If I was Paul Rhoads...

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I'd be pretty mad about our bad attendance figures this year. Not going to say this would cause him to take another job, but we really, really, really need to step it up next year, especially if he's on the sidelines next year.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Agreed but it wasn't THAT bad. If he keeps putting up the Ws consistently then the Tshirt fans will come. A bowl this year would've been huge.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If I were Paul Rhoads, I would understand that it may take a couple of years for some of the fans that are still stinging from being Chizzed to come back.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't know that wins are really the problem right now. I know it isn't a popular excuse, but I think the economy has taken a toll on attendance. With the number of young families in our fanbase, I think that a lot of people are opting for single games and hillside rather than the full season tickets. Getting tickets for a family of four (or more) is pretty expensive.

I also don't think that the number of night games helped the ticket sales either. For the fans outside of central Iowa, you pretty much have to get a hotel room when the games don't end until after 10:00. For one or two games that's not a huge deal, but when 5 of the 7 home games were at night it also gets expensive. For hotel rooms in Ames, that's an additional $500 for the season. Perhaps the next TV deal will feature more 11:00 games so this isn't so much of a problem in the future.

Reactions: InCytful

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You don't have to imagine because Rhoads has said how disappointing our crowds have been over and over again this year. He clearly feels that his teams have earned better.

Rhoads has been pretty vocal on calling us as fans out on our ****. And that's why I don't make any sweeping statements about how much he loves it here and how he would never leave until the job is done, and other such nonsense.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Iowa State fans will make excuses for everything. EVERYTHING.

"Kick was at 6PM. No can do."
"It's too cold!"
"Time for the harvest."
"Kick is at 11am. Way too early."

Guess what? Iowa does this same crap, and they never have issues finding 70,585 people to pile into Kinnick Stadium. Our attendance against Oklahoma State in 2009 was absolutely pathetic, and our attendance against Missouri this year was pathetic. No excuse for that, period. Iowa played Penn State and it was colder than hell in 2009. Guess what? They found 70,585 people to go into Kinnick Stadium even though the game was on ABC/ESPN.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't buy the you have to live in central iowa to make a night game without a hotel...my parents along with numerous others I know drive from CR...a two hour drive for each game no matter the time. That being said anything much more than that I see your complaint but those people will probably not be there to begin with.

Harvest may be a viable excuse, I would like to see a study or something on how many of our season ticket holders are farmers or help others harvest. One side of my family farms so I completely understand why if they have good weather they harvest.

The rest of the excuses are bs imo. The people we tailgated with at iowa this year had one family that drove to des moines that morning from cr to drop their sons off at a soccer tournament drove to ic for the game then drove back to des moines after to pick them up and were debating drive back to cr that night too. They were hawk fans. Plain and simply you want to be there your there.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
If you really listen to Rhoads talk you can tell he's frustrated with the lack of fan support. He's thrilled with the people who do support the program but he's clearly disappointed to see 40k in the stands at times for conference games. I think he's really puzzled by it.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I don't buy the you have to live in central iowa to make a night game without a hotel...my parents along with numerous others I know drive from CR...a two hour drive for each game no matter the time. That being said anything much more than that I see your complaint but those people will probably not be there to begin with.

Harvest may be a viable excuse, I would like to see a study or something on how many of our season ticket holders are farmers or help others harvest. One side of my family farms so I completely understand why if they have good weather they harvest.

The rest of the excuses are bs imo. The people we tailgated with at iowa this year had one family that drove to des moines that morning from cr to drop their sons off at a soccer tournament drove to ic for the game then drove back to des moines after to pick them up and were debating drive back to cr that night too. They were hawk fans. Plain and simply you want to be there your there.

This.

Either you care enough or you don't. Some might not like to hear it, but piling on these excuses does nobody any good. If you live in Iowa, get to the game. If it is cold, wear a coat.

Also, if you are there to tailgate, buy a ******* ticket and watch the game. If half of the people who stayed in the lots went to the game we would fill the actual seats and JT and the hillsides every game.

Reactions: wxman1

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR

I know two couples who drive from Sioux City for EVERY game...including the Thursday opener. If you WANT to be there, you CAN.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
If you really listen to Rhoads talk you can tell he's frustrated with the lack of fan support. He's thrilled with the people who do support the program but he's clearly disappointed to see 40k in the stands at times for conference games. I think he's really puzzled by it.

Like it's already been said, our fanbase will make up every excuse not to go to a game. It's quite pathetic to listen to some of them. There are 7 freaking home games in a year, every Saturday we play at home should be like a national holiday where everyone goes to the game. But for whatever reason, we like to sit on our butts at home instead of actually going.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
This.

Either you care enough or you don't. Some might not like to hear it, but piling on these excuses does nobody any good. If you live in Iowa, get to the game. If it is cold, wear a coat.

Also, if you are there to tailgate, buy a ******* ticket and watch the game. If half of the people who stayed in the lots went to the game we would fill the actual seats and JT and the hillsides every game.

That's another pain in my side. I have never bought from a scalper but I find it hard to believe that they drop if at all below face value maybe I am wrong. If you are going to buy a ticket buy from the fricking athletic department give the money to the school and department you are supporting not some bum that's trying to make a buck. Sorry if I offend anyone with that but I have never understood it. I REALLY wish we would also get rid of our re-entry policy but god knows the ******** that would happen if that came down...

I love this school with my heart and soul but am sick and tired of the excuses. Although I know deep down winning will help and there will always be the t-shirt fans.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Well, if I was Paul Rhoads, I would be damn happy that I'm doing a job I love and that I get paid seven figures for it. Control the things you can control, such as wins and losses, and don't worry about the things you can't control, such as how many fans are in attendance.

Reactions: yCy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Iowa State fans will make excuses for everything. EVERYTHING.

"Kick was at 6PM. No can do."
"It's too cold!"
"Time for the harvest."
"Kick is at 11am. Way too early."

Guess what? Iowa does this same crap, and they never have issues finding 70,585 people to pile into Kinnick Stadium. Our attendance against Oklahoma State in 2009 was absolutely pathetic, and our attendance against Missouri this year was pathetic. No excuse for that, period. Iowa played Penn State and it was colder than hell in 2009. Guess what? They found 70,585 people to go into Kinnick Stadium even though the game was on ABC/ESPN.

Can we stop comparing to iowa? Realistic or not (not), they had title aspirations. Theyve made BCS bowls. Their demand is greater than supply. They can have 10k people not want to show up just like we do and those 10k tickets will be snatched up by someone else. Doesnt mean you wont hear the same things there or at any other school, complaints about game times, weather, etc. Since our supply is > demand, you notice everyone that has these issues, vs other places, you dont, since someone will snap up those tickets.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That's another pain in my side. I have never bought from a scalper but I find it hard to believe that they drop if at all below face value maybe I am wrong. If you are going to buy a ticket buy from the fricking athletic department give the money to the school and department you are supporting not some bum that's trying to make a buck. Sorry if I offend anyone with that but I have never understood it.
Of course, many buy season tickets, or even extra tickets knowing they can sell tickets they cannot use. If everyone went or had to go to the ticket office, you'd see a dropoff from that side. Conversely, you look at other schools where demand is greater than supply, its a no-brainer to get season tickets, as if you have extra, you can always sell them, increasing demand for season tickets.

I REALLY wish we would also get rid of our re-entry policy but god knows the ******** that would happen if that came down...

The 'problem' from reentry is greatly exaggerated. Not that many leave, the emptiness after half is mostly the people still standing in line for the concessions stands.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Can we stop comparing to iowa? Realistic or not (not), they had title aspirations. Their demand is greater than supply. They can have 10k people not want to show up and those 10k tickets will be snatched up by someone else. Doesnt mean you wont hear the same things there or at any other school, complaints about game times, weather, etc. Since our supply is > demand, you notice everyone that has these issues, vs other places, you dont, since someone will snap up those tickets.

Agreed referring to my first post I have no idea if that couple would have done all that driving for the last game after they had already lost a couple of games. It was the first big game for them and as you stated the hopes were high for the season.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
These threads are always so stupid.

Our base core attendance is 35 to 38k.

we will not get much more for games until a couple of years of sustained winning.

if you people want to complain...send a thank you card to Criner, Walden, McCarney and the Chiz for mediocre to bad football.

That has led to dwindling numbers.

Comparing us to Iowa Hawkeyes is silly.

They have been winning for 25+ years for the most part.

Reactions: cyingreen and yCy

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Can we stop comparing to iowa? Realistic or not (not), they had title aspirations. Theyve made BCS bowls. Their demand is greater than supply. They can have 10k people not want to show up just like we do and those 10k tickets will be snatched up by someone else. Doesnt mean you wont hear the same things there or at any other school, complaints about game times, weather, etc. Since our supply is > demand, you notice everyone that has these issues, vs other places, you dont, since someone will snap up those tickets.

This.

I cannot people are dumb enough to compare us to Hawkeye football.