When will we learn to stop reaching at the goal-line?

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
I know it didn't hurt us this time, but we were very close to having a touchback called had they had time to review the play. I don't think it was a touchdown.

Unless it's 4th down, I would hope we've learned our reaching lesson.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Didn't see the game...so please fill in the blanks. What situation are you talking about?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
WHAT????? I am guessing you are talking about the Nickel touchdown where meyer flipped him the ball, which was a touchdown. The only way that would of not been called a touchdown is if they claimed he did not have control of the ball, where it would of been imcomplete....where are you getting this touchback stuff from?

colocy

Apr 11, 2006
He fumbled when he reached into the goal line, ABC talked about it didn't you see it?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yes, but once the ball crosses the plane, it a touchdown regardless of what happenes after the ball crosses the plane. The only reason they could of called it back was because he did not have controll of it when it crossed the plane.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
He had control until he hit the pylon, which knocked the ball loose. The moment the inside of the pylon is touched, "TOUCHDOWN!"

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
There's only a handful of people on this board who would complain about a great touchdown play. Congratulations, Clone2thebone.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
There's only a handful of people on this board who would complain about a great touchdown play. Congratulations, Clone2thebone.
Dont get me wrong, I am not complaing. That play was an awesome read by Meyer and an even greater effort by Nickel. I am just saying the ONLY way that could of been deemed not a TD was if they said he did not have control. Knowing the circumstances of the play, I can guarentee it was looked at by the replay officials and they saw no reason to review it.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
Must've just been me and the announcers who came back from a commercial to question it. I forgot to put my cyclone blinders on when watching the game.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Did someone just make a post about NOT reaching at the goalline? This isn't junior high football.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Must've just been me and the announcers who came back from a commercial to question it. I forgot to put my cyclone blinders on when watching the game.

LOL! I think you forgot to put your glasses on. I would probably agree with the announcers who continuely called McCarney by McCarthey.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
ABC probably did not have the camera angle to prove that he had not broke the plane, so they let old dogs lie. And ABC wanted a tighter game. And the replay people were alseep at the switch. The play was the highlight of the season for me.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
This was obviously a touchdown by Nickel. He had control, and on the replay, it was clearly shown. The point I am now arguing is that simply crossing the plain results in a touchdown. If this were true, then Jason Harris' fumble against Baylor last year should have been a touchdown. He was holding the ball over the endzone when it was knocked loose. The problem was no part of his body had come into contact with the endzone. I wondered if this was just an NCAA thing because in the NFL it would have been 6.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This was obviously a touchdown by Nickel. He had control, and on the replay, it was clearly shown. The point I am now arguing is that simply crossing the plain results in a touchdown. If this were true, then Jason Harris' fumble against Baylor last year should have been a touchdown. He was holding the ball over the endzone when it was knocked loose. The problem was no part of his body had come into contact with the endzone. I wondered if this was just an NCAA thing because in the NFL it would have been 6.
Good point...you might be right on that one i am not sure....but to correct one thing, was'nt it Greg Coleman last year who made that fumble against Baylor?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

No part of your body has to touch anything in the endzone. The ball must cross the plane, that's it as far as I know....

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Did someone just make a post about NOT reaching at the goalline? This isn't junior high football.

I thought it was a good play by Nickel but it was also nearly a disaster. If the replay officials deemed that Nickel fumbled the ball before it crossed the line, then it would have been a touchback for Texas. They get the ball at the 20, and ISU gets nothing.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
It may have been Greg Coleman (I thought they both fumbled in that game but couldn't remember which one did so in the end zone), but the ball did cross the plain on his run, otherwise it would not have fallen straight down and into the endzone.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I thought it was a good play by Nickel but it was also nearly a disaster. If the replay officials deemed that Nickel fumbled the ball before it crossed the line, then it would have been a touchback for Texas. They get the ball at the 20, and ISU gets nothing.

If the replay officials deemed that a fumble, that would have been in the same league as the OU vs. Oregon fiasco.(other than having BCS implications) The ball did not come loose till he was across the goal line after hitting the touchdown marker. It was obvious on the replays. And the argument about reaching???? That was a heads up play by Nickel and there was no defender to strip the ball. It would have been a lot different if Nickel was running into a pile of players and reaching with the ball in the middle of that mess. This was a great play and one heck of an effort by our offense.

CLONE2THEBONE....You make the smarta.. comment about not having your Cyclone goggles on. I am trying to figure out what kind of goggles you are wearing, but they are not cardinal and gold that is for sure.:no6xn:

Help Support Us

Become a patron