ESPN fires Ron Franklin

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Overreaction. SIck of stuff like this. He made a small mistake.

you_serious_clark.png

Franklin has a history of demeaning his female coworkers. He got a warning last time he did it, and he did it on the air. He deserved to get fired.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Apparently, he called her "sweet-baby" which is odd. Sweetcakes I have heard before, but "sweet baby"? Then he calls her an @#$hole for standing up for herself. An innocent remark is one thing, this is mean-spirited and action had to be taken. Don't know any job where you get away with talking to someone of either sex like that without reprimand.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Well that sucks. What he said was stupid, but not much harm was done imo. He's pretty good for football, but probably my favorite basketball pbp guy. He was great with Fran, and was awesome when paired with Jon Sunvold back in the day.

Can Ron for a behind the scenes incident, but allow asshats like Vitale to butcher every broadcast that he's a part of.....classic ESPN.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
you_serious_clark.png

Franklin has a history of demeaning his female coworkers. He got a warning last time he did it, and he did it on the air. He deserved to get fired.

He's 90 years old, and he called her sweetcakes. Pretty stupid reason to fire the guy. I personally think he should have been forced out earlier, not for "demeaning" women, but for being relly freakin old, and being terrible at his job.

Maybe they used this story to can him, like they have probably been wanting to do for a while.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Unfortunate, he was a very good BBall announcer. There had to be more to it.....no way somebody gets fired, suspended yes, but not fired for something like that.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Unfortunate, he was a very good BBall announcer. There had to be more to it.....no way somebody gets fired, suspended yes, but not fired for something like that.

I really enjoyed the Ron-Fran Big 12 team, but I would have to say a 2nd infraction for making a sexist comment, followed by calling her A-H*** deserves termination.

Neckbeard

Dec 20, 2008
Ron had more than few moments of on-air senility but I like him and Fran. He's been doing Big 12 games for years now.

I don't know why he called her sweet-baby. Plastic face or Reptile face are more accurate. Sorry if that's harsh but stretching your face beyond recognition isn't a good look.

Reactions: Irresponsible

Cyznutz

Jan 6, 2009
Illinois
I use to call are waitress at hooters "sweetcakes" all the time! She would smile everytime! I don't see the big deal! I like the part where he called her an A-Hole! Thats classic and classy!

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I think it's ESPN's fault for putting him with a woman. He obviously doesn't know the era we live in. :jimlad:

He will be missed as an announcer.