ISU FB on sportsnation

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
sportsnation is doing worst of 2010 and the two point attempt against Neb. is one of the nominees. So far it has made it past the first round.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
A lot of people will say that was a good decision. Maybe they forgot about a hurricane wind.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
If they're referring to the call, that's asanine. If they're referring to the throw itself...well, it wasn't great, unfortunately.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
The play was there, the wind is not an excuse. It was poorly executed, but a great call. Anyone who nominates it as being a "worst call of 2010" doesn't understand the game situation at that point.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I also don't think it belonged on there. I just happened to be watching and saw it. I love how except for the CPR Neb locker room clip ESPN always find a way to have a laugh at our expense.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The call was excellent - the receiver was wide open in the middle of the end zone. The backup punter has to make that throw, though - I don't care whether the wind was calm or blowing at 100 MPH. They practiced that play dozens of times in practice and CPR was confident the play would work, and it would have, if the backup punter wouldn't have thrown it so bad my two year old daughter has made better throws. Call was perfect, execution was anything but.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
For all the people saying it was a great call but bad execution, doesn't a coach have to factor in how the play is going to be executed when he's calling it? Rhoads obviously knew it was a backup punter throwing the ball into the wind.
I'm not saying at all it was a bad call btw.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
For all the people saying it was a great call but bad execution, doesn't a coach have to factor in how the play is going to be executed when he's calling it? Rhoads obviously knew it was a backup punter throwing the ball into the wind.
Not necessarily. CPR said it worked great in practice over and over, otherwise, he never would have went for it. I'm sure he told the punter to make sure he puts enough steam on the ball since it was windy. But, he can say everything in the world, but execution is still up to the player performing it.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

They had been practicing the play to be prepared for that moment. The wind had little to do with the incomplete pass, the backup punter choked in the moment. If the coach had just reached into the playbook and brought up this play without having practiced it since August, then I would agree that it would have been a bad decision.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Not necessarily. CPR said it worked great in practice over and over, otherwise, he never would have went for it. I'm sure he told the punter to make sure he puts enough steam on the ball since it was windy. But, he can say everything in the world, but execution is still up to the player performing it.

They had been practicing the play to be prepared for that moment. The wind had little to do with the incomplete pass, the backup punter choked in the moment. If the coach had just reached into the playbook and brought up this play without having practiced it since August, then I would agree that it would have been a bad decision.
I know they practiced it and I'm sure it worked in practice but I'm still not convinced many coaches around the country would have put the biggest play of the season in the hands of the backup punter. Maybe Les Miles. Again, I'm not bashing the call.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It was a good call, but sending the offense out there would have been a better call.

Our offense was on fire at that point and had some momentum. Arnaud and Williams were carving 'em up good.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I know they practiced it and I'm sure it worked in practice but I'm still not convinced many coaches around the country would have put the biggest play of the season in the hands of the backup punter. Maybe Les Miles. Again, I'm not bashing the call.
Well, if we had anybody in there besides our usual place holder, it wouldn't have been very "tricky".
That being said, I like the call to go for 2, but I think we should have just had our regular offense out there and went for it, straight up.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
It was a good call, but sending the offense out there would have been a better call.

Our offense was on fire at that point and had some momentum. Arnaud and Williams were carving 'em up good.
If I were coaching I wouldn't have gone for two. Maybe in the next overtime but not the first one. We had so much momentum on offense and I think that would have carried over to D. Obviously this means nothing and I'm probably in the minority but at the time I was really looking forward to taking the next overtime.