WR, Hamlin at LB and Boyd the LB committment instead of one of our backup QBs and QB commitments?

We all know what our depth looks like at WR and LB. Sure we have some solid players at both positions, but overall depth at WR isn't anywhere it needs to be for proper progression of this program(although this recruiting class REALLY helps). We also have some stud LBs, but we all know what happened to our depth when Matty Tutu (thats what I'm going to call him since I yet to spell his name correctly on the boards) went down last year. Still a guy like Hamlin leaves the program and Boyd decommits when he has a great shot at making a quicker impact on this team than anywhere else in the Big 12.

I'm not really sure what to think about the whole QB depth, but I like the 4 guys in the system right now (including Jantz), and I like the 2 HS QB recruits (possible 3). So why are they all so committed to the program with such an abundance? Good position coach, nature of their position, more open competition gets a higher level of investment, or something? What's your thoughts?

I think you are reading WAY too much into it.

Sed Johnson left becuase it never really worked out for him here. Not because we have sooo much depth at WR.
Hamlin was dreadfully undersized and in a pergfect world, would never have played last year. He just could not add mass to his frame. My guess is that he made a decision to move on. The staff was undoubtedly recruiting over him and hopefully we have some better replacements.
Boyd is a HS senior from Texas. He wanted to play Big12 football so he commited to ISU early. He just got an offer from Baylor whose program is in a similar place to ISU and is much closer to home. I doubt his decision has anything to do with who is on our roster currently.

As for the QB situation, We have a lot of guys at various levels of their development as a QB. I would remove the incoming recruits from the eqaution at this point. I highly doubt any of them will show up in the fall and win the job. On top of that, while they all might get a shot at QB, Daniels was recruited as an athlete and I feel he will probably end up at another position after a redshirt or after his RS Freshman year at the latest. Sam Richardson is more of a pure QB prospect and will have a few years to develop.

That leaves the 4 upperclassmen. Tiller, Jantz, Capello, and Barnett. Four QBs is in no way a log jam. we have 2 RS Juniors, a RS Sophmore and a RS Frosh. That's actually pretty good spacing. I have the distinct feeling that it will be between the two Juniors with Capello having an outside shot to prove himself. Barnett is still pretty green but has potential.

As for the recruiting philosophy for QBs, I guarantee Herman never wants to be in the position we were in a few years ago where AA had to play injured in order to keep the redshirt on Tiller because we had absolutely noone else available. 4 active QBs (not counting the most likely redshirting true freshmen) is not a lot at all. JT and Jantz only have two years left and it is in the programs best interest to have a QB with a few years in the system to take over for them. In two years (without any defections) we will have RS Senior Capello, RS Junior Barnett, and probably just RS Sophmore Richardson to battle it out.

The staff will continue to recruit at least one QB per year if available and will probably continue to take shots with Athlete QBs with the option to play other positions.

I'm pretty sure the staff is taking the same approach to the other positions as well in an attempt to have players developing whenever possible so we aren't forced to play true freshman unless they are just that good. It is a process though and it has to be established. JuCos are bieng brought in to make up for recruiting misses in previous classes, to replace players that didn't pan out, and to take advantage of a JuCo who is just that good and would provide an improvement at the position.

Reactions: SwirlingFloater

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I agree with the above post, SJ's impact on this offense was almost non existent by the end of the year. I dont' think these departures are personal or are about personel, guys transfer all the time. I think these are still indirectly a result of the coaching change, its nothing strange to see a few guys trickle out of the program even in the years following a coaching change. I don't think we'll miss either of the guys that were already here but its always a little frustrating to lose a high school kid, especially to a conference rival.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The staff will continue to recruit at least one QB per year if available and will probably continue to take shots with Athlete QBs with the option to play other positions.

I'm pretty sure the staff is taking the same approach to the other positions as well in an attempt to have players developing whenever possible so we aren't forced to play true freshman unless they are just that good. It is a process though and it has to be established. JuCos are bieng brought in to make up for recruiting misses in previous classes, to replace players that didn't pan out, and to take advantage of a JuCo who is just that good and would provide an improvement at the position.

That is what Texas tech did under leach.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Leaving early is going to make SJ the most exaggerated player on this board come next fall. I'm sure if whoever is under center struggles people around here are going to think SJ would make all the difference.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Leaving early is going to make SJ the most exaggerated player on this board come next fall. I'm sure if whoever is under center struggles people around here are going to think SJ would make all the difference.

If Sed had done ANYTHING while he was here you might have a case, but in reality I don't think anyone would have that argument. Sed was just never able to accomplish anything. Sad but true.

If it were Darks that were leaving, then people could use it as an excuse.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
SJ's career at ISU can be summed up by one play in a game in 2009 (Okie State or Baylor?) where he had about 4 or 5 catches the entire season to this point and he caught a pass at the 3 or 4 yard line and got hit at the goal line and fumbled the ball to the defense on his way in for a TD.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Sam Richardson looks to be well equipped for our system and should have a great chance to be our qb in a couple of years if not sooner. He can be a big part of a program on the rise and I think he knows that. Losing him would be terrible and I'm sure the coaches know that.