Red's Alehouse in North Liberty, IA

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Ate/drank there last night. I was incredibly impressed. In short for those of you who just stuck your nose into the thread to see what it was about: Medium sized restaurant with good, non bar food and incredible beer selection on tap. I dont recall seeing any "typical" domestics on tap.

The website:

http://redsalehousenl.com/

The Beer List:

http://redsalehousenl.com/our-beers/draft-beer

Now more in depth:

Went there last night for my Uncles 50th birthday. He owns a bar and is real into trying new beers, so he took us to Red's. Upon walking into the front door, I thought it was just your typical Iowa family owned restaurant. Once I turned the corner to grab a drink from the bar, I immediately noticed what set this place apart. Where most "fancy" restaurants have their daily menu, Red's has their beer list (see above). They have zero typical "domestics" on tap. If you want a Bud, Miller, or Coors, you'll get it in a bottle.

The beer was pretty reasonably priced IMO. Most of the draft beers they have, have kegs that cost a fortune. Red's manages to keep the draft prices down so that the typical curious beer drinker can afford to try a few.

The food menu was alright. Reasonably priced. Good service. The food came out in good time and no one in our party of 15 had any complaints, which is rather rare with this group.

What set this place off to me, and what makes me want to take a return trip (aside from the beers) was the atmosphere. Indoors, there is a fireplace (gas) to keep patrons warm. Outdoors during the summer and fall, there are firepits. I think that is a fantastic and different business idea to set a mood and to set the venue apart from other restaurants.

The downside:

They aren't exactly Cyclone friendly. North Liberty is only 20 minutes outside of Iowa City, so I suppose that is reasonable.

Hawkcigar

Oct 22, 2006
Yeah, it's a good place to go and the outside patio area is really nice. I think Red's is owned by the people who used to have Sluggers in Coralville before the flood.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Red's is great. The food is decent but nothing to write home about, but the atmosphere is great and the beer selection is second to none in the state. I live nearby and I probably go there at least once a weekend.

I've never gotten more than a lighthearted ribbing from anyone for wearing Cyclone stuff in there, though I've never tried getting them to put on a Cyclone game, so I don't know if they'd be willing to do that.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
... good place for food...

... GREAT place for beer and a taxi...

... if I could bathe in grapefruit and hops... Boulevard Tank 7 gets my vote everytime...:cool:

Tried this and the Bell's Expedition Stout which was interesting to say the least.

ferdnand1

Mar 24, 2006
Ate/drank there last night. I was incredibly impressed. In short for those of you who just stuck your nose into the thread to see what it was about: Medium sized restaurant with good, non bar food and incredible beer selection on tap. I dont recall seeing any "typical" domestics on tap.

The website:

http://redsalehousenl.com/

The Beer List:

http://redsalehousenl.com/our-beers/draft-beer

Now more in depth:

Went there last night for my Uncles 50th birthday. He owns a bar and is real into trying new beers, so he took us to Red's. Upon walking into the front door, I thought it was just your typical Iowa family owned restaurant. Once I turned the corner to grab a drink from the bar, I immediately noticed what set this place apart. Where most "fancy" restaurants have their daily menu, Red's has their beer list (see above). They have zero typical "domestics" on tap. If you want a Bud, Miller, or Coors, you'll get it in a bottle.

The beer was pretty reasonably priced IMO. Most of the draft beers they have, have kegs that cost a fortune. Red's manages to keep the draft prices down so that the typical curious beer drinker can afford to try a few.

The food menu was alright. Reasonably priced. Good service. The food came out in good time and no one in our party of 15 had any complaints, which is rather rare with this group.

What set this place off to me, and what makes me want to take a return trip (aside from the beers) was the atmosphere. Indoors, there is a fireplace (gas) to keep patrons warm. Outdoors during the summer and fall, there are firepits. I think that is a fantastic and different business idea to set a mood and to set the venue apart from other restaurants.

The downside:

They aren't exactly Cyclone friendly. North Liberty is only 20 minutes outside of Iowa City, so I suppose that is reasonable.

looks like a great place. thanks for the heads up, since i'm 20 minutes away.

There are cheaper deals--Fieldhouse in CR has daily 'beer of the day' 3-6 pm for $2 pint/$3 large mug

I ordered a Hoegaarden white belgium wheat, and a Boulevard last time. excellent prices...best around

Mondo's 'Saloon' in downtown IC has similiar beer specials

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
There are cheaper deals--Fieldhouse in CR has daily 'beer of the day' 3-6 pm for $2 pint/$3 large mug

This would require going to the Fieldhouse though. It might be cheaper, but unless you're 18 and trying to pick up drunk freshman girls, Red's is a vastly, vastly superior experience.

Last edited:

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
I'm surprised they have Bell's Two-Hearted. It finally just came back to Chicago within the last year and was pretty sure it wasn't being sold in Iowa. Awesome IPA. Will have to check this place out next time I'm back in Iowa.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'm surprised they have Bell's Two-Hearted. It finally just came back to Chicago within the last year and was pretty sure it wasn't being sold in Iowa. Awesome IPA. Will have to check this place out next time I'm back in Iowa.

Dirty John's grocery in Iowa City does their beer. And if there is one place in Iowa City that I am willing to support with no reservations, it is Dirty John's.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron