Mountain Lion in Missouri

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Mountain Lions are in Iowa. It's been documented and one was killed. It is no longer a mystery.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
I believe that there have been three mt. lions killed in Iowa over the past decade or so; one was shot and two others were killed by vehicles. If my memory serves, all three were young males. No one knows what the lions were doing at this height.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
there have been several killed in iowa in the last few years. 1 was taken in sioux city-up in the riverside area, perched in a tree not far from a school. another was taken in cedar rapids area, and at least 1 more in northwest iowa but i can't remember the name of the town...

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
and there was one on a trail camera close to where i go deer hunting around november 15th. a kid who hunts the neighboring timber caught it on his camera and emailed me the pic.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Uh, nobody out there claims they aren't in Iowa. There have been several confirmed sightings in recent years. The only mountain lion claim that is rejected is that the DNR introduced them to the state.

Are they legal to shot or are the protected by the DNR?

I was under the impression that there is not season for them or a law against killling them since they do not exist in Iowa.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Are they legal to shot or are the protected by the DNR?

I was under the impression that there is not season for them or a law against killling them since they do not exist in Iowa.

The DNR has no law regarding them, and they are legal to shoot. However shooting one while it's sleeping in a tree really has no sport, and the guy from Marengo is not a true sportsman, just a killer.

Reactions: Irresponsible

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
Iowa has them. We had one by our land we own in sourthern Iowa, pics were taken. Also, when we went pheasant hunting on our land there were really BIG paw prints in the snow that looked like a mountain lions and if it wasnt a mountain lions paw print then I would have hate to have seen that dog that day.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
The DNR has no law regarding them, and they are legal to shoot. However shooting one while it's sleeping in a tree really has no sport, and the guy from Marengo is not a true sportsman, just a killer.

I don't know about you but I aint gonna wait for it to wake up! If I see one im gonna shoot it whether its playing with a ball of yarn like a kitten or getting ready to sink its claws into my back.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Uh, nobody out there claims they aren't in Iowa. There have been several confirmed sightings in recent years. The only mountain lion claim that is rejected is that the DNR introduced them to the state.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/wildlife/pdfs/mountain_lion.pdf

Iowa DNR confirms mountain lion shooting

This is the first confirmed sighting in Iowa in more than five years, and the fourth mountain lion killed in Iowa

Most of the things I have read and heard is the DNR claims most stories are just rumors.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
If you see a Mountain Lion in Iowa, it is 100% lawful to put it down. There have been dozens of documented cases of these cats in Iowa for the last decade, but ZERO documented cases of a female and her cubs setting up shop and making Iowa their permanent residence. Mainly what you have seen in Iowa are young males that are out on sabbatical and decided to venture out of the normal range.

Any nutcase that tries to tell you the DNR has been trying to stock Iowa with Mountain Lions are the type of people that get abducted by aliens after downing a couple bottles of booze. These people are sad drunks with boring jobs, and should be laughed at on sight.

Irresponsible

Jul 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
Any nutcase that tries to tell you the DNR has been trying to stock Iowa with Mountain Lions are the type of people that get abducted by aliens after downing a couple bottles of booze. These people are sad drunks with boring jobs, and should be laughed at on sight.

So, you're trying to tell me Sasquatch doesn't exist?:jimlad:

The article says the guy in Marengo is going to have the lion mounted. I wonder if he keeps it in the sleeping position.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't know about you but I aint gonna wait for it to wake up! If I see one im gonna shoot it whether its playing with a ball of yarn like a kitten or getting ready to sink its claws into my back.

Well since you asked I might've taken a picture of it and let it be. We've driven off natural predators of deer and other nuisance animals and their numbers have skyrocketed. The more deer these cats kill the better, and unneccesarily shooting them is wasteful and stupid.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Missouri and Iowa? In 2008 there was one inside Chicago city limits, an autopsy suggested it came from the Black Hills region. The fact that a cougar got across the states of Iowa/Minnesota, across the Mississippi River, traveled 200 miles further east through Illinois or Wisconsin and made it into a major city leads me to believe there are plenty of them in Iowa, Missouri and Minnesota at any time.

Once it got near Chicago it's not as shocking as some think for it to get into the actual city because coyotes get into the city following train tracks somewhat often. There was a coyote actually inside a downtown Quiznos a few years ago.

Last edited:

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Well since you asked I might've taken a picture of it and let it be. We've driven off natural predators of deer and other nuisance animals and their numbers have skyrocketed. The more deer these cats kill the better, and unneccesarily shooting them is wasteful and stupid.

Does that go for cattle and other livestock as well?

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Does that go for cattle and other livestock as well?

Show me an instance of them killing your cattle and livestock and I'll show you and instance where you're justified in killing one of them. I'm not saying you don't have a right to defend your livelihood or property. However, Mountain Lions traditionally shy away from any settled areas and when the hell was the last instance of anyone being attacked unprovoked by a mountain lion in Iowa? The whole backwoods logic of "I killed it before it could kill me" is just that, backwoods moron logic. As a hunter and conservationist, the guy that shot this mountain lion makes me flat out sick.