2011 Ford Explorer-?

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I am taking a look at the "new" 2011 Ford Explorer. From what I gather, it may average 25 mph on highway driving, which is claimed to lead it's classification. And in the mid-size SUV category, it has changed frame design/build to a smaller car type frame design from a truck chasis, from what I understand. What are some of the basic differences between this vehicle and a Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX vehicle, which I am also considering? Appreciate any comments.

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
i went from a used 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer to a new 2011 Ford Edge Limited. I didnt look at a new Explorer, but big difference would be more seating in the Explorer, I assume better towing, a little higher clearance, and i think it has some special 'dial' where you can select how AWD works based on the current driving condidtions. I think I used my third row seat twice in five years so didnt think I need to seat 7. Seating 5 in the Edge should be good enough for what I need. If they updated the Explorer as much as they updated the Edge, it will be a smoother, quieter, more powerful ride than before. Also, check out MyFord Touch, very cool stuff if you are into technology.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Explorer will have third row seats, sits up higher than the Edge/MKX. The Edge/MKX are in the CUV category. If you are going to buy an Edge/MKX I would highly recommend getting one with All-Wheel drive vs. front wheel drive.

I currently drive an Edge, and will tell you the AWD is much better than FWD. There aren't really a lot of differences between the Edge and the MKX. A top of the line Edge will have all the bells and whistles the Lincoln has.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The only downside besides resale value that I could see is that it's a first year model. They look a lot nicer than previous Explorers.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
New one has a lot less steel in the frame, less power and smaller. Almost a crossover. If you want a rugged vehicle that can tow, buy a year end model. If you want the mileage and a highway vehicle, go for the new one. You have to give up something to get the mileage.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I am taking a look at the "new" 2011 Ford Explorer. From what I gather, it may average 25 mph on highway driving, which is claimed to lead it's classification. And in the mid-size SUV category, it has changed frame design/build to a smaller car type frame design from a truck chasis, from what I understand. What are some of the basic differences between this vehicle and a Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX vehicle, which I am also considering? Appreciate any comments.

I have a MKX and only ger 20-22 on highway, I do not se how the bigger explorer is going to get better mileage.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
From what I have read about the 2011 Explorer on the internet, a major change in vehicle weight was made to increase mpg. The body frame went from a truck to car frame essentially (crossover) and other lighter weight alloys were used wherever possible. Ford claims 25 highway miles (company test) but the EPA mpg designation has not been released per their statement regarding listed mpg. The interior room was kept, making it larger than similar crossover SUV's in its class. I was researching a V-6 only. I do not know if the new V-8 motors Ford is introducing in their 2011 pick-up models is available in the Explorer line, but obviously the mpg would go down and towing ability would go up with the V-8.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
My brother is in the RV Business...he's buying a 2010 Explorer. Not at all high on the new model.

IGoState

Jan 15, 2011
Just got one, I really like it

Of course I've never had a (truck, SUV, etc...) before so I don't have the experience to compare it with. I test drove the Edge and Explorer, and felt "better" in the Explorer plus it has a little more room for family, etc... I do know it will work for Tailgates at Jack Trice this fall!

I did my first highway driving last night (about 200 miles), I don't think it gets the 25 mph as stated. I wasn't paying close attention but I think it was averaging around 21.

SteveMouw

Apr 20, 2006
www.mouwmotor.com
The only downside besides resale value that I could see is that it's a first year model. They look a lot nicer than previous Explorers.

I would have very little concern on resale value of this vehicle. One year old Edges and Ford Fusions depreciate very little compared to other makes. Ford overall resale value has improved immensely due to much higher quality. They do not flood the market with fleet cars any more which helps resale values also.

Also, MPG on the front-wheel drive model is rated 25 highway, the 4x4 is 23 mpg highway.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I would have very little concern on resale value of this vehicle. One year old Edges and Ford Fusions depreciate very little compared to other makes. Ford overall resale value has improved immensely due to much higher quality. They do not flood the market with fleet cars any more which helps resale values also.

I agree that they have gotten better on some models. Hopefully since the Explorer is all new the old terrible resale values won't follow it.

SteveMouw

Apr 20, 2006
www.mouwmotor.com
I agree that they have gotten better on some models. Hopefully since the Explorer is all new the old terrible resale values won't follow it.

You are correct. The old style Explorer resale was not so great. Other than the name, the new Explorer has nothing in common with the previous model. It is quite a nice ride IMO.

vincentaldrich

Dec 16, 2010
www.automd.com
You are correct. The old style Explorer resale was not so great. Other than the name, the new Explorer has nothing in common with the previous model. It is quite a nice ride IMO.

I saw a site and reviewers say that the Explorer finally has what it takes to compete with the best midsize SUVs and crossovers on the market, naming it the 2011 North American Truck of the Year. Improved fuel economy, adept performance and a comfortable interior once again make the Ford Explorer a great choice for a family vehicle. Though there were still doubts, i agree with some of them.

2011-ford-explorer.jpg

Ford Repair Questions