ISU Logo - swirling, fighting Cy

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
I know it has been discussed to death on here but seeing the swirling, fighting Cy logo so often over xmas time brought this subject up to me again...

Why did ISU not provide the fighting Cy as a choice for the logo among the three finalist? It certainly is unique in relation to ISU and a pretty damn cool looking logo. I'm biased as I'm not a fan of the current logo at all...it is plain and does not distinguish Iowa State from other schools with the ISU acronym.

Thoughts?

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I'm one of the biggest proponents of the revamped, new color swirling Cy (our now "Old" logo). My guess is that they didn't put it up for a vote because the new "Bully Cy" would have been laughed off the planet and tanked in public opinion like the new "Legends and Leaders" Divisions in the Big Ten. And those oval logos? Well, I won't go into it again...but lets just say I am not a fan of such poor graphic design. I feel that this was done very cloak and dagger.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
The whirly Cy should never be the primary logo..especially that crapfest with blue in it. I have gotten nothing but positive comments when I travel with I-State gear on.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I know it has been discussed to death on here but seeing the swirling, fighting Cy logo so often over xmas time brought this subject up to me again...

Why did ISU not provide the fighting Cy as a choice for the logo among the three finalist? It certainly is unique in relation to ISU and a pretty damn cool looking logo. I'm biased as I'm not a fan of the current logo at all...it is plain and does not distinguish Iowa State from other schools with the ISU acronym.

Thoughts?

Cy should be a mascot, not a logo

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
This is easily my favorite secondary logo, I think it was a waste of time and money to make the new oval logos.

6a00d834515db069e2010536b5e322970c-800wi

Reactions: ianoconnor

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
The whirly Cy should never be the primary logo..especially that crapfest with blue in it. I have gotten nothing but positive comments when I travel with I-State gear on.

Cy should be a mascot, not a logo

While I agree the I-State gear looks great for the most part, the main reason given for the makeover was that Iowa State needed to have a nationally recognizable logo. I-State does nothing for that at all. I was a fan of the twister cy because it combined our school team name with our mascot. Thought it was a great blend. And now that they have gotten rid of the blue I like it even better. Being that we are the ONLY school that uses the name cyclones, I don't know how you don't incorporate that into a logo if you are looking to be unique and recognizable, whether you include Cy or not.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
This is easily my favorite secondary logo, I think it was a waste of time and money to make the new oval logos.

6a00d834515db069e2010536b5e322970c-800wi

If I was not clear, this is the logo I was referencing. Thanks for posting. I would have but me not good with posting images :smile: This would look amazing on a white or yellow helmet with the rest of the FB unis the same. Would also look nice at middle court for bball.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
While I agree the I-State gear looks great for the most part, the main reason given for the makeover was that Iowa State needed to have a nationally recognizable logo. I-State does nothing for that at all. I was a fan of the twister cy because it combined our school team name with our mascot. Thought it was a great blend. And now that they have gotten rid of the blue I like it even better. Being that we are the ONLY school that uses the name cyclones, I don't know how you don't incorporate that into a logo if you are looking to be unique and recognizable, whether you include Cy or not.

I-State is MUCH more nationally recognized than an obsure Taz Cy. And I agree, we should just have the old tornado as our logo...and Cy should still be JUST the mascot.

Reactions: Clones33

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
neither logo will be recognized nationally until there is consistent winning. The fightingCy/TwistingCy was never recognized nationally and was used when we actually had success. I love the philosophy behind it but it was too cluttered and hard to distinguish on TV. I State is classic and will stand the test of time. Very clear, very concise, easy to see. If it is confused for Idaho St, Indiana St, Illinois St, etc then that is more areflection on poor athletic performance than the logo itself.
BTW-Having livedd in Illinois and Wisconsin during the Fighting Cy era...many big televen fans(idiots) confused us with Illinois St because of the Cardinal.

daphins

Jun 9, 2010
Hated the new logos when they came out. It looks like the AD went to Abercrombie and Fitch and bought retro logos to slap on our helmets.

It was done very cloak and dagger, and it wasn't appreciated by students on campus. They cited the fact that we needs to stand out, then proceeded to take the mascot off of our helmet (we were one of only 15 or so teams who did that nationally) off our helmet and replaced it with an I.

The accompanying article in the daily didn't help matters either. It was like a bad studio review with the design firm rationalizing their shoddy design while the rest of the studio is too polite to ask "how did you get in here?"

Still hate that they did that. If they want to be recognizable they need to win, not get sucked into a marketing teams sales pitch.

The logo has grown on me a bit overtime, but it was an incredible waste of money and IMO a big step back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
The new logo is much better than the tornado chicken. That never made sense to me. I was favoring just going for "STATE" in Cardinal and Gold. It's bold and even with I-State there can be confusion with Idaho State, Illinois State. My second choice would have been go with a Cyclone, because it is unique to ISU. If you see Cyclones it would have to be Iowa State. That said, I hated the blue, and our color scheme now is a huge improvement and just for that it was a good change.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I love the new revamped whirly cy. I wish i could find more merchandise with it on it. I State logo is growing on me very slowly, but like everyone else, those oval ones are hideious.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It was done very cloak and dagger, and it wasn't appreciated by students on campus.

What's with this "cloak and dagger" talk? Is there something in the ISU charter which states that students, or fans, or public have to be intimately involved in any athletic department logo change?