Walter Woods

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
For all the people ******** about the DLine recruiting. This guy is more impressive than any of our remaining DT recruits. He was apparently impressing coaches before he got injured (what I've read on this board). He's just a redshirt Freshman, no reason to overlook him. We also have Aaron Moore, who I think will move inside. He was the scout team player of the year his redshirt year.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jupQ3lHzfgk]YouTube - #24 Walter Woods-Palmdale High School-2008 Highlights[/ame]

If he doesn't remind you of Brent Curvey, you should watch again.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
For all the people ******** about the DLine recruiting. This guy is more impressive than any of our remaining DT recruits. He was apparently impressing coaches before he got injured (what I've read on this board). He's just a redshirt Freshman, no reason to overlook him. We also have Aaron Moore, who I think will move inside. He was the scout team player of the year his redshirt year.

YouTube - #24 Walter Woods-Palmdale High School-2008 Highlights

Has nothing to do with this year's recruiting class.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames

Man why do you have to bring reason and thought into the process. Haven't you gotten the message...the sky is falling, we don't have any defensive linemen in the system!!!!

Reactions: State43

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Wasn't there a thread not too long ago about Moore being in jail again? If so I wouldn't count on him being here.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Anyone know where we stand with Filimoeatu?
One of the recruiting sites said last week that we still led, but he was still visiting Utah State last weekend, and K-State next. I suppose that if you want to know better than that, you can ask him yourself.

Or look for yourself, one of the two. It was free info.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

How much time did Woods see last year? The fact we were playing Taylor Mansfield does not make me feel confident. Maybe there is a reason we are not going harder after some guys. I hope so.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
How much time did Woods see last year? None. Guess who did see time at DT? Taylor Mansfield, a former FB, who weighed all of 250 pounds, and that is generous. That is all I need to know about the ability of Walter Woods.

Is that what you thought about Lattimer too?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
How much time did Woods see last year? The fact we were playing Taylor Mansfield does not make me feel confident. Maybe there is a reason we are not going harder after some guys. I hope so.
So, you're saying that you're just too....stubborn to notice the whole "Woods was injured" part, right there in front of your eyes?

Yes, I see that you edited.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Man why do you have to bring reason and thought into the process. Haven't you gotten the message...the sky is falling, we don't have any defensive linemen in the system!!!!
You don't just stop recruiting DTs because of this. We had one DT recruit last year. This year we have none. That tells me in 3-4 years you will not have that many DT ready to take reps.

I know we will have to develop DTs, but in order to do that, you need the bodies to develop. We do not have those bodies right now. Empty classes do not hurt now. They hurt later, and I want to see this program grow, not regress in 3 years.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I really like Woods and we'd be in a world of hurt without him. I'm hoping he can be our next Brent Curvey.

But to put things in perspective, Walter Woods came to ISU in 2009. He is 2 classes ahead of our current 2011 recruiting class. Our pipeline is way too bare for a Big 12 school. We need to have a Walter Woods in every class.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Is that what you thought about Lattimer too?
DE is an entirely different position than DT. They are not interchangeable. A DE of Lattimer's size is also only going to be at his best in a conference like the Big 12, where almost everyone runs a spread, and throws 40 times a game. Lattimer would not be close to this effective against a power running team, where he actually has to take on blocks, and not use his speed to beat his man outside.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
DE is an entirely different position than DT. They are not interchangeable. A DE of Lattimer's size is also only going to be at his best in a conference like the Big 12, where almost everyone runs a spread, and throws 40 times a game. Lattimer would not be close to this effective against a power running team, where he actually has to take on blocks, and not use his speed to beat his man outside.

Well since we play in the Big 12 I suppose that's alright.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Well since we play in the Big 12 I suppose that's alright.
I'm not knocking Lattimer. I expect him to be an all-conference performer next year. My beef is someone telling me that since 250 pounds is working for Lattimer, it will work for our DTs as well. In case anyone watched last year, Mansfield didn't exactly look stellar when taking his reps.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
How much time did Woods see last year?

As the OP stated, he wasn't an option last year due to an injury. Every player who comes into the program deserves a chance to show what he can do when healthy and given an opportunity. Don't write someone off simply because they redshirted their first year and then were sidelined by an injury. He still has 3 years to show what he can do on the field.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
As the OP stated, he wasn't an option last year due to an injury. Every player who comes into the program deserves a chance to show what he can do when healthy and given an opportunity. Don't write someone off simply because they redshirted their first year and then were sidelined by an injury. He still has 3 years to show what he can do on the field.
Not writing him off. I hope he lives up to some early hype, but we still needs DTs in every class so we do not need to chase JUCOs every year. The fact we are looking at Louvan Green tells me that for whatever reason, the staff wants another Big 12 ready tackle next year. We are also chasing HS DTs, so they are doing what they can. My frustration is more from the fact we do not currently have one, with 2 visit weekends, and about 3 total weeks left until signing day. I don't want ISU to be left holding the bag if we do not get some of the guys I know we are after, but haven't verballed.

Last edited: