ISU FB Attendance 44th in Nation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Not to be a downer but we had 7 home games while a few of the teams below us only had 6. These results are a little skewed because of this so we should actually be lower for total attendance...

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Not to be a downer but we had 7 home games while a few of the teams below us only had 6. These results are a little skewed because of this so we should actually be lower for total attendance...

they counted the game in KC?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The humbling number is the percentage of capacity, in which ISU comes in 11th (82.58%).

Last edited:

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The humbling number is the percentage of capacity, in which ISU comes in 11th.

Not really. Average per game is more significant. 54th is nothing to sneeze at, especially for a team that the so called experts say should drop to a mid major status.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Not really. Average per game is more significant. 54th is nothing to sneeze at, especially for a team that the so called experts say should drop to a mid major status.

For a fan base that is as passionate as ISU, and for a team that just came off a bowl win a year after losing 10 straight, I think 45k/game is embarrassing...

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
And if we listed the number of actual seats as our capacity, which many schools who have standing room only do, we'd be over 100% capacity.

You should just make this part of your sig at this point. It would save you the time of having to remind everybody every time the attendance issue comes up.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You should just make this part of your sig at this point. It would save you the time of having to remind everybody every time the attendance issue comes up.

Ehh, Cartman is funnier.

It's no more tired than any other part of this entire attendance debate. Personally, I AM disappointed in our attendance, but when you step back and look at it from the big picture, it isn't nearly the problem some make it out to be. That's my whole point.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
And if we listed the number of actual seats as our capacity, which many schools who have standing room only do, we'd be over 100% capacity.
Dont get me wrong...I'm well aware of that. I guess my point was, more or less, that the ISU fanbase can do MUCH better!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
ISU needs to bowl in JTS. This will automatically make more fans come to the games.

Even though you're jesting, this statement is probably true to an extent. Who wouldn't rather sit on a nice seat than stand on a wet sloppy grass slope?

The problem is that increase in attendance would probably be in the neighborhood of maybe 1,000 fans per game (AT MOST) which isn't enough to monetarily justify it.

At the end of the day, that project has far more to do with aesthetics than it does attendance. I want to bowl the south end zone not because I think it will magically result in 50,000 people at each game, but because ISU needs to upgrade the facility.

Dont get me wrong...I'm well aware of that. I guess my point was, more or less, that the ISU fanbase can do MUCH better!

I agree. I'm just saying that if the AD listed JTS as having a capacity of 43,000 instead of 55,000 (which wouldn't be lying at all) it would make our fan base look really good, and might actually raise some opinions of ISU.

I know it sounds stupid, but imagine if we had actually listed capacity at 43,000. Our attendance comes in at over 100% of the capacity. Fans of other Big 12 schools are reading that and thinking "holy ****! ISU fans really come out for their team" instead of thinking "ISU. What a joke". Just something stupid like that could alter perception of ISU in a positive way.

Perception is powerful.

Cubsfan

Feb 9, 2009
Des Moines
For a fan base that is as passionate as ISU, and for a team that just came off a bowl win a year after losing 10 straight, I think 45k/game is embarrassing...

We've rarely had higher attendance than that. I don't know what you expect. I agree.. I wish ISU could bank on 50k a game, and thinking about getting 60k or 70k is a wet dream, but there is no reason to expect that based on one good season. There's a whole generation of ISU grads who are used to losing and never expect football to turn the corner.

It's more or less the huge sections of empty seats at the Missouri game or the inability to fill the donor seats in the lower deck that disappoint me. Same as always - the 35,000 or so diehards are always going to be there. Beyond that is a crapshoot.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I know a lot of people that would go to Nebraska and Iowa games if there were seats. (Although Nebraska doesn't matter now.) Lot of people won't sit on a hillside. I am one of them, tried it once. Horrible experience.

So the counter argument for people that don't want to bowl the endzone. Was JTS built too big? Should we put a tarp over some seats so that the stadium appears full even on the smallest crowd? Why have any excess capacity at all? What is the proper amount? How many people could we actually draw for UNI or an Iowa game?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Even though you're jesting, this statement is probably true to an extent. Who wouldn't rather sit on a nice seat than stand on a wet sloppy grass slope?

The problem is that increase in attendance would probably be in the neighborhood of maybe 1,000 fans per game (AT MOST) which isn't enough to monetarily justify it.

At the end of the day, that project has far more to do with aesthetics than it does attendance. I want to bowl the south end zone not because I think it will magically result in 50,000 people at each game, but because ISU needs to upgrade the facility.

I agree. I'm just saying that if the AD listed JTS as having a capacity of 43,000 instead of 55,000 (which wouldn't be lying at all) it would make our fan base look really good, and might actually raise some opinions of ISU.

I know it sounds stupid, but imagine if we had actually listed capacity at 43,000. Our attendance comes in at over 100% of the capacity. Fans of other Big 12 schools are reading that and thinking "holy ****! ISU fans really come out for their team" instead of thinking "ISU. What a joke". Just something stupid like that could alter perception of ISU in a positive way.

Perception is powerful.

I just don't know how many people look at a percentage. I think the vast majority look at the raw numbers which is ignorant, I know, but it is what it is.