What Q/B controversy

Capello

Sep 21, 2010
You think we have an interesting competition coming up this spring with our Q/B competition, you should be out east here in Penn State land!! Coach Paterno unbelievably decided to start a true freshman at Q/B this year Rob Bolden from Michigan. Rob got injured mid-way through the season(concusion) and Coach Paterno turned to a walk-on sophmore Matt McGloin to replace him. Here lies the problem, Q/B Bolden was cleared to play after several weeks but did not see the field except for some meaningless minutes at the end of the game. Penn State played Florida New Years day and walk-on McGloin had a bad day at the Q/B position throwing five interceptions, but finishing the game. Rob and his father thought he should have played some ssince he was the starter at the beginning of the season and he was cleared to play and it was also just a bowl game. Remember several years ago Penn State loss another Q/B Pat Devlin who transfered out of Penn State to Delaware (who by the way will be playing this evening for the FCS championship with Devlin under center). Now to the point, Rob Bolden and his father requested he be released from his scholarship,and unexpectally Coach Paterno refused to release him.My question is, can a coach refuse to release you from your scholarship and have it upheld? No we are not looking but thought it was an interesting story. No one said also where Bolden would like to play since he is from Michigan. To add to the story they have another Q/B Kevin Newsome who wants to also be released.

Tom Capello

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
You think we have an interesting competition coming up this spring with our Q/B competition, you should be out east here in Penn State land!! Coach Paterno unbelievably decided to start a true freshman at Q/B this year Rob Bolden from Michigan. Rob got injured mid-way through the season(concusion) and Coach Paterno turned to a walk-on sophmore Matt McGloin to replace him. Here lies the problem, Q/B Bolden was cleared to play after several weeks but did not see the field except for some meaningless minutes at the end of the game. Penn State played Florida New Years day and walk-on McGloin had a bad day at the Q/B position throwing five interceptions, but finishing the game. Rob and his father thought he should have played some ssince he was the starter at the beginning of the season and he was cleared to play and it was also just a bowl game. Remember several years ago Penn State loss another Q/B Pat Devlin who transfered out of Penn State to Delaware (who by the way will be playing this evening for the FCS championship with Devlin under center). Now to the point, Rob Bolden and his father requested he be released from his scholarship,and unexpectally Coach Paterno refused to release him.My question is, can a coach refuse to release you from your scholarship and have it upheld? No we are not looking but thought it was an interesting story. No one said also where Bolden would like to play since he is from Michigan. To add to the story they have another Q/B Kevin Newsome who wants to also be released.

Tom Capello

I thought scholarships were renewed year to year, so as long as the one wasn't signed for next year, he would be out of it.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
Now to the point, Rob Bolden and his father requested he be released from his scholarship,and unexpectally Coach Paterno refused to release him.My question is, can a coach refuse to release you from your scholarship and have it upheld? No we are not looking but thought it was an interesting story. No one said also where Bolden would like to play since he is from Michigan. To add to the story they have another Q/B Kevin Newsome who wants to also be released.

The kid can still leave and still play at any college of his choice but if the coach/school doesn't release you, he would not be able to accept a scholarship from the new school. At least that is how I understand it.

This is a very sticky situation where 17-18 year old kids are asked to make a decision that will in reality have a major impact on the rest of their life. As a parent I don't like it that a coach with millions of dollars at stake gets to make that decision. To make things worse that same coach might leave at any time for any # of reasons.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I thought scholarships were renewed year to year, so as long as the one wasn't signed for next year, he would be out of it.
FB scholarships are not year to year. I don't know about other sports.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Here's the specific NCAA Rule:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/DownloadPublication.aspx?download=D111.pdf
15.02.7 Period of Award.

The period of award begins when the student-athlete receives any benefits as a part of the student’s grant-in-aid on the first day of classes for a particular academic term, or the first day of practice, whichever is earlier, until the conclusion of the period set forth in the financial aid agreement. An athletics grant-in-aid shall not be awarded in excess of one academic year.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
if he doesn't get released he can tranfer but loses a year of eligibility while he sits correct?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I believe it is his LOI that he has to be released from, not his scholarship. Also, I was under the impression that he could get a scholarship after the year he sat for transferring. It was just that no other coaches could contact him until he started classes at the new school. These may be rules for other sports, but I remember something like this happening a few years ago.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
if he doesn't get released he can tranfer but loses a year of eligibility while he sits correct?

I think this is right. If he is released he can go play right away somewhere else but if they refuse to release him he has to sit a year. I don't think there is any way a coach can keep a player from leaving.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Tom Capello

I don't know. First a post about Rivals.com, now one about transfer rules. Your post says you are not looking but one wonders, particularly as scholarships open up at Penn State.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

Tom Capello
What is stupid about this whole thing, is PSU can give him a conditional release that restricts him from going to certain schools. If they deny his release, he can sit a year, go JUCO, and then sign anywhere he wants. I wonder if he could "walk on" at a school. that way he could still go where he wants and then start learning the system

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think this is right. If he is released he can go play right away somewhere else but if they refuse to release him he has to sit a year. I don't think there is any way a coach can keep a player from leaving.

He has to sit out a year if he transfers to another D-1 school whether or not he is released. The only difference is that if he is not released he will have to pay his own way next year. After that he will be able to be on scholarship.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
He has to sit out a year if he transfers to another D-1 school whether or not he is released. The only difference is that if he is not released he will have to pay his own way next year. After that he will be able to be on scholarship.

Gotcha. I suppose that is the reason so many kids go JUCO for that year they have to sit out then get back to D1?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Rob Bolden has the stereotypical "involved" helicopter dad who announced to the media (and anyone else who would listen) right after the bowl game that his son was fed up and looking to transfer. What kind of father does that?
FYI, Bolden's mom has criticized her son's father and thinks her son should stay at PSU and toughen up.
Keep in mind this player started as QB in his true freshman year, and could start for three more.
Dad, get a hobby and stay out of your son's life.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Rob Bolden has the stereotypical "involved" helicopter dad who announced to the media (and anyone else who would listen) right after the bowl game that his son was fed up and looking to transfer. What kind of father does that?
FYI, Bolden's mom has criticized her son's father and thinks her son should stay at PSU and toughen up.
Keep in mind this player started as QB in his true freshman year, and could start for three more.
Similar to TMagic?

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com

That's just turble turble advice. Don't make decisions for your children, but every parent should learn to stay involved with their children and teach them make their own decisions.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I don't know. First a post about Rivals.com, now one about transfer rules. Your post says you are not looking but one wonders, particularly as scholarships open up at Penn State.

I hope not! I'm hoping to see Capello play QB at ISU someday (maybe even starting next year?).