GPS help

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
I have a Garmin Nuvi 255wt and a Tom Tom XL 335t. I want to return one of them and keep the best one but I'm not sure which one that is. HAs anyone had any experience with these models?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I have the 255wt Garmin and love it. Make sure and update the maps within a month of turning it on though. You may have to try a couple different USB cables to get it so your computer recognizes it though. Only drawback with mine.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
Looks like it is 3 for the Garmin so far, what do you guys think are the advantages of the Garmin over the Tom Tom are?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I have a TomTom, parents have a Garmin, like their Garmin a LOT more than my stupid TomTom. I have yet to fall off the map with the Garmin. I've fallen off multiple times with the TomTom.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Looks like it is 3 for the Garmin so far, what do you guys think are the advantages of the Garmin over the Tom Tom are?

I think they both use the same base mapping system but was told by a buddy who works for Garmin that their routing algorithms have the lowest percentage of odd and stray routes compared to others.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I think a big part of it for me is just habbit. This is my 3rd garmin so I'm used to where everything is at. With that said, the GPS and my Android is pretty amazing and does a lot of things better than the Garmin.

I also use the European maps on my Garmin and they have always been accurate. I also like the city explorer feature that has a different map for big cities. It tells you exactly what buses, trains, subway, walking, etc to take and has been a big help. I don't think all Garmins can do this though.

The thing I hate about Garmin and I think every other GPS maker is the cost of their map updates. I ended up splurging on mine when I bought it 3 years ago and getting the lifetime maps but l only did this because I bought an expensive unit. For other family members I usually just recommend that they replace their whole GPS since it's usually cheaper than buying the maps themselves and they are getting improved technology.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
I'm kind of looking for a comparison of these two models in particular. Has anyone used one of these exact models?